ARCHIVED: [DEAD ROM] ThundeROM V1.8.3 4/5/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This release looks promising guys. It's you guys at the forefront that keep this movement alive. Much gratitude.

Now, on to the actual question: Does the OC kernel show noticeable improvement in speed or should the JIT be sufficient? Just wondering how this ROM interacts with it more or less.... Thanks in advance. And, again, great job guys!

What i would do if i were you is flash this ROM and use it a couple of days ... get a good feel for it. Then after a couple of days, flash the OC kernel over top. Use that for a couple of days and see how that feels for you. Keep in mind that as always with OC'ing you're going to see a decline in battery life. Also you may notice a bit more heat so you'll DEFINITELY want to use setCPU to setup profiles to make sure you don't melt your CPU.

There are pluses and minuses to OC'ing so anything I'm pointing out is not at all directed negatively towards the OC kernel, these are general statements that apply to each and every single OC kernel.

EDIT - Forgot to mention, if you flash the OC kernel and decide it's not for you and want the stock kernel back just go into recovery, wipe ONLY dalvik and cache (not factory) and flash the ROM back over top of itsself. This will save all your apps and settings but push the stock kernel back for you.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
What i would do if i were you is flash this ROM and use it a couple of days ... get a good feel for it. Then after a couple of days, flash the OC kernel over top. Use that for a couple of days and see how that feels for you. ....you.

I feel I've learned a lot from this site today. I probably won't try OC kernel for now. The custom ROM seems to be sufficient for now. I do have one question about the ROM. A "program"/app named something similar to personalmobiledata (the best I remember it from memory) is asking for access to my gmail account. I don't know what this app is and don't remember seeing it on the original/default ROM. Any clarification to this?

Please keep going with this. I will be sure to report back with any issues, glitches, etc... I guess my first first contribution to this release is the above statement about the personalmobiledata. lmao! Insignificant I'm sure. :cool:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
A "program"/app named something similar to personalmobiledata (the best I remember it from memory) is asking for access to my gmail account. I don't know what this app is and don't remember seeing it on the original/default ROM. Any clarification to this?

Thats to be expected, it's the gmail application asking for permission to use you're information to retrieve your mail and contacts and stuff. The reason it does this on our ROM and not the stock is i made some pretty significant edits inside the apk so it required a new signature (a test signature, not googles signature). Nothing to worry about :)

Cheers!

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
mvdalvik was clever thinking. i managed to get it to work on my personal stock-hybrid-custom rom thing (its practically a custom rom now but its not for public so i don't call it a rom)

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just put this on my relatives Optimus, he is really enjoying it.

Just saying thanks from him, couldnt get him to join AC :/
He especially enjoyed the sense-like status bar and other sense-like touches in there.

And i must say that little phone isnt half bad now, great work.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the work. if sprint has another OTA update, what should we do? thanks!

Don't accept it.If it does download don't choose to install.Do the following.
Two options
1)If adb is set up on your pc then open command propmt and type adb logcat
-in the big print out it does look for a web address with (OTA and .zip) in it.

2)Download aLogcat from market open it after install just to make sure it's logging.
-Let it run in the background for a little while once you get the notice for the OTA open aLogcat again pause and look for the http with (OTA .zip)

Then please post the link or PM me the link.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
beezy, I've noticed a Facebook issue. It always drops back to "don't sync" for contacts when I want it to sync existing contacts. Any ideas? Is it something with cachemate?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
beezy, I've noticed a Facebook issue. It always drops back to "don't sync" for contacts when I want it to sync existing contacts. Any ideas? Is it something with cachemate?

I would think it's the app itself or something like cache. I haven't signed into facebook in a long time ill sign into all social networks today to see how things go.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, for now I'll just deal with it then.

I just went and downloaded the official app for twitter and facebook. Facebook synced all my contacts without issue. I would say maybe cachemate or facebook app being goofy.I would go in and remove facebook data and then sync again if that doesn't do it try uninstalling the app and installing again.I don't use cachemate but i think ksmith does and if i remember right he syncs his contacts with his facebook account.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I just went and downloaded the official app for twitter and facebook. Facebook synced all my contacts without issue. I would say maybe cachemate or facebook app being goofy.I would go in and remove facebook data and then sync again if that doesn't do it try uninstalling the app and installing again.I don't use cachemate but i think ksmith does and if i remember right he syncs his contacts with his facebook account.

I use both (cachemate/facebook) and no issues here. All contacts are synced, have been synced, and no problems :)

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

I would think it's the app itself or something like cache. I haven't signed into facebook in a long time ill sign into all social networks today to see how things go.

I will try the facebook app as well to try and help with any issues...

I did have an issue with something last night. I can't necessarily blame the ROM yet but I am reporting this issue. I am doing this from memory and after a good night's sleep lol. But I'm pretty sure this is how it happened:
Hit 'Voice Search' icon.
Voice Search opens and displays intro screen.
Gave the command to text someone in my phonebook (had to give it a couple tries mainly because the persons nickname is not common) but it managed to bring up a blank (what appeared to be 'Messaging') prompt. The reason I say "appears to be" is because the 'Voice Search' program seems to have it's own separate messaging function independent of the 'Messaging' program itself. At first I didn't know the difference, but after my experience I am almost certain they are two different apps/programs that do the same thing... At least in regards to voice-to-text (if that makes any sense... lol)
I pushed the microphone to speak the person's name. Success.
I again pushed the microphone to speak the short message and hit send. Success. Program displays "Sending" message overlayed on top of previously blank message prompt.

---Here's where it gets weird... The next 2 or 3 events happened almost simultaneously and it would be hard for me to put in chronological order, but the best I remember it happening is:
1. The messaging program that was opened by 'Voice Search' continued to run displaying a message stating "Sending" with the looping effect directing me to wait.
2. While waiting for the message to go away, I received a text message from the person.
3. I hit the home key to try and exit from the 'Voice Search' prompted 'Messaging' screen that continued to loop the "Sending" message.
After minutes of this message continuing to display and not allowing me to use the feature anymore, I promptly went to the 'Applications' menu and force stopped the program 'Voice Search'.

Bottom line: I have not re-verified this issue since last night and have never tried the same sequence on the standard stock ROM. I'm sure this is not a big deal as I was able to use the voice to text feature in the actual 'Messaging' app the whole time.

EDIT: Just attempted sending the same person a text with the 'Voice Search' program. No problems. Flawless. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the intro screen that pops up during the first use of this program....? Haven't had any issues since. Will report back if anything changes! Keep up the good work everyone!

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
EDIT: Just attempted sending the same person a text with the 'Voice Search' program. No problems. Flawless. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the intro screen that pops up during the first use of this program....? Haven't had any issues since. Will report back if anything changes! Keep up the good work everyone!

Yeah this would have nothing to do with the ROM. Maybe quirk with voice commands, maybe an quirk with android, maybe an issue with (insert) but we did nothing that would impact that. In fact, the voice search functionality is not even optimized (which only changes images, not functionality), it's only zipaligned which allows it to launch/run faster.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I use both (cachemate/facebook) and no issues here. All contacts are synced, have been synced, and no problems :)

O Rly? I had the understanding that I couldn't use any memory management app with this ROM. In my mind that meant cachemate too. But, if you're using it, I might download that one again... I suggest an update to the first post for those of us who are less likely to understand such a straightforward statement. I was like :eek: when it said "DO NOT". Now I'm like :) after seeing this

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Does this keep or lose the new Sype keyboard?

yes, this uses the swype keyboard. This is a very unique situation where ...

1) Every person who bought an Optimus is technically licensed to use Swype as that was part of the cost of service.
2) The way this specific instance of swype is licensed, it will only ever run on this specific model. People can try all they want but unless you have an LG optimus S ... this won't work for you.

With the above said, we are not distributing Swype to anyone who doesn't own a license and we are not providing a means for people to hack it to get it to work so therefor we are not distributing hacked software or warez.

:D

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
O Rly? I had the understanding that I couldn't use any memory management app with this ROM. In my mind that meant cachemate too. But, if you're using it, I might download that one again... I suggest an update to the first post for those of us who are less likely to understand such a straightforward statement. I was like :eek: when it said "DO NOT". Now I'm like :) after seeing this

memory management and cache management are 2 different things. Memory managers alter the minfree settings for minimum RAM necessary prior to killing shells. Cache is exactly what you'd think, like when you dump cache from your PC browser.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
memory management and cache management are 2 different things. Memory managers alter the minfree settings for minimum RAM necessary prior to killing shells. Cache is exactly what you'd think, like when you dump cache from your PC browser.

I'm a dumbass. :cool: lol. Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.