Dialer / Contacts Issue

Tom Furlan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi -

Not sure if this is the right forum, but we never had this problem until we got the Pixel 2, so here we go....

Having an issue with my girlfriend's phone contacts. This is her first Android , coming over from an iPhone 5. She did have a Google account and used it to set up her new Pixel 2. When she looked at her contacts, it not only had her phone contacts, but it looks like everyone she ever emailed from Gmail also showed up in her phone contacts. Not what we want.

We figured out how to go into the Contacts app and customize the displayed contacts by creating a new label called "phone" and putting just the contacts she wanted in there (under the "all contacts" section) . It looks great in the contacts App, perfectly sorted the way we wanted it.

However, when you go to the actual phone dialer, all of the old contacts are still there. I disabled the Phone app, cleared the cache, and still all of the old contacts are there, obviously ignoring the customization we did to the Contacts app.

So, is there a way to customize the Phone app to get rid of these unwanted email contacts, or do we have to use a completely new google account, and will that even help? I've always used Android phones and never had this problem, so we are stumped.

Thanks in advance for any help...
Tom

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you have access to a PC, do these two things:

1. Go to http://www.gmail.com and log onto her account. Click the gear icon at top-right, then Settings, then change "Create contacts for auto-complete:" to "I'll add contacts myself"

2. Go to http://www.contacts.google.com and delete the unwanted contacts. You'll find it is a lot easier to make major updates like this on the computer than on the phone. :)

Tom Furlan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
thanks.that helps. Still confused as to why editing details in the contacts app doesn't seem to affect the phone dialer. Is there any way to filter or edit the Phone app contacts?.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
thanks.that helps. Still confused as to why editing details in the contacts app doesn't seem to affect the phone dialer. Is there any way to filter or edit the Phone app contacts?.

Which list are you looking at in the dialer app?

In the image below, the list identified with the number 1 is the call history list. I don't believe any changes in your Contacts will affect what is shown here.

The list identified with the number 2 is your active Contacts file and should show the same data as in the Contacts app. Let us know if that is not the case.

Screenshot_20171120-085908.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly