Considering remvoing my screen protector

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
So I have tried numerous tempered glass screen protectors and ALL end up with debris along the edges that annoys the heck out of me. I am considering just going without a screen protector. Good or bad idea?
Ok, after much deliberation & a few weeks use with spigen neo flex screen guard on, I've taken it off! Just couldn't stand 1. Horrible orange peel that really did degrade viewing and 2. S-pen is soooo much nicer to work with. Phone is in the Samsung clearview case so I'm not worried about getting scratched. Having said that though, if Samsung release their own film protector I'll definitely get one having used same on note 7 and s7 edge.

monil

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered switching to a wallet style flip case? That's what I started using with the S7 Edge and really like them. No screen protector required and 360 coverage for minor drops. I've gotten one for every phone since (7 and counting lol). There are some decent ones on Amazon for about 10 bucks, but I'd recommend one with a magnetized clasp. No issues with Samsung Pay or SPen either (as long as you don't get one of the RFID protective ones).

Can you suggest a few you have used?

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
This year I bought a flip case that has a cover over the screen--but nothing directly applied to the screen itself. It protects the screen from everyday friction from sliding across tables, etc which should prevent light scratches.

However, it's a little risky since if I drop the phone I imagine it may land face down with the flip cover--well, flipped away from the screen. I've got insurance for drops so I'm taking a chance.

The screen is so gorgeous I don't want to cover it with a cheap protector that makes it look like plastic and the expensive protectors like Whitedome make no sense to me.

Last edited:

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I used the whitedome screen protector on my S8+ and I was disappointed in the end. The glue started to melt in the Texas sun and heat after a few weeks and I removed the protector. Nothing really feels as good as the phone without a protector. What I ended up using was the Qmadix liquid screen protector.

It is like $40 and they will give you $250 towards a screen replacement if your phone breaks. My glass broke on my s8+ and the claim process was very easy. Plus the phone still feels great.

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm a using a skinomi one from amazon for like $8. it's wet apply and not the best but I just can't go naked. a tempered glass protector has saved my iPhone 7+ twice but I haven't seen anything worth while for the note so a wet apply is my current solution

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
This is the first phone undecided to not get a screen protector on, and have had no issues thus far after a month or so. I just got back from Europe where a tour guide managed to drop my phone while taking a picture of my wife and I on a cobble stone street, face down and I was horrified, but got lucky no damage or scratches that I can see. I do have the Samsung alacantra case on it.
I don't see any scratches from use and like not having to deal with a protector....for now.

Awhispersecho

Trusted Member
Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
I just wany to chime in that this screen is very easy to scratch. I mean unacceptably easy. I had a tempered glass protector on that popped up a tiny bit due to the phone being in a case. It popped up just enough that you could hear clicks in the edges when you pressed down. I noticed a little dust and lint was getting under the glass so I took it off last night to replace it. Well there are 2 micro scratches where the dust was sitting just from being under the glass while using the phone. Not sand, grit or anything else solid. Literally dust or lint. And now a 1000 dollar phone has scratches on it's screen because of something no more abrasive than a micro fiber cloth. Be very careful if you're going naked.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I've run a high quality screen protector on all my phones... that had flat screens. After reading about the issues with yet another curved screen, I'm going without one on the Note 8, with a Spigen Thin case, in my usual leather belt holster. Sure, I'd like a simple one to apply and a long term holding ballistic glass protector, but after reading many of the reviews and comments, the jury is still out. Just have to be careful... for the most part. 😉

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I would go without a screen protector if the reflection wasn't that bad. I have become to used to using matte screen protectors not for the protection it's just when I take it off it annoys me to see reflections.

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I have had the Neo Flex screen protector on since the moment I opened the phone. It works just fine, and I have a spare in the box. I am happy with the product.

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I actually switched to this so nothing would get under glass protectors anymore. I'll tell you what, you get this thing on right and it is really nice. Check out some videos of it on YouTube too get an idea. I'm pretty impressed with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6034368

I am waiting to put in an Amazon.com order so I think I will try one of your suggested screen covers. Very reasonable price! It would be nice to have the glass feel.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
[2 PACK] Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Screen Protector (NOT GLASS), KTtwo Full Coverage HD Clear TPU Film Cover Curved Edge Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Anti-Bubble Film https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KC7V6...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6034703

This is one of the screen protectors I bought when I first ordered my phone. It has been on the phone from day one and I have not had a single issue. It is clear, gives adequate coverage and is case friendly. It Lmost looks like glass and the Spen responds great.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
So I have tried numerous tempered glass screen protectors and ALL end up with debris along the edges that annoys the heck out of me. I am considering just going without a screen protector. Good or bad idea?

Don't!!! Keep trying other brands.
White Stone Dome is getting great reviews.
My phone pulled a Superman the other day and the screen should be cracked. By the grace of God it's not a scratch on it.
Unless you just got the money to have it fixed.

Mandarita

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
I'm rocking an i-Blason tempered glass. I managed to crack it. I called them and they had a new one on the way in about 5 minutes. Not\ bubbles. No lifting. I haven't noticed any difference in sensitivity. I'll stick with it for now. I love the 1-year warranty and customer service. I was kinda scared to get a more inexpensive glass protector after hearing the problem folks have, but this is doing great and the price is right.

To note, it is not full adhesive, but this doesn't seem to be causing me any issues.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Can you suggest a few you have used?

I don't spend a lot on my cases because I don't keep my phones that long, but here are some that I've had good luck with:

Abacus 24x7 - Had 2 of these for various phones. On the Note and S8+ they give nice access to the edge screen. Nice clicky buttons as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6037623

Tauri - My current Note 8 case. Good overall protection but it's a little tricky getting the edge screen, but the lip is higher offering better protection. Buttons are just ok

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6037623

My 'High Class' cases are VRS Design Dandy series. I get them from the VRS eBay store for much less than Amazon. Nice looking and good protection. I've had several of these

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3D492211595288%26dispItem%3D1&token=blmhy2aj

Hope this helps!

imbound

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I use Cubevit Temper glass, it's beautifully fit, no debris + easy installation, but hinder the responsiveness of Touchscreen(like every screen protector for this phone I think). Seller offers to send a replacement for free which improve a bit.