Dear Samsung/AT&T...KIES SUCKS! Come to think of it Windows does too.

Suprtrukr425

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
So after having this phone a week, I have finally found something to gripe about...Kies and Windows. I have loved every single thing about this phone up untill now. First off to AT&T, thanks so much for defeating one of my main purposes of having a smart phone, to not need to use a computer. I just love it that you decided to make updating my phone such a headache for me, It would have just been so terrible to get an OTA for a phone that has barely been out 6 months. Secondly to Samsung, why on earth did you decide to ignore Linux users??? You have software for Windows and Mac but just left us Linux users out in the cold. That in itself is a good reason to hate Kies, because I already hate Windows. I didn't even have it on my computer, so guess how much footwork it has cost me to get a stupid update. I would have just rooted to avoid all this, but guess what...you need Windows unless you are brave enough to try Heimdall. Thanks fo the headache, and thanks to everyone who listened to my rant.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So after having this phone a week, I have finally found something to gripe about...Kies and Windows. I have loved every single thing about this phone up untill now. First off to AT&T, thanks so much for defeating one of my main purposes of having a smart phone, to not need to use a computer. I just love it that you decided to make updating my phone such a headache for me, It would have just been so terrible to get an OTA for a phone that has barely been out 6 months. Secondly to Samsung, why on earth did you decide to ignore Linux users??? You have software for Windows and Mac but just left us Linux users out in the cold. That in itself is a good reason to hate Kies, because I already hate Windows. I didn't even have it on my computer, so guess how much footwork it has cost me to get a stupid update. I would have just rooted to avoid all this, but guess what...you need Windows unless you are brave enough to try Heimdall. Thanks fo the headache, and thanks to everyone who listened to my rant.

Honestly(and I do mean it) do you think it would be worth the man hours it would take Samsung to develop Kies for Linux? A lot of time would go into this considering Linux has a very small user base. Honestly I can't see Kies for linux being worthwhile for Samsung to develop IMO.

GlennTX

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
As much as Kies sucks on windows, can you imagine how much worse it would be if someone developed it for Linux?

Your probably better off as it is.

Just my 2 cents :)

k6rim

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Good grief - Samsung is unable to get Kies to reliably work on Windows. Before getting to Linux, which is hardly a mainstream OS, Samsung needs to fix Kies for Windows.

Kies is BY FAR the absolute worst software I have EVER encountered. Kies will not update the OS on my Galaxy S3. This is the same experience that most have reported. Some have reported that not only would Kies not update their OS, but also that it BRICKED their Galaxy phone! I have wasted many hours trying to get Kies to work. Kies is true crapware! Avoid it like the plague!

At this point, I will stay with ICS and pass on JB before risking bricking my S3 with Kies.

And why is it that ATT is not making JB available OTA?

<end of rant>

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Please see this thread to have AT&T update your phone to JB for you.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/237993-jelly-bean-wont-update-issues-after-update.html

Captian4Phones

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Honestly(and I do mean it) do you think it would be worth the man hours it would take Samsung to develop Kies for Linux? A lot of time would go into this considering Linux has a very small user base. Honestly I can't see Kies for linux being worthwhile for Samsung to develop IMO.

Ubuntu is by far easier to use than Windows and Mac. The fact that more people would rather use 2 mainstream and broken OS's disgusts me.

Sure. If you're a total idiot then you can end up in trouble with it. But that same idiot probably screwed windows up way worse to begin with.

And besides, if Samsung would ask canonical, I'm sure they would develope the software the same way they do Ubuntu, FREE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ubuntu is by far easier to use than Windows and Mac. The fact that more people would rather use 2 mainstream and broken OS's disgusts me.

Sure. If you're a total idiot then you can end up in trouble with it. But that same idiot probably screwed windows up way worse to begin with.

And besides, if Samsung would ask canonical, I'm sure they would develope the software the same way they do Ubuntu, FREE.

I think you're missing the point. It's not about which OS is easiest to use. It's about the time, and effort it takes to develop Kies for the less than small number of people who would actually use it. If they could get someone to develop it for free on the other hand as you suggest, then that would be ok.

Captian4Phones

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I think you're missing the point. It's not about which OS is easiest to use. It's about the time, and effort it takes to develop Kies for the less than small number of people who would actually use it. If they could get someone to develop it for free on the other hand as you suggest, then that would be ok.

Canonical is a non-profit company that develops Ubuntu (a Linux OS). They've never made money off of their home OS. (I think they charge for their enterprise version). They are currently working on Ubuntu for Android. (Look it up, it's really sweet.) I'm sure they would have no problem developing the software. It all comes down to Samsung and the fact that there's a third party involved.

Lane L

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I hate it too. I had to use it to update a jelly bean on my older Windows XP machine, it froze and just before I was about to terminate the process it resumes updating the phone... Scary. Also, after while it stopped connecting properly on the same machine, so I had to install it on my parents Windows 7 machine where it seems to be working. I agree with all of the above posts. It kind of negates the purpose of having a smartphone if you have to have to use a computer to update it.:(

realspear

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Kies is one of the worst software products I have ever used. It can't restore from its own backups, can't import from its own exports. How could Samsung think this is viable for their customers?

Phantomflyer

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Though AT&T doesn't pertain to me being in Western Australia, I agree wholeheartedly that Kies really sucks! Kies has got to be the WORST piece of ordure-ware I have ever had the displeasure of using (it's virtually unusable) . They keep "upgrading" to a new version (now "Kies 3"). Just before that was released, the Kies version just before it (can't remember what its version was) actually started "behaving" itself! At least it recognised the folder structure and contents of my Galaxy S4. But now it doesn't even connect properly and if it does, it says "there are no - music - videos - photos - (whatever) on 'my name' Gal..." rubbish! There's heaps because I put it there and access it on the phone every waking day! But Kies 3 can't find it - nor does the button that says "click here to create a music 'file' or 'folder' even that doesn't work, nor does the 'or drag/create music - photos - folders here' ! How the f**k am I supposed to use Kies 3 in this utter state of disrepair? It won't even back up anything anymore. The folder that the older Kies backup was in was over-written by the version 3 'update', hence all that information is now GONE. So how am I supposed to back up my phone now, Samsung? Your software programmers are either not qualified or they're working in 'sweat shops' for a few dollars a day and simply don't give a toss! I can't understand how Samsung can make such a 'classy' phone, yet can't develop software on a Windows/Mac (mine is Win 7x64) O/S! It is anathema to me. Until they get Kies to work on those platforms, it would be superfluous trying to make Kies work on a Linux system!

When I connect my Galaxy S4 to my PC now, I simply use the Windows auto play dialogue pop-up that says "open device to view files'. It seems to be the only logical and, very likely, safest alternative to access both its external storage (which I simply drag and drop to/from) and its internal storage (used more sparingly but it still works). This way, at least these folders and files are visible, compared to absolutely NIL using Kies which just sits there with its 'refresh' circle spinning incessantly! I haven't tried to connect to Kies using Wi-Fi yet (and probably won't even try), and I'll be damned if I'm going to take the chance of having my expensive phone brick walled by software that has the potential to cause irreparable damage by ITS OWN developer's negligence (quite possibly someone they hired outside their own doors for a few cents an hour).

Does anyone here think that Samsung's programmers (or upper echelons) actually read these threads? I doubt it based on the never ending cycle of disappointment everywhere I look on the 'net after Googling "Kies doesn't work" or, in this case, "Kies sucks".

If they DO read these threads, then PLEASE READ THESE; and this: Come on Samsung! Get your s***t together!

I've tried contacting Samsung directly too with not even an automated reply saying "your query has been received and you will be contacted in due course" (or words to that effect normally received by a company with integrity an know-how!

I was expecting that by having my brand new S4 that I wouldn't need to use a Windows (also has many disappointing aspects as we all know) PC that much anymore. It's true that I can accomplish heaps with the phone on its own either using Wi-Fi or enabling mobile data (I only get 1Gb/month on my prepaid Vodaphone account) when I'm not near a hot spot; but I am still tied to my PC a lot of the time. What more can I say except that I'm really pissed off? :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys91