Cool new apps for S7?

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Finally upgraded from my old S4 and got a new S7. Loving it so far. But one of the fun things with a new phone is getting new apps. One of my favorites, that I couldn't use on S4, is PushBullet - very cool way to text etc and manage phone notifications through your desktop.

What are some good apps that you recommend (free, btw!) that work really well on the latest Android version of the S7? I'm not in to games (other than word games). A texting app would be nice - I need one that is customizable, has a delayed send option, and allows for private messages (going through a nasty divorce and don't want to accidentally text my ex or for my kids to see some of the texts that are related to all this).

I'm also using Drupe Dialer - very cool, customizable dialer. But open to alternatives for that as well. Also using Nova launcher.

Text messaging apps, utility apps, information apps, voice control apps, etc - what do you all like?

H2oflyer

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
What's wrong with throwing the developer a few bucks....sometimes for ad free. I'm amazed at the number of android users that will sit at a Starbucks sipping on an overpriced coffee while looking for free apps!

You want everyone else to do your good app search for you.....put down the coffee and check out PlayStore

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
What's wrong with throwing the developer a few bucks....sometimes for ad free. I'm amazed at the number of android users that will sit at a Starbucks sipping on an overpriced coffee while looking for free apps!

You want everyone else to do your good app search for you.....put down the coffee and check out PlayStore

I've paid for several, thanks - some required, some as a donation. Also, I have done a lot of looking on the App Store, and here on AC, but apps are subjective. Just curious what others like. I don't drink coffee, don't go to Starbucks, and don't expect other people to do my work for me. Just thought some might like to share what they like.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I've paid for several, thanks - some required, some as a donation. Also, I have done a lot of looking on the App Store, and here on AC, but apps are subjective. Just curious what others like. I don't drink coffee, don't go to Starbucks, and don't expect other people to do my work for me. Just thought some might like to share what they like.
I avoid free apps as much as possible, they are full of ads and spoil the experience

here are my apps:

Shazam [for identifying songs to give you the artist name / song name)
Whatsapp
Google Duo
Google Maps
Waze (to get notified about road radars)
Instagram
Retouch (great photo editor that allows you to remove stuff from a photo that you don't want just like in Photoshop)
ES File Explorer Pro (the best file manager for Android hands down)
VPN.AC (the best VPN in the world, with 1 subscription, you can connect up to 8 devices for both your PC and mobile device)
Fenix (the best Twitter alternative with no ads)
gReader Pro (the best paid RSS Feeds Reader)
Metal Pro (allows you to login to Facebook/Instagram and you can use the FB messenger without installing it. As you know, Facebook and its Messenger are the biggest battery hogs for a mobile device)
Easy Protein (free app that allows you to calculate your calories and how much protein you've consumed in a day, no ads)
Scanbot (very good app for document scanning)
XE Currency Pro (the best currency converter)

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I avoid free apps as much as possible, they are full of ads and spoil the experience

here are my apps:

Shazam [for identifying songs to give you the artist name / song name)
Whatsapp
Google Duo
Google Maps
Waze (to get notified about road radars)
Instagram
Retouch (great photo editor that allows you to remove stuff from a photo that you don't want just like in Photoshop)
ES File Explorer Pro (the best file manager for Android hands down)
VPN.AC (the best VPN in the world, with 1 subscription, you can connect up to 8 devices for both your PC and mobile device)
Fenix (the best Twitter alternative with no ads)
gReader Pro (the best paid RSS Feeds Reader)
Metal Pro (allows you to login to Facebook/Instagram and you can use the FB messenger without installing it. As you know, Facebook and its Messenger are the biggest battery hogs for a mobile device)
Easy Protein (free app that allows you to calculate your calories and how much protein you've consumed in a day, no ads)
Scanbot (very good app for document scanning)
XE Currency Pro (the best currency converter)

Thanks, Snappy. I've read some comparisons of Waze and Google Nav. What's your take? I tried Waze a few years ago, when it was still pretty new, and found the UI very cluttered when driving. Google Nav is what I've been using - it's clean, very easy to use, but not really reliable on estimating the best route to take from A to B in town. It does seem to do a good job on the interstate, though.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Snappy. I've read some comparisons of Waze and Google Nav. What's your take? I tried Waze a few years ago, when it was still pretty new, and found the UI very cluttered when driving. Google Nav is what I've been using - it's clean, very easy to use, but not really reliable on estimating the best route to take from A to B in town. It does seem to do a good job on the interstate, though.

for regular commuting, I prefer Google Maps as it's always updated and takes real life traffic info into consideration to offer you better routes

for when I want to go for spirited driving, I use waze to alert me about radars and road traps

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Waze. Takes real life traffic into consider to offer you better routes. I've tried both and never really liked how Google maps tells me to turn 100m before the turn, and doesn't repeat when I'm at the turn. This is trouble some in several places for me so I stick with Waze.

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
A few of my favorite apps- Pocket Cast for podcast. It cost $3.99, but worth it. jetAudio Player for music, it will play mp4 songs without needing them to be converted by another app. MyRadar for weather radar. Textra for texting. Tapatalk for forums. SwiftKey for my keyboard, love it. Nova for my launcher. And Bluemail for email. Those are my everyday favorites, of course I have a bunch of other apps, but these I use everyday. I pay for them to get ad free.

Mark

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
BlackBerry HUB+ Suite... It's an integrated hub of all communications, calendar, contacts, password keeper, notes, tasks, etc. I really wish they included keyboard but they didn't. Still, great app suite.

Waze. Already mentioned serveral times above... I also prefer it over Google Maps because of the real time police, trap, hazard and lane closure report. Like Google Maps, it is also automatically linked with your calendar events, reminding you the time to leave based on the traffic info. Now it also have the speed limits and alerts when you go over limits... including school and playground zones. It's being actively developed, many features are only added in the past 6 months.

Tasker. If you likes automation and programming, this little app can add lots of automated features to your phone that is not available elsewhere. For example, my phone automatically opens Waze and Audible when it connects with my car's blue tooth, starts reading my book if it's weekdays.... and close these apps when it disconnects... Still playing around with this, so much potential.

Phil7997

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
CsipSimple - VOIP

Feedly - Rss news feed aggregator

TwitCast - Watching TWIT shows on Chromecast

BBC iPlayer Radio - Live BBC stations, plus podcasts

Tunein Pro - Online radio

Most of the other apps I've got have been mentioned.

GraCal

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
BlackBerry HUB+ Suite... It's an integrated hub of all communications, calendar, contacts, password keeper, notes, tasks, etc. I really wish they included keyboard but they didn't. Still, great app suite.

Waze. Already mentioned serveral times above... I also prefer it over Google Maps because of the real time police, trap, hazard and lane closure report. Like Google Maps, it is also automatically linked with your calendar events, reminding you the time to leave based on the traffic info. Now it also have the speed limits and alerts when you go over limits... including school and playground zones. It's being actively developed, many features are only added in the past 6 months.

Tasker. If you likes automation and programming, this little app can add lots of automated features to your phone that is not available elsewhere. For example, my phone automatically opens Waze and Audible when it connects with my car's blue tooth, starts reading my book if it's weekdays.... and close these apps when it disconnects... Still playing around with this, so much potential.

YouTube how to install the BlackBerry keyboard. I have it on my S7 and really like it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01