date set on gingerbread release for the lg optimus line!!

Gutterball

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
This was taken from softpedia.

LG Optimus One Gingerbread Update Coming in May

March 17th, 2011, 17:30 GMT| By Cosmin Vasile

LG Optimus One

After making a worldwide tour of major carriers, LG Optimus One is about to receive its highly-anticipated Android 2.3 Gingerbread software upgrade. The entry-level handset has become one of the most popular Android devices launched by LG, with more than 2 million Optimus One smartphones sold worldwide, and the number is still increasing.

The upcoming upgrade has been unveiled via LG Facebook official account, as the company vaguely stated that the update will be available in May, but no specific release date has been mentioned.

“The upgrade of LG Optimus One to Android 2.3 is expected by May end & will be available in the Android Market.”

It seems strange that the LG person said that the update would be available through Android Market, which is not possible, rather than through LG's own update tool.

Initially, the Korean manufacturer stated that the Optimus One would not receive the Gingerbread goodness because it didn't meet the minimum hardware requirements.

However, the company came back with an official announcement where it said that all Optimus series smartphones would get Android 2.3 upgrade, although no timeframe has been disclosed.

“LG will upgrade all Optimus One smartphones currently using the Froyo OS to the next version of the Android OS, Gingerbread. Details of the upgrade schedule will be announced locally in due course. We sincerely apologize for the confusion and misunderstanding that was caused regarding this issue.”

The Optimus One is powered by a 600 MHz processor and features a 3.2-inch HVGA capacitive touchscreen with 262k colors support and 320 x 480 pixel resolution.

Even though it's a low-budget smartphone, the Optimus One is an all-rounder as it features HSDPA 7.2 Mbps, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, GPS with A-GPS support, microUSB 2.0, as well as Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP support.

Furthermore, the Optimus one sports an average 3.2-megapixel camera with autofocus and video recording capabilities. The phone packs only 170 MB of internal memory, but it embeds a microSD card slot for memory expansion (up to 32GB, 2GB card included).

Stay tuned for more updates on the subject, as the company reveals further details.

My thoughts:
All I gotta say is wtf "get the update from the android market?!" Lets just hope this is real and there not just blowing smoke up our ass!

Gutterball

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it says the entire optimus line. "However, the company came back with an official announcement where it said that all Optimus series smartphones would get Android 2.3 upgrade,"

Gutterball

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
If you ask me they kinda sound like they have no idea what they are talking about but I seriously hope this is real. How could a representative be so dense as to say that it will be available through the android market though!? Huh?

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
If you ask me they kinda sound like they have no idea what they are talking about but I seriously hope this is real. How could a representative be so dense as to say that it will be available through the android market though!? Huh?

I totally agree. That comment about the Android Market made it seem entirely shady to me...

gvc

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If the market update option is actually true (and I doubt it) then I would think the only areas that would get update to gingerbread are those that may apply to all operator versions of the device across the board, like the gingerbread keyboard, stock browser or whatever can be applied to any company's version without screwing up anything else.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
What does 2.3 have that you lack in 2.2.1? I've never understood the need to update when nothing is broken expect for security updates. You can already make 2.2.1 look like 2.3. Is there something I'm missing?

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
The statement made in the title of this tread is not true. People should stop being sensationalistic and twisting facts to get bigger reactions.

It is true that LG said they will bring Gingerbread to the Optimus line.

In the article provided in this thread, LG said they plan to bring Gingerbread to the Optimus One in May.

At no point has LG stated when they will bring Gingerbread to the rest of the Optimus line.

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
What does 2.3 have that you lack in 2.2.1? I've never understood the need to update when nothing is broken expect for security updates. You can already make 2.2.1 look like 2.3. Is there something I'm missing?

Gingerbread has a built in theme changer, no need to de-odex framework anymore. It also doubles in performance of 2.2. It's much faster, and I could never go back.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread has a built in theme changer, no need to de-odex framework anymore. It also doubles in performance of 2.2. It's much faster, and I could never go back.

Comparing Romdimus to aospCMod, I don't see the speed increase. I know the benchmark scores are higher but that doesn't mean anything in terms of real world performance. You can easily confirm this with a side by side test to a Droid X which supposedly has a similar Quadrant score as aospCMod but is actually much faster. Maybe the official Gingerbread will be different, but all I've seen is reduced battery life and a pretty interface in 2.3.

I did play around with the native Voip controls, but they were fairly glitchy. I'll chalk that up to aospCMod and not Gingerbread.

dEris

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
No where in that article states Gingerbread will be released the the Optimus V. It's talking about the Optimus One, not every Optimus lineup.........

mazn

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
No where in that article states Gingerbread will be released the the Optimus V. It's talking about the Optimus One, not every Optimus lineup.........

The LG Optimus One is the general name for the Optimus T(T-mobile), Optimus S(Sprint), Optimus V(Virgin Mobile) and a few others. Each device has a slightly different look on the outside for each carrier but the insides should be the same I believe.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If you read entire article you will see they do say 2.3 will be released for all Optimus phones, they just won't say when.

However, the company came back with an official announcement where it said that all Optimus series smartphones would get Android 2.3 upgrade, although no timeframe has been disclosed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci