Did Google force a Chrome update for Android?

lip008

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I noticed on my Sprint Moto E, Cricket LG G Flex 2, and Nexus 7 (2013) the Chrome browser updated on it's own. I have all devices set to not update automatically. The Moto E is registered to a RingPlus account and it used my data. Did anyone notice this on their Android devices?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a note 3. Chrome did autoupdate. I immediately cleared it's data, uninstalled updates, then froze it. I hope that takes care of it. I don't like any form of auto-updates.

lip008

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I forgot I made this post and almost double posted. The related forum articles brought up my initial post. Good stuff!

The update to Chrome used around 30Mb's of data. My question is what gives Google the permission to force an update when I have updates turned off. Was there some awful security issue that I'm not aware of like StageFreight? And even if there was an awful security issue this reminds me of Apple forcing U2's new album on iOS devices.

Why isn't anymore more upset over this?
Was there an article or post anyone can point me to?

lip008

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a note 3. Chrome did autoupdate. I immediately cleared it's data, uninstalled updates, then froze it. I hope that takes care of it. I don't like any form of auto-updates.

What did you use to freeze it? Titanium backup?
This is worse than auto-update. When the device is set to NOT auto-update it should NEVER happen.

lip008

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
And this thread doesn't belong in the Moto E sub forum. This is not even device related. Not sure if it was moved here or if I goofed. I want this post moved to get more hits. How do I move a thread?