Dead Droid: pt 2

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
A couple weeks ago my phone froze up (i'd post a link, but i can't yet so search for my 1st post if you want to see that) I took it to Verizon and they reset it to factory defaults. No big deal. last week same thing, this time i was 700 miles from home and had they had to replace my phone. Started out with the "we'll ship you a phone" stuff, but they eventually understood that replacing my phone that day was the right call :cool:

Anyways, here's what i know from both events.
- this has only happened since the 2.1 OTA update
- both times i had been using the phone a lot and let the batter totally drain down and the phone shut itself off.
- As soon as i plugged it into the charger, everything seemed fine, but when i went to use the Navigation it wouldn't work.
- both times i restarted the phone and it got stuck on the Droid Eye thing at start up.
- when i was on 2.0.1 i let the battery drain a few times w/o any trouble, but the only 2 times that happened since 2.1 i had trouble.

The guy at the Verizon store told me that i should only use the car charger for 30-min at a time and that i shouldn't make calls while it's charging because it puts the phone under to much stress. I call BS on that, but correct me if i'm wrong. My theory is that there is either a glitch with 2.1 or i've got something set wrong so that the phone doesn't start to shut down in time if the batter is almost dead.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I've had mine cut off on me a couple times. Believe it's set to turn off once it gets below 5% and then won't come back on until it gets back above that. Hooked it to the computer and it came back on after a while but it cut back off after I used it a little. I'm guessing usb cable wasn't supplying enough power to charge the phone and allow me to play around on it. It also seems that the car charger doesn't provide enough power to charge the phone and run navigation over an extended period of time. There's a thread over on the android forum at the verizon site with a bunch of people having the same problem.

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
is there a way to change the setting for when it shuts down automatically?

I believe letting the charge on a lithium ion battery get too low can damage the battery, that's why there is a certain point the phone will power down as to not damage the battery. I don't think there is a way to change that.

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
i wanted to make it shut down around 10% to be safer. I'm doing that on my own now but it would be nice to have the phone automatically do that.

beckx020

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
On my Droid with 2.1, I drove about 1500 miles with it plugged into the car charger and the gps running over 5 days. I didn't let the battery go way down except the first time it warned me the battery was low. So, 8-10 hours a day for those days it was on the dash. (yes, I stop a lot when I travel)

If there is a problem, I'm glad I don't have it with my phone.

Over that trip I found many problems with maps and routes and voice, but not that the charger couldn't charge.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
On my Droid with 2.1, I drove about 1500 miles with it plugged into the car charger and the gps running over 5 days. I didn't let the battery go way down except the first time it warned me the battery was low. So, 8-10 hours a day for those days it was on the dash. (yes, I stop a lot when I travel)

If there is a problem, I'm glad I don't have it with my phone.

Over that trip I found many problems with maps and routes and voice, but not that the charger couldn't charge.

I keep my Droid plugged in all day and night when I'm near a power source. This includes a car charger on my trips to and from work.

In the car I keep GPS on (Google Maps), and play MP3's.

I've never had a problem with it not charging.