Coming from iPhone need suggestions

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone, I know I know what you're thinking not another "why should i go from iPhone to Fold" thread. But I am fully integrated into the iOS eco system, and have switched back and forth between the Note series as well as iPhone because I missed the simplicity of iOS. Anyways, I'm fully intrigued into switching back to the Fold 3. But there is one thing that has me on the fence and that is the "wearable" options that accompany android phones. What I loved about the iPhone and the Apple Watch is that they "just worked" together, with my old Galaxy Watch 3 (i believe it was that version) it left a lot to be desired comparing it to the Apple Watch. Sooooo I know long story, but what do you suggest as far as working flawlessly with the Fold 3 in the wearable space? Thanks for any help!!! And for those that have switched to the Fold 3 from your iPhone how have you liked the transition?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Coming from a iPhone or any phone is going be a different transition to Fold³.

Is it a good device , definitely without a question and regular phones don't offer what it does , but you need to get a good case to protect maybe also insurance.

As for the watch I'll let others chime in on that .

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest here, I have NEVER had an iPhone/Apple Watch combination, so I CANNOT speak to that experience.

However, I have had just about EVERY Galaxy Watch they made as well as pairing them with Galaxy and Non-Galaxy phones.

The Galaxy Watches paired with a Galaxy Phone is pretty simple, rock solid and just works. I would imagine that you have similar experiences with iPhone/Apple Watch, I would not expect any different.

However, if you want to stay with Apple Watch and Galaxy Phone, prepare for heartache. However, Galaxy Watch with an iPhone, I hear, isn't terrible, but still not as stellar as you would expect with the right combinations.

Even the Galaxy Buds series just work without any hiccups or issues. The Galaxy Phones see Galaxy Devices just like an iPhone sees Apple stuff and then the magic happens and it works.

It is worth checking out some videos on how to pair a Galaxy Watch/Buds to a Galaxy Phone and you will see how easy it is.

This past weekend, my wife upgraded from an S21 to an S22 Ultra and yes, when she connected her watch to the S22U, the phone factory reset it to connect, but then all her settings and whatnot were restored and she didn't have to set anything else up except a few notifications, but all in all, very painless. She just opened her Buds case, the S22U saw them and paired right up.

Hope this helps!

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info everyone! It most certainly helps, @Talderon, I understand that the Apple Watch won't work with the new Fold3 I appreciate that clarification. I was thinking about going with the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and the Fold3, so I'd ASSUME that it should pair and work as the AppleWatch and iPhone without any problems no? And @Mustang, do you suggest insurance because of the "glass cracking" issues that I have been reading about, or is it not as prevelant as some make it out to be? I am very careful with my phones, don't work outdoors, and mainly are within an office environment but will go with a case to keep it safe. Thanks everyone for your help again!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the info everyone! It most certainly helps, @Talderon, I understand that the Apple Watch won't work with the new Fold3 I appreciate that clarification. I was thinking about going with the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and the Fold3, so I'd ASSUME that it should pair and work as the AppleWatch and iPhone without any problems no? And @Mustang, do you suggest insurance because of the "glass cracking" issues that I have been reading about, or is it not as prevelant as some make it out to be? I am very careful with my phones, don't work outdoors, and mainly are within an office environment but will go with a case to keep it safe. Thanks everyone for your help again!
Its a expensive device, and ive been hearing the same but no issues on mine , i guess peace of mind .

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
@mustang7757, anyone purchase "geek squad" protection with their Fold3? I guess that could be a new thread, just seems like it would be an easier avenue to go than dealing with Samsung if I did in fact have any screen issues. Thoughts?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I have the Fold 3 with a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and in all honesty, there was no issues at all. It was so seamless on the pairing and connection, I can't even recall the process it was so smooth and fast.

Seriously, all you have to do is download the Samsung Wear App, start it, turn the watch on and Poof, there it is.

With Buds, all you have to do is open the case near your Galaxy Phone and it just connects and works, maybe 10 seconds to get it going with Buds.

I will give you this piece of advice though:

Replace the factory screen protectors soon.

The one on the smaller outside screen is just a flimsy factory installed one that will start to come off pretty easy. I have a Whitestone Dome Glass on mine, but if you don't want to go that route, at least get a decent Tempered Glass one that you like.

Inside Screen: This is where it can get Dicy. The Whitestone Dome PET FILM is what you want here. Not because it's any better than the factory one (for protection), it's just that the adhesive on the factory one is so weak, that after weeks or months, it will start to peel off at the crease where the inner screen folds.

The Film is a little bit more tricky to install, mainly because the Jig used can seem a little intimidating, but I would check out some videos on installation, check out my post on my installation here if you like: https://www.reddit.com/r/ZFold3/comments/tji7a9/replacing_my_inner_screen_protector_with_the/

Film: https://smile.amazon.com/Whitestone-Premium-folding-Protector-Anti-Bubble/dp/B09LV4WKCM

All in all, once you get things set up, it's so nice and seamless you won't have to worry about it anymore. :D

edit: point of clarification: 75% to 80% of these "screen cracking" issues and other issues with the inner screen have been the factory screen protector. If you really READ many of these posts, there are actually VERY FEW with actual screen issues. I find it silly as all hell the people take their Fold 3's to UBreakIFix to get the screen replaced when it is just the factory screen protector. Don't fall into this category and just put a good one on it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@mustang7757, anyone purchase "geek squad" protection with their Fold3? I guess that could be a new thread, just seems like it would be an easier avenue to go than dealing with Samsung if I did in fact have any screen issues. Thoughts?
I haven't heard most usually go with Samsung, maybe some members can chime in

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I would buy the insurance on it.

As far as the 80% of the screen cracked turn it to be the screen protector, well that could be. It's hard to tell even with my deal it was hard to tell, they said they won't know for sure until they take it off.

As far as taking it to ubreakifix I don't find that ridiculous at all. They are a service center for Samsung/asurion. If you have the Samsung insurance the warranty goes thru asurion, not just the insurance. I made it 8 months before my protector starting coming up on the bottom fold area. You might was well use the factory screen protector as long as you can, and if need be replace it under warranty. There's plenty of horror stories on the whitedome screen protector of installing them. Bubbles, squeaky when folding, first time installers have issues as they haven't done it before, it's new. Me personally, I'll keep the factory screen protectors on for warranty duration, I'm not giving Samsung any reasons to deny warranty, they find enough reasons on their own without my help. I'll fall into the ridiculous party and use ubreakifix, That's me, I had a very good experience with them.

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the input, my new Fold3 should be arriving today via FedEx, and I bought the samsung classic 4 at best buy yesterday, anyone know someone that wants to buy a less than 6 month old AppleWatch 7 haha?

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Might as well keep this thread going, I noticed there isn't a "favorite app on your phone, sticky" do most mods or tweaks that work on say the S22U also work on the fold? And can someone point me in the direction of a good thread that would help with such a thing?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the input, my new Fold3 should be arriving today via FedEx, and I bought the samsung classic 4 at best buy yesterday, anyone know someone that wants to buy a less than 6 month old AppleWatch 7 haha?
I was in a similar boat and just sold my AW7. Warning, the Samsung watches are indeed nice but they're not Apple Watches. ...there's a notable gap in functionality, customization, and performance still, with Apple Watch handily winning, IMO.

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I'm aware thanks tadpoles, I had read that the new "google" type UI is much improved now tho, and I can't wear it to work so it's basically just a weekend thing, and I think I'll be ok with it's functionality. What keyboard and other tweaks is everyone using on these Folds?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I'm aware thanks tadpoles, I had read that the new "google" type UI is much improved now tho, and I can't wear it to work so it's basically just a weekend thing, and I think I'll be ok with it's functionality. What keyboard and other tweaks is everyone using on these Folds?
I am a big time Nova Prime proponent and will always recommend it. However, I have heard...heard, that Niagara launcher is great for the multiple screens of the Fold³ and hopefully, someone can speak to that.

Kboard? Gboard and Samsung's keyboards worked great for me on my Fold³'s...while I had them.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Nova is not multi screen capable and Niagara is nice, but not as robust as I like for the way I want my phone to look/feel.

I am using Sammy's keyboard, although, in the past, I have been a GBoard guy. GBoard just didn't feel good on the Fold 3, but that is more a personal thing than anything. I can't put my finger on anything specific that makes it not work nice for me.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I think when you say that Nova is not multi-screen capable you're noting that you can not have a different inner and outer screen, just one configuration that will be used on both inner and outer screens. That was never a problem for me but I can definitely understand why some might like to have different home screen configurations for both screens.

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks as always for the input. Any suggestions for messaging apps that you are using? I used the Bytesms app on my last Note series, is that still compatible with the Fold3 and is anyone enjoying using it?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks as always for the input. Any suggestions for messaging apps that you are using? I used the Bytesms app on my last Note series, is that still compatible with the Fold3 and is anyone enjoying using it?
I use and love Textra for its customization.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I used to use Textra, it's a good texting app. When I went to the fold 3 I started using Samsung messages as Textra doesn't support the split screen view on inside screen. Now that I have a Samsung tab S8+ using Samsung messages is required for me to take advantage of the share messages and calls on phone and tablet.

clg82

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Well everyone this phone is AMAZZZZZING!!!! Can't believe how boring my old iPhone 13 Pro Max feels now. The phone went thru a TON of updates yesterday and even this morning is installing and downloading some security updates. The watch matched with the phone no problem, biggest problem was getting Verizon on board with switching the service from the old Apple Watch. I do have one question, and more too come i'd imagine.....but when I had the "Always on Display" on, on my old Note, it would literally ALWAYS be on, on this fold with the "AOD" on, it doesn't stay on, when i tap the front screen once it will show the AOD but then goes away, am i missing something here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz