Considering returning Galaxy S5 for the HTC One (M8)

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
That build quality, boom sound speakers, and clean Sense interface. I don't print pictures sense I just keep them on my phone.

I think the S5 is an improvement but I'm not really convinced that Samsung has future proofed it especially with the radios. I love the screen and the size of the S5.

I'm torn between the two. :-\

Last edited by a moderator:

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Considering returning GS5 for the M8

Do it....

TouchWiz was the main reason I did not consider the S5. Coming from the Nexus line the clean and non-obtrusive sense is nice.

Android Central App on my Nexus 7 (2013)

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

That build quality, boom sound speakers, and clean Sense interface. I don't print pictures sense I just keep them on my phone.

I think the S5 is an improvement but I'm not really convinced that Samsung has future proofed it especially with the radios. I love the screen and the size of the S5.

They're both 5" (5.1" on S5 to be exact)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

The S5 has a noticeably bigger screen because the they don't have the on screen buttons.

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I originally wanted the M8 but I chose the S5 instead. Now I'm reconsidering my choice. Only thing is I wish the Silver color was more readily available since I don't like the gunmetal color.

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

I originally wanted the M8 but I chose the S5 instead. Now I'm reconsidering my choice. Only thing is I wish the Silver color was more readily available since I don't like the gunmetal color.

Sell it and get an unlocked M8 if you can.

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

I have a S5 and a M8 in my house. I am usually a Samsung guy. But the M8 is a better phone imo. You can't beat the build and has handled EVERYTHING I throw out it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I tried to go along with the Samsung hype but just couldn't get into it. As you stated, Sense is so much smoother. Boomsound speakers are game-changing for me and the situations in which I can listen to music w/o headphones. And, the build quality is just a big bonus. Samsung makes decent stuff and their marketing has grown them a huge following. But, if I ignore what everyone else says and take an honest look at what I really like, the M8 walks home with it, all day.

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I'd do it. Samsung guy here. I've had the S2, S3, and S4. I played with both today and I'm going with M8 when my Sprint contract is up in June and I can switch to another carrier. The S5 is just meh to me. I'll still have my S4 on prepaid and the S5 is not much different.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
You won't be disappointed if you switch to the M8. I have had the Galaxy Note, Galaxy S3, and Galaxy S4. I fully expected to get the Galaxy S5 until I played with one. The M8 is in a whole other league.

The cheap plastic really turned me off and so did the laggy touchwiz. The HTC looks and feels great and the Sense UI is a breath of fresh air.

Posted via Android Central App

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Im in the same boat as you. I chose the S5 also on Friday and now am most likely getting it switched to the M8.

The S5 still has the usual Samsung outbreaks of lag and glitches. It'll hiccup while scrolling, take 5 seconds to open the phone app, randomly press the multi-tasking key 10 times when I'm just watching it do it. IDK. I do find Sense to be a bit more "basic" as in boring. But I think its worth the smoothness I grew accustomed to while using a Lumia 1020.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Played with my friends s5 this AM.... it was a sunny morning and the s5 is tough to see.. so hard you could not even send a text with out the right angle. my m8 on the most direct sunny day is usable. no angle needed.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

One thing I do not like about the m8 is the notification shade. It is downright boring, and doesnt have the detail of Samsung's like, the call/reply buttons when you get a text/call.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I had the Samsung Charge, Fascinate, S2, S3 and S4. When Verizon and Samsung locked up the S4 tight I had already rooted and loki'ed my phone so I was alright. I assumed that the S5 would issue with it locked down tight. That is exactly what happened. I wasn't sure that I would like an HTC phone since I hadn't used one in quite a few years. I had them all the way back to the Blue Angel days but switched when I wanted to give Android a try.

I thought It might be a tough switch going from Samsung to HTC but after having the M8 for just over a week now I'm glad that I switched and won't be going back any time soon. The M8 has some quirks and the camera is only a small issue for me (YMMV), but if you go over to XDA and look at the forums for the S5 and the M8 you're going to see a lot more activity in the M8 sections. The S5 development areas are empty, nothing going on. The M8 areas are seeing new roms and a decent amount of activity.

As for me, I like to unlock and root my phones but I don't custom rom them anymore (too many issues). I just take my stock unlocked and rooted phone and add small tweaks here and there to make it a little more personal, freeze apps I don't use, and to run nandroid backups to save off phone in case of catastrophe. It works really well for me.

All week I was using the m8 and thinking about the possibility of going back to an S5. No longer doing that, I realize that I'm really happy with this phone, the way it looks, the way it handles and the way it works.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Im over rooting/roming so that isnt an issue for me. The S5 still feels clunky though. Yes, less than the S4, but still clunky.

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Good to see some rational mature conversation on the subject. Both phones are great, they are both flagship phones with each having things that appeal to several people. If you have the ability to get both then by all means do that and in the 14 day return time hammer them both and see which one is better for YOU and not what anyone else says is better. How one person uses their phone will always be different then another person. The whole this phone is better than that phone is just nonsense. This is a M8 forum and most people here love their phone including myself so their will be a lot of bias here as it should be and the same will go in the S5 forum. Try the phones out use them as you would normally, don't go out of your way to try things with either phone that you wouldn't normally do because someone wrote a post or article saying this phone didn't do well in this situation or not. That situation may not ever occur for you. This is your money, your decision, don't let anyone influence you, only you know what is important to you as far as a smartphone. Good luck on your decision and feel free to come here for any tips on the M8.

Ice

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Good thing you brought up flagships. Apparently, Samsung is launching a more premium version in a few months time. Pretty much cannibalizing themselves. Not very smart

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Good thing you brought up flagships. Apparently, Samsung is launching a more premium version in a few months time. Pretty much cannibalizing themselves. Not very smart

Well those are the rumors anyway. It could be for a completely different market, not intended for US soil? Just my guess

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited: