Complete Newb (unlimited data question)

CMONEYT8KER

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have been grandfathered in to the verizon unlimited data plan. Can I get this phone and use it as my primary internet source? Assuming it is unlocked or rooted whatever u call it.

fogflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have been grandfathered in to the verizon unlimited data plan. Can I get this phone and use it as my primary internet source? Assuming it is unlocked or rooted whatever u call it.

I believe you can root it and tether (wirelessly or wired) without paying for the tethering, or you can pick up an app called Easy Tether that costs 10 bucks and you can use it to tether with a USB cable without being rooted. I used this app on my OG Droid and it worked great. The app is no longer in the market though, but can be purchased on Amazon or elsewhere online.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
The unlimited data transfers if that is what you are asking. I am pretty sure they don't want you tethering without an extra package

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if "easy tether" (a tether with an actual usb cable) is more disguised than the rooted, wireless hotspot type tethering.

I'm not looking to take advantage of Verizon, but in a pinch, I'd like to be able to email an attached word document

fogflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if "easy tether" (a tether with an actual usb cable) is more disguised than the rooted, wireless hotspot type tethering.

I'm not looking to take advantage of Verizon, but in a pinch, I'd like to be able to email an attached word document
I never rooted my OG Droid, mainly because I had Easy Tether. I did not use it heavily, but the internet at my work is spotty and would go out often. I would just plug in the Droid and keep going. Used it a few days a month for two years without a problem.

pharologst

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm grandfathered on the unlimited data, thru two phone changes, and a change in my txt allowances. I was told one would not lose the unlimited data excep if you changed phones (non-smart) that did not use it, or elected to drop it.

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
the only way to use your phone as your main internet source without paying for Verizons hot spot and tether would be to root your device.

I use this one android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting.

Keep in mind when doing this that if you are going through large amounts of data monthly there is a chance you will throw up a red flag to Verizon and they can find out you are using a tether app and not paying for their monthly service and hit you with some hefty fees.

mbentley3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
How can they find out?

I dont know whether they can or cant find out, but I would be surprised if they didnt have a way of tracking that. I use wifi tethering myself and havent had any issues, but I dont use it as my main internet source.

I've also heard of people burning through large amounts of data monthly tethering and according to them Verizon doesnt have a clue...so who knows, just wanted to give a warning to the possibility.

wes-txt

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they can detect if you are tethering, only that your using to much data. I've heard of some guys using 10+ gb of data without any problems, but that doesn't mean that Verizon doesn't notice. Personally, I've tethered my rooted Droid several times using about 2gb of data each time without any extra charges from Verizon.
So, I think you can do it, but just watch your account closely.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

non_sequitur

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
How can they find out? If I were them, I would look at the types of sites you visit. Why would your phone access update feeds for desktop applications? Why would your bionic access the windows update server? Data is not just data to Verizon when they are also the party that routes the data. If they label you as an excessive user, they will see how data is used. It won?t take them long to find a reason to cite you for violating the terms of your service.

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the bionic have wired tethering built in. You just use the usb cord go into the wireless setting and choose wired tethering.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
They can generally find out because processing links, data on websites happens much quicker on a PC than on your phone.

If you're clicking link after link quickly, it's more than likely that you're using a PC to process the data.

Besides. All browsers have a User Agent string that gets passed over the connection..

And.. the computer that's tethering will have a NAT'd 192.168 IP, whereas your phone will not.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a touchy subject. Just because you have unlimited data does not mean you can use it as your primary internet source. Verizon never set that up with the intention of people sucking down 100GB per month, or whatever is typical for a home internet user.

Verizon has a lot of rules for you to play by, and they're right there in the contract. Circumvention can cause you problems if you do it in a way that is flagrantly obvious.

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Whats interesting isn't whether verizon can find out on your particular phone but that this is discussed on an open forum but somehow we think they don't know it's happening. It won't be long before they create a protection that will stop it for everyone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reroseroy