Dealing with unfamiliar/difficult Samsung interface, what are my options?

johnbb99

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
I've just replaced [yes, in September 2021] my Moto G4 with a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S7 [SM-G930F]. Nice phone [I think] but I'm finding the interface difficult to use, and very different to the Moto, which I /think/ was mainly vanilla android.
Can I remove the 'Samsung Experience' [I'm assuming this is the cause of my problems], and take it back to vanilla 'Android?
Thanks
PS I really liked - from the very outset - the Moto's rotate-to-open-the-camera, and the Karate-chop action to switch on the torch. REALLY useful!
Thanks
John

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
You can't remove the Samsung Experience but you can install a third party launcher to simulate stock android. I like Ruthless launcher which looks and acts a lot like the Pixel launcher found on stock android Pixel phones. It is free and without ads.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with installing a 3rd party launcher. Other excellent choices include Nova Launcher (which just updated to version 7, chock full of new features) and Lawnchair 2 launcher.
@Kizzy Catwoman, did you mean Rootless Launcher?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah ok -- just wanted to make sure that wasn't a mis-transcription from dictation!:) Rootless Launcher is another one that mimics the Pixel launcher.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've just replaced [yes, in September 2021] my Moto G4 with a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S7 [SM-G930F]. Nice phone [I think] but I'm finding the interface difficult to use, and very different to the Moto, which I /think/ was mainly vanilla android.
Can I remove the 'Samsung Experience' [I'm assuming this is the cause of my problems], and take it back to vanilla 'Android?
Thanks
PS I really liked - from the very outset - the Moto's rotate-to-open-the-camera, and the Karate-chop action to switch on the torch. REALLY useful!
Thanks
John
Hi welcome to AC!
Using a 3rd party launcher like Nova can get it close to stock Android

johnbb99

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I've never been spoken to by so many (well - any) Ambassadors before! ;)
This S7 is on Android 8:-
A Does that restrict me in what 3rd party launcher I can load?
B Can I, and is there any point in updating the Android version?
C Are these processes straightforward and hassle-free? (As you can tell, I've done nothing like this before.)
D Do the 3rd party launchers offer options like those I had on the Moto (wrist action like spinning a tennis racquet to open the camera, and Karate chops for the torch)
Thanks again

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There's no restriction to 3rd party launchers -- they should all work with Android 8 without difficulty. They're pretty straightforward to use, but they usually have many more features than the stock launcher, so it can take a little while to get familiar with all of the features. I don't think launchers themselves can utilize physical gestures like the karate chop, but they often have more elaborate screen gestures that you can customize.

You're already on the highest Android version officially available for that phone: www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/update-android-os-version/

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
@johnbb99, I fleshed out your title some to reflect what your question is about. There are certainly big differences between Samsung's interface and Motorola's, my son has a G7 Power, and I find it a little baffling, myself. His has the twist/chop features, too. I almost went to Moto, but life delivered a bonus that allowed me to stay in Samsung's area for the time being.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I had Moto devices in the past, but I used Nova on them. I use Nova on my Samsung devices too, so there isn't much difference between them and anything else I've used in the Android world.