Do any of you use micro SD card?

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I also used the Palm Treo 650, plus the 600 and 700 series! I loved the physical qwerty keyboard! But doing that "hotsynch" action for saving files was unreliable, haha! Before the Treo series, I had various generations of the original Palm Pilot, including the Star Trek tri-corder flip up lid model with the stylus pen. But the dot matrix B&W text was horrible! After the Treo series, I had a couple versions of the Palm Pre phone, I thought the whole "card" view thing was cool. I never did get an iPhone when it first got released and kept using my trusty old Treo 650 even after so many friends and coworkers switched over to the iCrap craze. Finally one day, Verizon released the first ever 4G phone known as the HTC Thunderbolt. I was the first in line at 5am at the Verizon store to get the Thunderbolt 4G phone on debut day. It's been Android phones for me ever since. Aaaah, those were the days, LOL! By the way, the Thunderbolt phone had terrible battery life cuz nobody knew at the time how much battery drain 4G phone signal would cause.

Those were great times! Exciting phones for the time. Waiting in line for a new phone was always a lot of fun. Party like atmosphere, meeting new like-minded people. The excitement of getting a new "toy." I really enjoyed that.
I had a Handspring (later Palm) Visor Deluxe with the add-on module, a Handspring Visor Platinum, Then moved on to an HTC Tytn (slideout keyboard/Windows Mobile pocket OS, I didn't start buying iPhones until iPH 3 (have had 6+ and have a [free] XR now to work on jailbreak themes but I don't leave a SIM card in it), but I've owed the Note 2,3,4, 7, 8,9,10+. I'm looking at the Z fold 2 instead of the Note 20 Ultra. I've always wanted a foldable phone. Ever since Sammy showed this at CES 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmQ7SlvYMzk

It was the Samsung S7 Edge that brought me back to Android for good now. I cannot stand iOS and iPhones. The notch just kills me on phones. hate it. I love tech and enjoy watching every review for so many phones. Love the out of the box customization with Android and I don't need to have a rooted phone.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Those were great times! Exciting phones for the time. Waiting in line for a new phone was always a lot of fun. Party like atmosphere, meeting new like-minded people. The excitement of getting a new "toy." I really enjoyed that.
I had a Handspring (later Palm) Visor Deluxe with the add-on module, a Handspring Visor Platinum, Then moved on to an HTC Tytn (slideout keyboard/Windows Mobile pocket OS, I didn't start buying iPhones until iPH 3 (have had 6+ and have a [free] XR now to work on jailbreak themes but I don't leave a SIM card in it), but I've owed the Note 2,3,4, 7, 8,9,10+. I'm looking at the Z fold 2 instead of the Note 20 Ultra. I've always wanted a foldable phone. Ever since Sammy showed this at CES 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmQ7SlvYMzk

It was the Samsung S7 Edge that brought me back to Android for good now. I cannot stand iOS and iPhones. The notch just kills me on phones. hate it. I love tech and enjoy watching every review for so many phones. Love the out of the box customization with Android and I don't need to have a rooted phone.

Haha, funny video, especially at the end! Chicks dig dudes with cool toys, LOL!

Remember the old action TV show "24" starring Jack Bauer who was always saving the President and the world from terrorists? Jack always used his Palm Treo phone that had special advanced James Bond features that nobody else had. The fact that Jack Bauer used a Palm Treo smartphone validated my own self worth of using the same, LOL! The funny thing was that Jack always used 2 different phones. His second phone was a cheap flip phone to make simple phone calls to his headquarter comrades for urgent requests, and he would get upset and angrily hang up his cheap flip phone with a smashing pow/bang sound for emphasis. You can't hang up a phone call using a Palm Treo with the same dramatic sound effect since the Treo phone doesn't have any flipping parts, haha!

Check out this YouTube video of Jack Bauer using a Palm Treo phone (advance to 0.23 second timeline). Although this video clip doesn't show the Treo phone clearly, in many other TV shows, Jack was clearly using a Palm Treo!
https://youtu.be/xpBXTQhwJl0

More links showing Jack Bauer using the mighty Palm Treo smartphone to save the world!
http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2340-1.htm
https://24.fandom.com/wiki/Phones_on_24/Season_5
https://dannysullivan.com/i-want-jack-bauers-cell-phone-74

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used an SD card since the S3. Had 3 failures on 2 different cards that needed to be restored by a PC. One was a SanDisk, the other a PNY. Never used them again unless I was forced to.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site

Those times are definitely gone for the most part. Now, we pay much MORE for phones that will bring LESS excitement factor, and whatever "new" feeling is there will quickly wear off.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
@Casey Cheung
Those are some great links down memory lane! I loved TreoCentral!
2013 Samsung was hilarious.

You're welcome! I spent many hours...far more than I should have...on the TreoCentral forum extolling the virtues of the mighty Palm Treo!

You're right about the new phones...don't get quite as much of the wow factor as a generation ago when we thought everything was so high tech.

7h3d34f0n3

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
I use mine mostly for the storage of audio file, pictures & videos. I have every Three Stooges short on my sd-card that I watch a random one at lunch.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I use mine mostly for the storage of audio file, pictures & videos. I have every Three Stooges short on my sd-card that I watch a random one at lunch.

Great use of your card! I had a 3 Stooges VHS that I would watch for hours as a teen. Love them. Curly and Shemp (?) were my faves. Moe made my toes curl with his bossy self.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. All my media files are on the SD card. As has been stated, easy transfer to another device, shortening the migration process (though the Samsung one is ace but I have all the photos since my Note 2 in the gallery).
Mainly though, an old school habit of separating OS and Data.

There is also Vid recording at the new, higher resolutions. Got a 128GB Evo MicroSD on 40% off during one of the black/cyber deals from official supplier around the time I got the 10 and had the money so thought it would do me for the next 10 years.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I like putting everything on my SD cards. The portability makes it great. Do any high capacity microSD cards record 4K video? I'm looking to get a 512GB or 1TB microSD when the Note 20 comes out.

Dave_BG

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
SD card is a must for me. I use a lot of storage and have not bought phone that does not support cards ever.
Any phone not having SD card capability is not even considered by me.

Also I have never had SD card to fail. I have no idea how people manage to make something that has no moving parts fail. On the other hand I always bough Sandisk or Samsung cards.

2ISAB

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
Yup.
I have all my ROMs and other junk but the TWRP backups (nandroid) is a must for me. I've never trusted cloud storage unless its temporary or my Onedrive, which is full of documents that I've scanned over the years etc.

I have 128GB internal
128GB external and a 3TB portable USB for backups of Backups.

Samsung galaxy a70 WAS on Android 10, but I've gone back to 9.

i also have a spare 64GB micro for my ****ty lenevo tab, which is incase i get locked out of my phone...yes IT'S happened before.

(back story, i was doing groceries drunk as one could possibly be to be able to shop, then i trying to text my mother and during the mist of it all, a car swoops past me and yells "get off the fffff road" and as i went to flip him the bird, i dropped my phone that was only a month old, then i couldn't get into it, so i went out and bought another phone exactly the same right.. the friggin sdcard was encrypted and i couldn't recover the data and to top it all off, when i opened up my shopping bag...the eggs were broken.)

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC LOL

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
A few years back, Samsung was particularly known for "eating" non-Samsung cards. Therefore, I have Samsung cards in my phones. ;)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Also I have never had SD card to fail. I have no idea how people manage to make something that has no moving parts fail. On the other hand I always bough Sandisk or Samsung cards.

SD cards (both standard and micro) are designed to be written to relatively few times. The reason most failures happen is due to people constantly deleting and rewriting to the card. That's one of the main reasons we don't recommend formatting them as adoptable storage. Some apps are writing data quite often to maintain their current state (useful for multitasking and app switching). The internal storage is built to handle that much data writing and rewriting, but can kill the SD card in short order.

I've always treated my cards with care and only once had one start to go bad on me. It was probably close to ten years old and it wasn't a complete corruption yet and was able to transfer my data. That was a Polaroid brand card, but now I only use Sandisk or Samsung cards too.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
SD card is a must for me. I use a lot of storage and have not bought phone that does not support cards ever.
Any phone not having SD card capability is not even considered by me.

Me too.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards