Desperate GMAIL help needed

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I really need help and at my wits end. I left the android platform for a bit to IPhone X....Needless to say I want to use my Note 8 again. For the life of me, I cannot get gmail to sync anymore. I tried removing my google account, I tried a factory reset, I tried adding my google account to another android device...everything syncs like contacts, calendar etc....but NOT GMAIL.

I am at a total loss here as it still works fine on my IOS device and doesn't matter if I use WIFI or cell data. Any experts here with any clue...I'm dying here.

I would also like to add that I do not think its my device as this issue exists on 2 android devices I tried and I can add a different gmail account to either device with zero issues. Seems like something is specifically blocking my gmail (maybe a security or config setting somewhere) from allowing it to sync on the gmail app.

Last edited:

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
No, but should that make a difference you think? Contacts, calendar everything else syncs fine its just gmail. Plus even when I used my Note 8 before, I have always had an ipad with gmail working on it at the same time.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Might seem beside the point for now but. 90% users are not using 2 factor authentication. Enable it.

Are you still in ios or a Mac?

I've seen Outlook complain, too many concurrent apps accessing at once. Some Twitter clients also.

Apple pushes you to done form of 2FA while Google fears annoying too many users.

Gmail is best nanaged from desktop web browser where some options are only available there.
Might also look for error messages too.

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
On my IOS device (ipad and iPhone X, I still have gmail app loaded but only use while its on wifi) I use the official GMAIL app on ios and android, don't think it uses 2 factor. I do not use a mac, I use a windows PC. This is totally driving me nuts

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I really need help and at my wits end. I left the android platform for a bit to IPhone X....Needless to say I want to use my Note 8 again. For the life of me, I cannot get gmail to sync anymore. I tried removing my google account, I tried a factory reset, I tried adding my google account to another android device...everything syncs like contacts, calendar etc....but NOT GMAIL.

I am at a total loss here as it still works fine on my IOS device and doesn't matter if I use WIFI or cell data. Any experts here with any clue...I'm dying here.

I would also like to add that I do not think its my device as this issue exists on 2 android devices I tried and I can add a different gmail account to either device with zero issues. Seems like something is specifically blocking my gmail (maybe a security or config setting somewhere) from allowing it to sync on the gmail app.

I'd also try going to your Security checkup in Google:

Google.com | Google Security Checkup | Manage Your Security Settings‎

Here it will give you several things to review, such as the number of devices you have authorized to use your Google account. I would remove any old ones and maybe even go the "Don't recognize a device" and think about removing them all and starting over setting up your account on each device.

Not sure that will help, but trying to think outside the box

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks tried that just now, all it makes me do is sign into my google account again on the device, and I am back to square one....everything syncs except gmail. I am convinced it has to be a setting somewhere in my google profie not allowing just gmail to sync. I just cant figure it out

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure you've already checked here but just in case.....
1e0139edae8a777b1b79797491e58ed7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Power saving isn't on. I have the same issue on my tablet so I am convinced its not a device problem but rather something with my account which is only affecting android but works fine on IOS. Also if i add my son's gmail account to either device it works perfectly fine so definitely not my devices. This is driving me nuts!!!

Last edited:

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Power saving isn't on. I have the same issue on my tablet so I am convinced its not a device problem but rather something with my account which is only affecting android but works fine on IOS. Also if i add my son's gmail account to either device it works perfectly fine so definitely not my devices. This is driving me nuts!!!
Try using the Inbox app and see if it will sync with that.

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so the inbox app works fine, but I really need/want to use GMAIL. Its so weird that it doesn't work on either of my android devices. Could google security settings somehow, somewhere be blocking the android gmail app??

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it should matter but I wouldn't be surprised if crapple managed to lock it in somehow either

I think by saying crapple is showing your biases.

Apple and iOS do not own gmail, it might be an issue with your device. Have you tried a factory reset? Also, did you change your gmail password recently or have two factor log in?

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
yes I have, it didn't work. I also tried deleting cache, etc and by disabling it defaulted to the original version of gmail and it still didn't work.

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried on multiple android devices and it doesn't work, so I doubt its the devices. Adding other gmail accounts to the same devices works fine. I also tried 2 factor.....ready to pull my hair out.