sbtwilmington

Feb 7, 2019
Visit site
Hi Brad....I've also posted in the Samsung Community on this. My issue is exactly the same. I use compass related apps daily for my business and it worked perfectly up until the Pie update (AT&T phone carrier).

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
We have the same problem with both of our Note 9 phones. Compass is off by 90 degrees. Based on all of the posts I've read this does not seem like a carrier related issue. It is a Samsung issue.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Does this not have an impact on driving apps, like Google Maps?

I don’t use the compass ever, but I think most of use use these GPS apps which must have some connection to the compass? Or is direction always based on moves relative to the satellites?

R

GPS will show direction of movement along with speed of movement. Compass will show orientation of map in relation to North. If you are using a map app and driving, the map won't be oriented properly. Heck, it might show you driving cross country. LOL And you look at any GPS testing app, it'll Orient to the direction the phone is facing to accurately reflect the direction of the satellites.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
funny part is, not everyone has this bug. The compass bug is pestering me. But my biggest complaint is that pie DIDN'T bring back the individual personalized text message tones. LOL. I been hollering about that since day one.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
funny part is, not everyone has this bug. The compass bug is pestering me. But my biggest complaint is that pie DIDN'T bring back the individual personalized text message tones. LOL. I been hollering about that since day one.

I am using a version of Textra prior to version 4 where they took that option away. I just have to ensure I don't let it update and I still have different skins and notifications icons for contacts.
I hate "upgrades" with new "features"!
Perhaps that would still work on pie.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I contacted Samsung Customer Support and filed a Support Ticket on the Compass Issue and here is what I received for a reply - I cut off the erly part of the message as it was the bureaucratic part of the message that no one needed to read:

"These feedbacks are the base of any development that comes along. I certainly see you are disappointed with the changes that happened with the update.
I’m extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused due to the update. Though the changes cannot be reverted, however i’ll take it as a priority feedback I hope in future the updates that might release for your model will appease you.
I’ve shared troubleshooting to curb the issue. It might be helpful to sort out the issue. Else repair is the option we have.
-------------------------------------------
Reset app preferences:

NOTE: This would reset all the applications preferences to their defaults but will not delete any data.
Navigate to Apps > Settings > Application Manager > More > Reset App Preferences.
--------------------------------------------------------
If the issue still persist you can ship the device for repair . I’ve provided link below to contact us for the repair.
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/"

I am not about to do this as it would reset too many App Defaults and have me going totally bonkers for a single compass problem - I DON'T CONSIDER THIS A SOLUTION!

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
" I certainly see you are disappointed with the changes that happened with the update.
I’m extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused due to the update. Though the changes cannot be reverted, however i’ll take it as a priority feedback I hope in future the updates that might release for your model will appease you.”

Wait, wait, wait, wait.... I know these people are reading from a prepared script, but they consider it A FEATURE to update a sensor used to calculate direction to be off by 90°? And what possible benefit could be gained by such an improvement? Any reason that they can't just say "oops... We messed up. We'll fix that. Sorry." And be done with it?

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The reply was a complete lack of acknowledgement of the issue you reported. In fact, it's pretty much blaming you and/or your phone for the problem. The really sad thing is, while YOU know better, someone who knows less might take the advice given and ship their phone for "repair" - wasted time and aggravation for nothing. Embarrassing response from Samsung there.
I contacted Samsung Customer Support and filed a Support Ticket on the Compass Issue and here is what I received for a reply - I cut off the erly part of the message as it was the bureaucratic part of the message that no one needed to read:

"These feedbacks are the base of any development that comes along. I certainly see you are disappointed with the changes that happened with the update.
I’m extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused due to the update. Though the changes cannot be reverted, however i’ll take it as a priority feedback I hope in future the updates that might release for your model will appease you.
I’ve shared troubleshooting to curb the issue. It might be helpful to sort out the issue. Else repair is the option we have.
-------------------------------------------
Reset app preferences:

NOTE: This would reset all the applications preferences to their defaults but will not delete any data.
Navigate to Apps > Settings > Application Manager > More > Reset App Preferences.
--------------------------------------------------------
If the issue still persist you can ship the device for repair . I’ve provided link below to contact us for the repair.
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/"

I am not about to do this as it would reset too many App Defaults and have me going totally bonkers for a single compass problem - I DON'T CONSIDER THIS A SOLUTION!

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I pu this up the other day and I'm going to post it again. Go here:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...mpass-error-after-Pie-update/m-p/456626#M9337

This is the samsung support site for the US. The moderators are the ones that report to R&D about stuff that isn't working. What they are collecting is the:

Model number of the phone
Baseband Version
The Carrier.

The exact model number and baseband version can be found under Settings>about Phone>Software information. Everyone so far that seems to be having problem with the compass has baseband version that ends in CSAA. At least, all that have been reported ended in that combination.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I pu this up the other day and I'm going to post it again. Go here:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...mpass-error-after-Pie-update/m-p/456626#M9337

This is the samsung support site for the US. The moderators are the ones that report to R&D about stuff that isn't working. What they are collecting is the:

Model number of the phone
Baseband Version
The Carrier.

The exact model number and baseband version can be found under Settings>about Phone>Software information. Everyone so far that seems to be having problem with the compass has baseband version that ends in CSAA. At least, all that have been reported ended in that combination.

So everyone on pie then , that build number CSAA

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I found another way to calibrate your compass.
Go to Google maps and press on your location blue dot , at the bottom press button to calibrate your compass

Attachments

• 1359.jpg
    1359.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 96

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I know these people are reading from a prepared script, but they consider it A FEATURE to update a sensor used to calculate direction to be off by 90°?

To be fair, the called it a "change." There are plenty of changes out there that are unexpected, unintended, and terrible. Maybe that's what they meant.:p

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Some how, when I read that I had an image pop into my mind eye. The movie "Airplane" when the plane is about to land and all the runway lights go black. The camera cuts to the guy in the tower, holding a thick extension cord waving it around saying "Just Kidding.".

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I found another way to calibrate your compass.
Go to Google maps and press on your location blue dot , at the bottom press button to calibrate your compass

Done.. didn't work. I'll add that to the list of failed attempts. It's not the app that's off center. It's the sensor itself. That, or the programming for that sensor. That sensor feeds all the compass, GPS and mapping apps and all are off by the same amount. Thanks for the attempt though

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Done.. didn't work. I'll add that to the list of failed attempts. It's not the app that's off center. It's the sensor itself. That, or the programming for that sensor. That sensor feeds all the compass, GPS and mapping apps and all are off by the same amount. Thanks for the attempt though

No problem figured be worth a shot

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Just in case you missed you have to do the figure 8 3 times

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174