Decrease in battery life with ICS....am I doing something wrong?

Smudgie

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Decrease in battery life with ICS....am I doing something wro

Lmao. What a mess. There was such anticipation for this update. I've had friends rage at me the last couple of days that their Maxx, which normally lasted two days now only lasts one. Poor them..

But on the real though. I have years of experience with Android, Motorola in particular and their new updates. I've been through Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread and the magic fix which worked for me was: Going into Backup & Reset > Unchecking Automatic Restore, I even uncheck Back up my data because it really doesn't backup your wi-fi passwords like it says. Then do a factory reset. When your phone reboots don't log directly in to your Google account. Skip everything. Go back to the Backup & Restore menu and make sure everything is unchecked. Then go to accounts and add your Google Account.

The reason for this, as one smart individual previously stated, is that different OS versions are not meant to be installed on top of each other because there are incompatible files. So during every major OS update, you should factory reset your phone. The unchecking the automatic backup feature is an old trick from fixing problems on the Droid X with the Gingerbread update.

To assist you with Factory Resetting your phones, there are certain apps which make the transition easier.

1) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...eys.apps&feature=search_result&token=0FfAt89C

Appbrain backs up all of your apps to your Appbrain account so that you can re-install Appbrain on a factory reset and easily re-install all of your apps.

2) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pRestore&feature=search_result&token=QJm7137u..

Sms backup & restore backs up all of your text messages to your SD card which allows you to restore them after a reset.

3) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Q2FsbExvZ0JhY2t1cFJlc3RvcmUiXQ&token=0UV1tYnQ..

Call Log restore, by the same developer as the SMS app.

Unfortunately, most saved app data will be erased, unless there is a backup feature in the particular app. Advanced users can try to backup application data using Titanium Backup and restore the data after a reset, but you must be rooted to do this.

A lot of people dread factory resetting their devices, but if your phone is experiencing bugs and sluggishness with ICS, I as well as other users, strongly recommend doing one.

Hope this helps if you are struggling with the decision.

Sent from my banned Galaxy Nexus.

I am going to do the factory reset. I have not read any other posts where people are saying to uncheck "Automatic Restore" and "Back up my Data." Should I eventually recheck these boxes after I am fully restored? Thanks

thewinow

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

I did the factory reset and it really didn't fix the battery issue...not at all :(

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

I got my first glimmer of hope today in regard to battery life. I had done my factory data reset earlier in the week and did not see much if any improvement in the battery drain. Yesterday, after 8 hours in the office, even with data and sync off via smart actions when the phone was locked, my battery was down to 84%. The only use during that period was two text messages and several brief looks at my stock market app. Today, after almost six hours and some brief peeks at the stock app,one text message and a weather check, the battery is still sitting at 96%.This is much more consistent with its performance pre-ICS. I'll have to evaluate the drain when apps are being used but at least there's one positive sign. One thing that I did notice was that, when I fired the phone up after letting it charge while off last night, Circle Battery showed it's usual 99%. Before today, post-ICS install, the widget would come up at 98% every day. Maybe, as some have speculated, after a reset the phone and battery have to recalibrate to get the proper usage and readings.

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

My battery has improved since I factory reset last night. At this point yesterday, I was at about 55-60 percent, today I'm at 73 after 9h 51m 0s (although the screen was only for only 48m 39s). Not as good as pre-ICS, but I'm hoping it only improves........I'm still not bringing my charger to work like I did with my X, so it's still better than that thankfully.

I may do another reset without auto backup to see if it gets better.

Last edited:

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

Some additional observations: After the reset and a few days beyond that, the battery is draining very little when the phone is idle. Apps however, still seem to be chewing up more of the battery than they did prior to ICS. Unless you are a very heavy user, pounding the phone with multiple calls, text messages, videos and web surfing every day, my feeling is that the battery should easily last all day if not longer. I charge mine every night anyway so until I see the battery drop into the red zone much more quickly than I think it should, I'm not gonna worry about it. Overall, feature for feature and with the big boy battery this is still the best cell phone value out there, IMHO.

Smudgie

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Huge increase in battery life for me. After 25 hours I am at 70%

Praggles

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
After factory reset I was pleased with battery life...then this morning it hit again 104 degree battery temp screen hot to touch...so I check manage apps running and I saw it...Pulse reader pulling 120mb and loading data like crazy...I love pulse reader but...its now uninstalled...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

amirh1

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I followed B. Diddy's advice and went through clear cache first; things have improved but not same as before update (e.g. with Gingerbread). I go down to 20% by the end of the day - I used to have to work REALLY hard to get it down to 50%. But at least it now lasts the day...

I also have occasional heating, and I use Pulse (and I also love it... :( ). I'll uninstall it and see where we're at tomorrow. I'm really trying to avoid factory reset, now that I've finally arranged all the icons in their nice groups and everything...

trulaker9

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

My 2 cents in regards to the battery issue, is that atleast for me it has been tied to the phone getting very poor reception compared to GB. I rarely have over 2 bars in most areas with ICS and as everyone knows, when your phone is searching for a stronger signal it is using up more of the battery. So what I am looking for in a fix is a better radio for the phone and hopefully that will improve my battery life to pre-ICS levels.

Note: My phones battery life did improve after a factory reset (radio still sucks though) but still not at GB levels.

spacewalker404

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

Well, my story is that I used Verizons one year warranty to get a new phone because I couldn't get more than 16 hours on a charge. The new phone, much to my dismay, had ICS already loaded. New phone is lasting a tad longer. But the display is still consuming enormous amounts of battery in comparison to the OS and apps. ICS right now is 1 day 4 hours at 40% vs. GB was 3 days and 30%. Still looking into how to downgrade to GB. Any links? But before anyone asks, before I traded in the phone I did the factory reset 3 times along with battery calibration, cleared cache, brightness to 44%, and was still getting crap battery life. Read in some forum that killing your battery ruins the battery and that is probably why I was having crap battery life.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I am going to do the factory reset. I have not read any other posts where people are saying to uncheck "Automatic Restore" and "Back up my Data." Should I eventually recheck these boxes after I am fully restored? Thanks

So sorry. I got caught up this summer. Just for peace of mind I want to answer this.

The key is, after a factory reset you do not want to log into your Google account. Choose to add account later. Make sure automatic restore and back up my data are unchecked, then log into your Google account and sync it to the device. The reason behind this is after a significant system change, certain data shouldn't be reinstalled because it is no longer compatible. When Eclair updated to Froyo on my Droid X, my phone was very sluggish and the battery life was horrible. Upon performing this very fix, I noticed a huge performance increase and better battery life.

It is always a good move to factory reset your phone after OTA OS changes to ensure that none of the crap is left on your phone from the old OS and your phone runs smoothly. I love Motorola. Still do, but I am irreversibly spoiled by my Galaxy Nexus now. Always having the latest and greatest OS is a novelty. Motorola even now, is releasing the Droid RAZR HD Maxx...(I'm sure they will add more to this name in the future)... with ICS when jellybean has been on the nexus 7 and gnex since June. Motorola released your RAZR maxx with GB when ICS came out. They are a full version behind every release and when they finally push out the promised updates, things go wrong and break and you wish for the old OS back because it was more polished and bug free. The truth of the matter is that the RAZR maxx was better of on Gingerbread with 2+ days of usage and 4 hour screen on time. Moto look like liars now when people's promised usage time gets cut in half after the long awaited new and improved ICS update.

I applaud Motorola for having the best radios out of any OEM which provide the best and strongest signal strength, while I loath at the fact that they cannot release a phone with the latest Android OS.

Sorry for the delay. Hope your summer was great. Cheers! :cool:

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
What do you need your phone to last more than 16 hours? Why can't you plug it in over night. 16 hours is a crazy time for a smart phone, hello my nexus was dead in 6.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny