Confirmed Exclusive to VZW in US?

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Just saw this...

Verizon to launch Samsung Galaxy Nexus with LTE - FierceWireless

From the article...

Verizon did not announce specific pricing or availability for the device. A Samsung spokeswoman confirmed to FierceWireless that Verizon will be the exclusive U.S. carrier for the device. When Google and Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Nexus last week they said that starting in November it would be available in the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia.

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Its possible. However if Verizon has the exclusive they usually like to let everyone know. Go read the Droid Razr press release and see how many times they say "exclusive to Verizon Wireless" but with the Galaxy Nexus press release they don't mention it at all.

Another possible scenario is that Verizon is the only carrier given the opportunity to subsidize it. You might be able to buy it unlocked on T-Mobile and AT&T bands. (At third party retailers and/or directly from Google)

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Knowing Big Red as I do, they would have been all over mentioning that it was exclusive the first time they mentioned anything about it. Also, they wouldn't have thrown a Friday PM announcement out there and neglect to put it front and center on their website's main page. I believe everyone who still has AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile will get a crack at this phone, but likely later this year or early next year as opposed to November 10th when Verizon is rumored to launch it.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Read a report in the Droid-Life app., that claims someone over at, BriefMobile, came across an internal receipt from within Sprint, has a scheduled shipping date of 10/17/11 listed. Which indicates there going to start shipping out promotional material for their Galaxy Nexus variant out to stores. Seems odd that it's being referred to as the Nexus Prime, though. Judging by that, I take it w/ a grain of salt, for the time being.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe Verizon could have a launch exclusive, but I can't imagine Google would shoot themselves in the foot by not releasing it for other US carriers at all.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Read a report that claims someone over at, BriefMobile, came across an internal receipt from within Sprint, has a scheduled shipping date of 10/17/11 listed. Which indicates there going to start shipping out promotional material for their Galaxy Nexus variant out to stores. Seems odd that it's being referred to as the Nexus Prime, though. Judging by that, I take it w/ a grain of salt, for the time being.

'Nexus Prime' was the code name for the Galaxy Nexus.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
'Nexus Prime' was the code name for the Galaxy Nexus.

Since I read it today, somehow even after typing the original date into the post, I had a brain fart. I forgot that this report was dated prior to the unpacking event in Hong Kong when the Prime codename got nixed. That makes perfect sense on the timeline, everyone was still referring to it as Droid/Nexus Prime, at the time. Good catch.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
The amazing thing to me is that nobody in any of these big companies has leaked the dates of (hopefully) AT&T launch. It is amazing how well kept this info is.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Why would carriers plan to sell a phone that's a slightly different version of a GS2? No one has answered that question. Sprint is promoting the GS2. Why would they be in a rush to sell the Nexus?

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
It will most likely be on other carriers at some point in the future.

I agree too that if it was a verizon exclusive it would of been plastered all over their press release.

Verizon will be first with others to follow late this year or early next.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Why would carriers plan to sell a phone that's a slightly different version of a GS2? No one has answered that question. Sprint is promoting the GS2. Why would they be in a rush to sell the Nexus?

If they sold the sold the Nexus S even though they already had a Samsung Epic, then I think they would sell the Galaxy Nexus even though we already have an E4GT.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The amazing thing to me is that nobody in any of these big companies has leaked the dates of (hopefully) AT&T launch. It is amazing how well kept this info is.

My guess, pure speculation, is that it's not that the other carriers are trying to hide that info. I don't think the carriers stateside can make that info. available. They're likely hogtied from doing so during Verizons "exclusive" launch period. They certainly wouldn't go public before Verizon got a concrete intinerary for their launch. On another note, what truly is amazing is that HTC & Verizon have hidden the Rezound/Vigor specs. for so long. It's on the heels of the leaked MAP date, & there has yet been concrete specs. for the device listed anywhere, it's still very vague on details. Hell, the accessories are better known than the phones known specs.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

You already answered it yourself. To begin with, think about why any 1 of the 3 carriers would even pick up a virtual clone, the SGS II variants, which are all essentially the same phone. Answer that and consider the reasons Android fans & devs. are clamoring for widespread dispersal of the device. Add the fact that Android 4.0 ICS, is truly, the first Google OS build that has any potential to surpass Apples' iOS platform in the future. You've answered your question without even realizing it.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
You already answered it yourself. To begin with, think about why any 1 of the 3 carriers would even pick up a virtual clone, the SGS II variants, which are all essentially the same phone. Answer that and consider the reasons Android fans & devs. are clamoring for widespread dispersal of the device. Add the fact that Android 4.0 ICS, is truly, the first Google OS build that has any potential to surpass Apples' iOS platform in the future. You've answered your question without even realizing it.

The GS2 will eventually receive ICS. DEVs are hardly a fraction of the market. Comparing this phone roll out to the iPhone or GS2 on multiple carriers is nonsense.

I see a gradual roll out that's not marketed. Samsung wants people to buy the GS2. It will be up to Google to promote it. I don't see that happening. This will be the greatest phone never marketed.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
If they sold the sold the Nexus S even though they already had a Samsung Epic, then I think they would sell the Galaxy Nexus even though we already have an E4GT.

Stating the obvious ... the Epic 4G was a slider and the Nexus S wasn't. So, they target two different markets. The E4GT and Galaxy Nexus are very closely related in most every way.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Stating the obvious ... the Epic 4G was a slider and the Nexus S wasn't. So, they target two different markets. The E4GT and Galaxy Nexus are very closely related in most every way.

And my hope goes down the drain...
Just kidding, but why wouldn't they sell the Galaxy Nexus? If anything it can be like the Nexus S because eventually, all carriers got the Nexus S in one form or another. Besides that, this is the first Nexus where they are advertising aggressively (I don't think the Nexus S 4G counts as that is a different version of the Nexus S in terms of radios, the Galaxy Nexus IS the original phone where they will be making variants from).

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sorry AT&T, T-Mobile, & Sprint

while im not doubting you.. please post a source when you make comments like this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000