Contact sync is off but it wants to sync

barnabasnagy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

New to android and I have the following issue.

1. I added a google account. Without asking it synced everything.
2. I turned off all sync except gmail.
3. But when I add a new contact it still warns me that it will sync it with my google account!
4. I tapped ok. Now by default the google account is on the top of the screen where I add contacts - obviously it syncs it.

Also, when I now go to settings > account > google account I can't seem to turn on/off settings. Eg if I touch an item that is turned on it starts to sync it instead of switching it on.

Very annoying.

Obviously I could remove the google account altogether but I would prefer to keep it just for gmail sync.

Anyone could help me how to do this?

Thanks.

barnabasnagy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
How about removing your google account and then putting it back on again?

I just did that and now most of the features are set to sync by default. If I touch the feature it starts to sync. Don't know how to turn them off.

I also touched contacts under google account to see how I can toggle turn on/off and it started syncing. I cancelled sync and now all my contacts are gone!

Such an illogical system.

but iOS is even worse...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless I'm losing my mind (which isn't impossible), there used to be check boxes next to those items, so you could turn them on or off. This must be part of the new update (and not a part I'm thrilled with, since I had many of the items turned off).

barnabasnagy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Unless I'm losing my mind (which isn't impossible), there used to be check boxes next to those items, so you could turn them on or off. This must be part of the new update (and not a part I'm thrilled with, since I had many of the items turned off).

First there were checkboxes. Now there are no checkboxes.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think we need two checkboxes on the Google building:

Make improvements to Android
Make stupid changes to Android that no one wants.

Let's see how many people check the second one. They seem to be operating under the impression that everyone is, and almost no one is checking the first one.

barnabasnagy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I think we need two checkboxes on the Google building:

Make improvements to Android
Make stupid changes to Android that no one wants.

Let's see how many people check the second one. They seem to be operating under the impression that everyone is, and almost no one is checking the first one.

You nailed it.