Considering Leaving Chrome OS....

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My desktop Windows computer has sat mostly idle for the last year as I used my Chrome OS devices. A few months ago I got an update for Windows 10 and recently started playing with it.

Windows 10 is much more Android/Google friendly that it was two years ago. Messages for Web seems to work with no problems and I have all of the Android apps I use regularly on my Windows computer with web-based icons on my taskbar.

The compatibility between my phone, a Huawei P30 Pro, and my Windows 10 computer is acceptable.

Now, why would I consider leaving Chromebook. I know it's hard to believe but while Chrome OS touts it's security I have to store all my documents and photos in the cloud with Google Drive. Some documents such as contracts, considered stock transfers, bid proposals, and some personal correspondence is confidential. I know keeping something private and excluding Google and the Federal Government from constant access is strange but that's where I am.

What are the chances Chrome and the Google Apps will allow documents and pictures to be saved directly to a thumb drive instead of to the cloud?

I'm, obviously, no geek and I suspect I already know the answer but is there any chance at all that Windows systems could run Android apps in the future? Since, I'm 78-years old, make that the near future.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can always save files locally to a Chromebook's own hard drive, or to an SD card (if supported) or USB flash drive. For very sensitive files, I think it's prudent to think twice before storing them in any cloud storage, not just Google Drive.

For me, it's still no contest. Virtually everything I need or want to do on a computer, I can do on my Chromebook, and it's done quickly and efficiently. I never have to deal with dreaded Windows updates, lumbering antivirus suites, or "system optimizers." There are times when I don't touch my Windows machine for weeks!:)

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Can you recommend a word processor that I can use on my Chromebook that will allow me to write without have the document sent to Google?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, BDiddy. I'm familiar with Google Docs and WPS. Both save files to the cloud. I want to be able to save correspondence with investment advisors, lawyers, and tax issues locally. I know my documents and everything else goes to Google Cloud and I have no idea who sees it from there.

I have an Acer Spin 13 and there's a lot to like there but I want to be responsible for security with some documents.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmax36884