Did VZ finally pull the plug on free wireless tethering as of the 4.2.2 update??

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
have been tethering when needed from day 1 using a Wigizoid hotspot switch..have unlimited data plan, no tethering plan. Can't get connected any more... Is this other's experience since the OTA? Does any other app work?

tx sk

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
have been tethering when needed from day 1 using a Wigizoid hotspot switch..have unlimited data plan, no tethering plan. Can't get connected any more... Is this other's experience since the OTA? Does any other app work?
It takes the developers awhile sometimes to update their apps to work properly with the OS update. If you are rooted, Switch Pro Widget works with 4.2.2, but it is not a free app. Only 99 cents, though.

It isn't Verizon that is causing this - it is the OS update.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
It takes the developers awhile sometimes to update their apps to work properly with the OS update. If you are rooted, Switch Pro Widget works with 4.2.2, but it is not a free app. Only 99 cents, though.

It isn't Verizon that is causing this - it is the OS update.

Switch Pro Widget doesn't need root to work. It still works like it always has.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
hey, OP here, tx for all the answers. I'm not getting connected and am tearing my hair out.....I installed that switch, and am switching on "tethering and portable hotspot". Keying in SSID name, security type and password. (same as before the upgrade)......my laptop's wifi "sees" the network,, I hit connect, type in the password and it takes a while, does not connect. Can this relate to the 4.2.2 upgrade??? I checked my PC..its connecting fine to the other wireless network I have available.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
hey, OP here, tx for all the answers. I'm not getting connected and am tearing my hair out.....I installed that switch, and am switching on "tethering and portable hotspot". Keying in SSID name, security type and password. (same as before the upgrade)......my laptop's wifi "sees" the network,, I hit connect, type in the password and it takes a while, does not connect. Can this relate to the 4.2.2 upgrade??? I checked my PC..its connecting fine to the other wireless network I have available.

So you are using Switch pro widget and have created a wifi tether hotspot toggle switch?

If so, first try it as an open network. To do this, toggle on wifi tether. Then go to settings, wireless & networks more, tethering & portable hotspot, setup wifi hotspot, security set to open.

Then toggle off the wifi tether. Then toggle it back on.

Then try to connect your laptop. If that works, then enable security and try again.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for walking me through the it.

I connected to the hotspot with my Google tablet fine.
So something is weird with my laptop, which connects five with the home network. Will have to play around with the Windows network settings

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Jay Heat

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Anyone using SVTP? after the ota it doesn't work....wont connect to my Macbook...been using this for two years without fail! Says IP address is "self assigned" and can't connect. Used it just fine last night to watch a movie ...now nothing ....please help!

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
You all do know that all you have to do is unlock your device and you can use your tethering/hotspot without spending a penny...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You all do know that all you have to do is unlock your device and you can use your tethering/hotspot without spending a penny...
I have unlimited data and an unlocked GNex. If I tried to use WiFi tethering through settings, it checked my account and said not unless I signed up for $30/mo hotspot feature and wanted me to OK that.

But if I use Switch Pro Widget, it works without asking me to sign up for $30/mo hotspot feature. So it is not as simple as unlocking your device if you have unlimited data plan.

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My wife's phone has 4.2.2 with a completely free widget called Power Toggles and it turns on the phone's native wi-fi hotspot with a single press I don't know what could be easier or cheaper than that. Phone is bonestock. The OTA as far as I know has taken nothing away that 4.1 had.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Follow up if anyone is monitoring:

I still cannot get my laptop connected to the hotspot. I even turning off encryption (making the hotspot "public"..... My laptop sees the android hotspot but fails to connect. A couple of times it connected but got "limited access"...no internet connection, then cut out. To repeat, my laptop connects to the hotel network fine, my Google Nexus 7 tablet connects to my phone's hotspot fine, but can't get my laptop and GNEX hotspot going.... very puzzling... I tried deleting the network from the list on my laptop and re-entering. still no connection. TZX

waldo15

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got the update to 4.2.2 overnight and the tethering has worked with two devices so far (Nexus 7 and iPad 1st gen) so your case may not be an issue with the 4.2.2 update it seems.

What type of security do you have setup for the wireless network? I have an IT issued laptop that will simply never connect to my hotspot if using WEP or open (no security). I have not had any issues moving to WPA2. Were you able to connect without a hitch in the past?

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Waldo, am using wpa2 psk. Set on nexus and on pc, I know I was tethering before the update, I don't think I changed anything

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777