Distance Warning App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I walked away from my phone with my galaxy watch 5 on and although I have disconnect warning set to buzz, it never did.

Fortunately, I got my phone back, but I would really like a warning any time I am more than 10 yards from the phone even if BT is still connected.

Is there any app or setting that will persistently warn me if I walk away from my phone even before BT is disconnected?

Thanks!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I believe the problem was my phone and watch were both connected to wifi so even though I was distant I never got the alert.

There used to be an app called wear aware that did what I want (It really needs to be persistent and annoying to get my attention).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There must be a proximity warning app for a Galaxy Watch 5 so we can't forget the darn phone??? The built in alert for disconnect is beat.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I frequently get the "discontinued from phone" indicator. I've never really checked into how that works (for example, if it will not indicate as soon as BT disconnects if the phone and watch are still within range to be on same wifi).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I need a more persistent app to warn me when I walk away from phone. The built in warning is too slow and stops buzzing on it's own. I want to be forced to turn off the notification.

I cannot believe there is no app to do it but I can't find one.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I need a more persistent app to warn me when I walk away from phone. The built in warning is too slow and stops buzzing on it's own. I want to be forced to turn off the notification.

I cannot believe there is no app to do it but I can't find one.
So you are looking for some sort of app or notification setting on the watch that will give you a really obvious alert or notification (on the watch) when the watch loses BT connection from the phone?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ideally, it would be distance based (like 20 feet) rather than BT disconnection but even BT disconnect is better than nothing. BT connection hangs on for almost 50 ft and it takes the watch several minutes to detect and report the disconnect.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
There are a few different "Bluetooth Scanner/Meter/Range" Apps in PlayStore. I doubt any of those are perfect and I'd also be a bit sceptical as to how well some of them work. However, one of those installed on your phone might be able to send your phone (and watch) a notification if the distance/signal of the Phone-To-Watch Bluetooth connection drops below a certain VERY STRONG threshold. If so, you'd have to play around with it to then find what works well enough for you. It might not end up any better for you however, since you could still end up not noticing soon enough the notification or dismissing it. Also, wouldn't help if the connection was immediately dropped, like if you are still nearby your phone but you walk behind a steel wall, etc.

What you seem to be interested in is the opposite in terms of an app on the watch, constantly measuring and reporting to your arm the connection strength status for your phone. I am not sure if you'll find one. The existing "disconnected from phone" notification feature is I think meant to do that adequately enough for most people.

Last edited: