Desktop App who will use it?

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This was news from about a week ago but there is news that in a few more weeks, there will be a desktop version of Allo. Was wondering who will be using it. I'm hoping ( if they want to be successful ) they will replace hangouts with Allo with Gmail's/Inbox hangouts app. I'd also like if they would stop with the spammy sms for non android users or older OS for android but.. That's prob not going to happen...

I don't use this app with a lot of people because I know the spamminess of it annoys a lot of people. With those I know who get it on android with the preview version, it's okay. I love the app itself though it's not exactly end to end encrypted from the start. I don't know how a web version of it would help but I guess we will all see.

Google says the Allo desktop client is coming in a "few more weeks"

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A desktop client would make Allo a lot more attractive to me, although there still wouldn't be big reason for me to abandon Hangouts, since that still works fine. If Google finally axes Hangouts (which I hope they never do), then I guess it would make the transition to Allo less painful.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
A desktop client would make Allo a lot more attractive to me, although there still wouldn't be big reason for me to abandon Hangouts, since that still works fine. If Google finally axes Hangouts (which I hope they never do), then I guess it would make the transition to Allo less painful.

Hangouts is going to be geared toward businesses and Allo will be the primary IM app for individuals. Personally, I like Hangouts but I use Allo with my wife only since nobody else (that I know) uses it lol

https://www.blog.google/products/g-suite/meet-the-new-enterprise-focused-hangouts/

With RCS text messaging already here, I don't know how long Allo will last.

As far as the desktop app, I probably won't use it. I have a cell phone and tablet so really not needed unless I left both at home and have only the PC at work.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts is going to be geared toward businesses and Allo will be the primary IM app for individuals.

Yeah, I've heard that as well -- but I think Allo still limits you to using it on one device only, right? I like how Hangouts can be used on any device that's logged into your Google account.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've heard that as well -- but I think Allo still limits you to using it on one device only, right? I like how Hangouts can be used on any device that's logged into your Google account.

I'm not sure about Allo. I know it's tied to your phone number.

And I do like Hangouts because I have it on my phone and tablet. Also we (previous job) have used it for video conference calls.

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I'll be all over this once it's finally released. I use Allo everyday with my wife. I'm also on my computer at work 90% of the time and this will be much more convenient. I use Pushbullet, but for some reason when an Allo message comes through it will only show a small portion of the message. If it's just a few lines, everything works fine, but if it's a long message I have to grab the phone and open the app. A minor inconvenience I know, but still.

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I do like Allo and people talk about rcs.. but I think it'll be a long time till rcs becomes a thing if ever in the US... I just want something encrypted.. and Android messenger isn't that.. I just want Allo to feel legit as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcweir