Copying a large number of files from laptop to Pixel's internal memory

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I messed up restoring the backup for my WhatsApp and now I have to manually copy all the image files from my old phone to my new phone. The total number of files that I need to copy is over 6,000 and it's in one folder. After around 2,500 files the phone's folder window just disappears and the copy window also disappears. Is there a limit to the number of files that can be transferred via USB to the internal memory of the phone? The time to copy all the 6,500 files starts at 1 hour and 30 minutes and goes up to 5 and a half hours as more files are copied.
Is there an easier way to copy these files?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

I've not experienced this copying files to a device but I've also never attempted to move a volume this large. I have experienced this transferring files to and from PCs and/or external drives. Not sure what exactly is happening or why but I've found it be more manageable transferring in batches. Since you say you're able to transfer around 2500 before things start to fall apart. I would recommend doing 3 batches of 2k. Will it take longer, well yes and no... Yes in that you can't just set it and forget it and just walk away and wait. No in that the smaller packets will likely transfer faster but you'll have to do it 3x and kind of watch it to be sure that the transfer doesn't glitch and select each batch to start. There probably isn't an easier or faster way if dragging and dropping a folder isn't working for you.

If you would like to reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave replies, please create an account. This link will help you do that.. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with VidJunky -- transferring huge amounts of data all at once via USB has always been somewhat risky due to the possibility of data errors.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non