Dimensions: Optimus V vs. Optimus S

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've heard some claims that the V is a near copy of the S with menu and home buttons swapped, but on the LG web site it claims the dimensions of the v to be 4.47" (h) x 2.32" (W) x 0.52" (D) and the dimensions of the S to be 4.23" (H) x 2.28" (W) x 0.47" (D).

I was just wondering if by some miracle someone out there happened to have both an S and V and could tell me if they were the same size, like some product announcements claim, or if they are in fact different, like the LG published specs claim.

I'm just trying to buy some accesories like a hard case, but there's not much V specific merch available on amazon yet.

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I ordered Optimus S screen protectors since they look almost identical. I get them in the mail tomorrow probably. I'll post back if they fit or not.

tremulos

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones and the only thing I feel is any different is the screen feels plastic its the same phone otherwise well exwpt the home and menu buttons

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have both the S screen protectors and a silicone case for the phone. As far as I can tell, the dimensions are identical.

I'm not confident in that enough to buy a hard case yet though. Grab a silicone cheap one that can fudge a little until a V specific hard case comes out.

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones and the only thing I feel is any different is the screen feels plastic its the same phone otherwise well exwpt the home and menu buttons

So the Optimus S has a glass screen? I heard V has fiber glass. That's why it feels like plastic. I thought all Optimus variants had the same feeling screen. Maybe to reduce the cost of the phone since it's an awesome prepaid phone, haha!

I ordered S screen protectors, and they are just a tad bit small side to side

Tad small side to side? Not so bad. The fiber glass needs protection. I got a minute scratch hours after getting the phone, lol.

UPDATE: I just applied the screen protector. I got it from eBay (search NEW 2Pack S-Shieldz LG Optimus S Screen Protector LS670). They are just a tiny bit short for the screen. It's fine side-to-side. But top-to-bottom leaves a small gap if you center it. But it is very good, nonetheless. So far it feels smooth. It's hazy since I just installed it. But so far so good.

Last edited:

Mr.Audio

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The Optimus S and V are, other than aforementioned button order, identical. All Optimus "x" phones use a plexiglass screen (not fiberglass, which wouldn't be clear).

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I see. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was thinking fiber glass as in weaponry or automotive stuff. But that's what I read on some other forum so just went with the more experienced techies.

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I wonder why the specs are different on the LG site. I'll get me a screen protector and look for a hard case (which I'm using to make a car mount).

Theoretically fiberglass could be clear if you used the right fiber and resin combo and had some way to eliminate all the tiny bubbles. Same ingredients as a laminated windshield.

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I wonder why the specs are different on the LG site. I'll get me a screen protector and look for a hard case (which I'm using to make a car mount).

Theoretically fiberglass could be clear if you used the right fiber and resin combo and had some way to eliminate all the tiny bubbles. Same ingredients as a laminated windshield.

FYI...there's info on car mounts that work at Android Forums and Howard Forums, and a good thread here in the Optimus S forum as well.

bencpht

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
A store in the mall sells cases for a lot of phones, and the hard cases for the Optimus s WOULD NOT FIT my optimus v. A guy on another forum bought the bodyglove case for the S and says it fit, but right now I'm settling for a soft gel case made for the S. Its stretched a little too tightly to think the S and V are the same dimensions.

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. The ebay sellers are marking the hard cases as fitting the S and the V as well as the U. Even the ones that are only marked V have a picture of the S in them. I've ordered a TPU case made for the S, should be here Wednesday or Thursday. The S holster and screen protectors are good so far.

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a Body Glove case for my V from the Optimus S and it fits just fine. I'm also using screen protectors from the S. The Verizon car mount for the LG Vortex works with the V, but doesn't trigger Car Home, which the V won't install anyway (but it does run Car Dock Home and Vlingo InCar).

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The TPU case I got fit pretty good, looks good too. If I was going to use it as intended I would have liked it to wrap around the face side a little more, but different brands probably will/already do. It also made the phone fit so snugly in my holster it was quite difficult to remove.

After I cut off the right side so my phone could slide in from the landscape top, and used some double sided tape to secure it to a bent nailling plate, it makes an excellent car mount that I can wedge into a seam on my dashboard. Might not be as secure as a snap on hard case, but it's much easier to insert and remove, and the power cable going through the hole in the case gives a little more security. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with my 6 dollar purchase.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I got an "S" screen protector yesterday from Best Buy, it's about 1mm more narrow than the "V" glass, I'm not sure how it fits on an "S" though.

As for the protector itself, it's too sticky and soft. My finger doesn't glide across it like the glass and it seems to get scratched pretty easy. The cheap protector for my Blackberry I got on Ebay was actually better in my opinion and about 1/10th the cost. I may try a cheapy or just take the darn thing off. I'm giving it a few days, it seems to be getting more slippery, but it still seems easy to damage.

Tal28

May 30, 2011
Visit site

did you ever try swapping the battery covers? I need a Optimus V battery cover and the only thing I can find is the Optimus S battery cover..

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the best screen protector for the Optimus V is the clear plastic film it originally came with. It's almost always perfectly applied by the factory and is a perfect fit. The only thing you have to do is to cut off the tab on the upper right, preferably as close to the edge of the screen as possible so you don't even notice there's a screen protector on it. There's an indentation between the screen and surrounding plastic, so I used an xacto knife to slice the tab off there. But you can also peel it back a little and cut the tab off with a scissor - more risk of developing a bubble this way though. Better than leaving the tab on though, as the tab won't stay down over time and will eventually catch onto something and peel the film back.

I even leave the plastic film on the battery cover (once again cutting off the tab) to protect against wear.

Best of all, it's free. :)

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the best screen protector for the Optimus V is the clear plastic film it originally came with. It's almost always perfectly applied by the factory and is a perfect fit. The only thing you have to do is to cut off the tab on the upper right, preferably as close to the edge of the screen as possible so you don't even notice there's a screen protector on it. There's an indentation between the screen and surrounding plastic, so I used an xacto knife to slice the tab off there. But you can also peel it back a little and cut the tab off with a scissor - more risk of developing a bubble this way though. Better than leaving the tab on though, as the tab won't stay down over time and will eventually catch onto something and peel the film back.

I even leave the plastic film on the battery cover (once again cutting off the tab) to protect against wear.

Best of all, it's free. :)

do you leave all the manufacturers stickers on your PC and laptop and Televisions as well? :p

in all fairness, I used my V without a screen protector for 3 months. I let it get fairly abused. used the screen with sandpaper dust on my fingers. and you know what? its pretty damn durable. no scratches yet. only if I turn the screen completely off and hold it at extreme angles into a light source can i see faint marks, but i think its just my eyes tricking me because I wipe the screen and there gone.

after an incident where my phone flew out of my jacket on my bike, and again where it flew out of my hands boarding the train, I decided to get a case.

I bought a optimus S rubber case, its slightly too tall vertically, so the top and bottom arent as snug aginst the phone as id like. however it fit my friends optimus S perfectly. I could not find a major difference in the phones by holding both though. it was weird.

also, I bought a screen protector ( so I could cover up the LG and Virgin Mobile logos cleanly ) and it was made for an optimus S.

firstly, its too small all around, leaving a major gap between where the protector ends to where the actual rest of the glass part ends. and its taller vertically then it needs to be. assuming it was made with a 2mm distance from the edge of the glass at all points. which it kinda looks like is how it was made. but if so, it wouldnt be taller up and down.

weird little things like this.

you would think if both the phones use the same hardware and same case style, and the same network (so they could use the same internal radios) then LG would save money by just re using the optimus S parts (glass screen, same body size, etc)

why would they spend extra R&D making a shorter case and using plastic instead of glass? sure the palstic is nice and hard to scratch, but they already manufacturer the glass, just increase the output.

ok rant over.

point = optimus S parts ive tried dont quite fit the V

GatorHat

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
^^

It could be the manufacturing tolerances in your second example for the screen protectors. I am using the OtterBox origianlly speced for the Optimus S/U. They later implied that the V would fit when it came out. The screen protector that came with the OtterBox and the case itself fit 100% like a glove. The tolerances were spot on.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
do you leave all the manufacturers stickers on your PC and laptop and Televisions as well? :p
TVs come with clear film stickies?!? :eek: I think I was short-changed on mine! :mad:

j/k. Ha, no I don't leave them on everything. I just don't see the point of peeling off a perfectly good screen protector just to have to go hunt for a replacement that's never going to be applied as perfectly as the original film.