Corruption of audio files during transfer from PC to micro sd card in J5 Prime phone

LobsterSoda

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Hello everybody, here is a description of the problem, along with the methods of fixing it that i attempted so far:

>Problem:

Audio files being corrupted during transfer from PC to micro sd card, mounted in a Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime (sm-g570m, Android 7 Nougat), transfer being done using a USB cable. When played, the audio files will randomly skip, cut and even other bits of other audio files will be introduced in the audio file (note: these "new bits" come from other audio files that aren't even on the sd card memory).

>Methods attempted (all with no success):

- Using other USB cables for transfer;
- Using a new micro sd card instead of the old one;
- Formating the above mentioned cards;
- Transfering files in smaller blocks;
- Using different audio players;
- Clearing the phone's cache;
- Restoring phone to factory settings;
- Transfering the files to the phone's internal memory, then moving the files from the internal memory to the micro sd card using the phone's interface;

I have also showed the problem to a technician i know and even him is stumped, though he took the micro sd card, placed it in an adaptor and transfered an album from his computer to the micro sd card, this album seems to be intact.

What i'll be doing next:

I'll be getting a similar adaptor tomorrow so i can do a chkdsk (this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html) and see what i can find.

Meanwhile, i though i should post this issue here and see if anyone has seen this before.

Thank you for your time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the S7 edge forum to the J Series forum, for more specific traffic.

What music format are the files? Did you rip them from CDs, download them from the web, or get them some other way?

As an experiment, try uploading one of those music tracks to a cloud storage like Google Drive, then download the file from Drive to the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
- Transfering files in smaller blocks;

I have also showed the problem to a technician i know and even him is stumped, though he took the micro sd card, placed it in an adaptor and transfered an album from his computer to the micro sd card, this album seems to be intact.
He had the answer and didn't spot it?

I don't know what size blocks you're transferring ("smaller could mean from 10GB blocks to 5GB blocks), but USB can't handle large blocks. Transfer the files a few at a time - no more than 25MB at a time to start. Different USB chips overheat from different amounts of data transfer, but all of them should be able to handle 25MB at once. (And if you're going to tell us that you have 85GB to transfer, and you can't do it that slowly, use the adapter to transfer the files directly - that may be able to handle a little more data at a time.) But it's a known problem, it's been asked here many times, and the answer is the same - USB just can't handle massive data transfer. That's why eSATA was invented, and why we're now on USB 3.1 - but even 3.1 can't handle GBs at a time.)

Edit: As B. Diddy said, going through Google Drive may help.

Walter Castro

Mar 3, 2019
Visit site
I don't know if it's a late response but I've been having the same problem. My memory card is a kingston micro sd 64gb. We bought it the same day with a friend and he's also having the same problem. Of course our phones are Samsung j5 prime, I don't know if it's a phone related problem or if it has to do with the sd card. I've tried the basic things like reformatting, using an adapter instead of usb cable, but nothing has worked. I'm stuck with this problem and this is the first time that I have such problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays