Devastated, S-notes from Note 3 NOT compatible with Note 10.1

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to the heads up from al_sen on the incompatibility issue, I turned to Samsung support for advice. I have 4 pages of transcript if anyone wants the full horror story, but the synopsis is, Samsung has screwed us Note 10.1 users. The new Note 3 indeed uses a different format for S-notes. Tablet help person understood how wrong that is, it makes the S-notes on the Note 3 useless for sharing information to another device if any further editing is desired. (you can share as jpg etc.) When I asked him about Note 2 compatibility, he transferred me to the phone chat and that was somewhere in the Twilight Zone. He said S-notes were internal documents not meant to be shared between devices. I fibbed and told him I'd been doing it with my Note 1 and 10.1 when I really just found out I could email them, download them on each other and they could be opened and edited. I figured I'd wait for the Note 3 to figure out how to do it more eloquently than that. Anyway, after a long hold, he came back and S-notes from the 3 can be read by Note 2's but not the 10.1's. It wasn't clear whether that was read only, or if they would be editable.

Then he said it would take a samsung account to sync them and then they could be shared. I told him I did have that set up and asked him if that meant the Note 3's S-notes would then be compatible, he said I would have to wait until the Note 3 was released in the U.S. to find out. I told him the Note 3 was being used in 140 countries already, I gave him the model number on the manual that preach2k nicely provided. He said I would have to wait for the U.S. Version to be released because models are different.

Can you even begin to understand how unhappy I am? He apologized for the inconvenience and at that point I gave up. I have canceled the Note 3 and at some point will get a Note 2, after I'm done crying. :'(

(thanks much to al_sen and to preach2k, the information on the post about the S-note formats and having the manual at hand gave me valuable information so I could make sure the tech people knew what I was asking about) :-*

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow!

I would not have imagined that backwards compatibility would be an issue. I am still going to purchase the Note 3, but what makes this line of product so useful is the ability to sync notes between the devices. Without that ability to sync effortlessly I can understand your frustration, and desire to cancel your order.

It works like a charm between the Note 10.1 or Note 8 and the Note 2. I just thought it would be a given with the Note 3?

Because I use the feature all the time it is very disappointing to read about this issue. Not enough of a deal breaker for me, but I know you've been waiting two years for this functionality and I don't blame you for wanting to cancel. :-(

Posted via Android Central App

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to the heads up from al_sen on the incompatibility issue, I turned to Samsung support for advice. I have 4 pages of transcript if anyone wants the full horror story, but the synopsis is, Samsung has screwed us Note 10.1 users. The new Note 3 indeed uses a different format for S-notes. Tablet help person understood how wrong that is, it makes the S-notes on the Note 3 useless for sharing information to another device if any further editing is desired. (you can share as jpg etc.) When I asked him about Note 2 compatibility, he transferred me to the phone chat and that was somewhere in the Twilight Zone. He said S-notes were internal documents not meant to be shared between devices. I fibbed and told him I'd been doing it with my Note 1 and 10.1 when I really just found out I could email them, download them on each other and they could be opened and edited. I figured I'd wait for the Note 3 to figure out how to do it more eloquently than that. Anyway, after a long hold, he came back and S-notes from the 3 can be read by Note 2's but not the 10.1's. It wasn't clear whether that was read only, or if they would be editable.

Then he said it would take a samsung account to sync them and then they could be shared. I told him I did have that set up and asked him if that meant the Note 3's S-notes would then be compatible, he said I would have to wait until the Note 3 was released in the U.S. to find out. I told him the Note 3 was being used in 140 countries already, I gave him the model number on the manual that preach2k nicely provided. He said I would have to wait for the U.S. Version to be released because models are different.

Can you even begin to understand how unhappy I am? He apologized for the inconvenience and at that point I gave up. I have canceled the Note 3 and at some point will get a Note 2, after I'm done crying. :'(

(thanks much to al_sen and to preach2k, the information on the post about the S-note formats and having the manual at hand gave me valuable information so I could make sure the tech people knew what I was asking about) :-*

All this can be fixed with an update to the old 10.1. Once the new 10.1 2014 is released. Did you asked them about an update?

Esaifullah

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Let's not exaggerated things. Clearly that S-Notes in GN3 has been significantly improved, so it won't be compatible with the old S-Notes.
It is a common thing. New file format might be needed for better experience with S-Notes.

You can wait for an upgrade for your old GN 10.1 or you can try to start converting your old notes into the new format. Purchasing GN2 would be pointless because I'm sure that eventually S-Notes in GN2 will also be upgraded into the new version.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I really think that JHighnote just jump the gun on this.If you did not see it watch the video of the Podcast of the GNote 3. The questions was is worth going from Gnote2 to Gnote3. The answer was an outstanding yes. JHighnote I think that you should stick with the GNote3. I have the Gnote10.1 and I am getting the Gnote3 when it get released.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I asked about updates, no information, sorry for the inconvenience were the answers. And I've tried Lecture notes, and One note, and Papyrus.... maybe I should give them another try. I know the Note 3 is just super..... But waiting to see what updates do can take a long time.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
When it comes to performance, Lecture Notes is it. When it comes to resolution issues between devices, there may not be a resolution.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
When it comes to performance, Lecture Notes is it. When it comes to resolution issues between devices, there may not be a resolution.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
and THAT is what worries me. decisions, decisions. I will give Lecture Notes another try, thanks.

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Let's not exaggerated things. Clearly that S-Notes in GN3 has been significantly improved, so it won't be compatible with the old S-Notes.
It is a common thing. New file format might be needed for better experience with S-Notes.

You can wait for an upgrade for your old GN 10.1 or you can try to start converting your old notes into the new format. Purchasing GN2 would be pointless because I'm sure that eventually S-Notes in GN2 will also be upgraded into the new version.

I'm not sure if S-Note on the Note 3 has been updated since this conversation took place, but just this morning I was able to open an S-Note document that was in Dropbox from my Note 2 with no issues. S-Note had to convert the file to the latest version, but it did open the file.

2013-11-24 01.32.35.jpg2013-11-24 01.32.46.jpg

Maybe it's the backward compatibility that's the issue, as I've never tried opening an S-Note from the Note 3 on an older device. But I imagine that would like trying to put a 3DS game in a DS or a DVD into a CD Rom drawer.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if S-Note on the Note 3 has been updated since this conversation took place, but just this morning I was able to open an S-Note document that was in Dropbox from my Note 2 with no issues. S-Note had to convert the file to the latest version, but it did open the file.

View attachment 93673View attachment 93674

Maybe it's the backward compatibility that's the issue, as I've never tried opening an S-Note from the Note 3 on an older device. But I imagine that would like trying to put a 3DS game in a DS or a DVD into a CD Rom drawer.

That's it exactly, S-notes can go from older device to the newer 3, but they can't go back to the older ones. I tried just syncing notes to dropbox but they showed up from my Note 3 onto the Note 10.1 and once there, they locked and require a password to do anything to them but no password works. I thought I had all syncing turned off after that but something triggered it and I ended up with more and Samsung reps are no help.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't get what all the fuzz is about... it's a NEWER device. Of course they're bound to be things that are not compatible with older versions! This isn't iWorld people, in these phones new features ARE new features that older phones will not probably get. You can always export your notes to images or sync the Note 3 with Evernote and use them in your older tablet that way.

You cannot expect to play a PS3 game in a PS2, can you? When Office changed formats that added the 'x' at the end of the file extension, you didn't expect to open those with older versions of Office, right? Same thing here! It's a new piece of software with new (and in my opinion, some improved, some really a step down) features. Older formats may work with the newer one, but don't expect the same to go back. Now, with the Note 10.1 2014 edition, I can say that they are totally compatible and perfectly synced. Action Memos though, that's another story (and this is where I think it's a step down from how the Note 2 used to handle these quick little notes).

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't get what all the fuzz is about... it's a NEWER device. Of course they're bound to be things that are not compatible with older versions! This isn't iWorld people, in these phones new features ARE new features that older phones will not probably get. You can always export your notes to images or sync the Note 3 with Evernote and use them in your older tablet that way.

You cannot expect to play a PS3 game in a PS2, can you? When Office changed formats that added the 'x' at the end of the file extension, you didn't expect to open those with older versions of Office, right? Same thing here! It's a new piece of software with new (and in my opinion, some improved, some really a step down) features. Older formats may work with the newer one, but don't expect the same to go back. Now, with the Note 10.1 2014 edition, I can say that they are totally compatible and perfectly synced. Action Memos though, that's another story (and this is where I think it's a step down from how the Note 2 used to handle these quick little notes).
Spookdroid, In all the Note devices that have been launched since the very first Note, THE NOTE 3 is the FIRST one that doesn't let us share S-notes with other notes! The fuss is because they were sold as being compatible, to share, to be productive. Think of it as getting a new computer with Microsoft Office only when you click on the blue W you get Word Perfect and can't be read by any other computer. I deliberately bought a Note 10.1 to use to share S-notes and now I can't. Yes, I fuss about it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't know who sold you yours but not once have I seen and ad claiming that they're backwards compatible. I've seen the Ads and it's between the Note 3, the 10.1 and the S4.

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't know who sold you yours but not once have I seen and ad claiming that they're backwards compatible. I've seen the Ads and it's between the Note 3, the 10.1 and the S4.

How many ads did you see that claimed they're NOT backwards compatible?

No need to answer. That was rhetorical.

What point are you trying to make here?

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just that it's wrong to assume something will be compatible with older stuff just because you want it to be. He says the product was advertised specifically as backwards-compatible; I have yet to see such advertisement. Yes, there's obviously not one that says that it's not, but if it's a new software with a newer file format it's sort of implied. BluRays and DVDs look alike and you can't expect a BR to work on a DVD player, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware