****-dialing emergency numbers from lock screen

M El

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey folks,

Today I received a call from my local police department, who were responding to an emergency call apparently ****-dialed from my phone. Fortunately for myself there had been a major traffic accident, and due to the hubbub I was able to effectively cancel my ****'s 911.

My phone is an AT&T Galaxy S5 configured for fingerprint lock and was in my loose front left pocket, screen-in, at the time of the call. The phone is not rooted nor altered in any way, as AT&T makes such pragmatic modifications prohibitively difficult for the average person.

The police inspector who picked up when I called back asked me to lock my phone's screen to prevent further accidental emergency calls -- unhelpful advice, as the emergency call controls are always accessible from the lock screen.

Is there a way to permanently stop this from happening, or at least further complicate the emergency call process in a way that discourages ****-dialing? As all emergency responders were busy at the time of the call in question, 911 let me off the hook. But I'd really like to avoid future emergency ****-dials that result in the cops pulling up expecting trouble.

Cheers,

M.

M El

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Addendum: I did not realize this forum would censor "****". So where there are stars, substitute "derriere".

M El

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for so many self replies, but I reviewed the voicemail the police department left me. The message said that I "repeatedly" called 911 through the cell phone's emergency function. So the inadvertent touchscreen input happened at least twice in the same pattern.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63