Do I need a case and/or Screen protector for my NEW MAXX?

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure. However, I received my replacement without any questions asked. I told them I had problems with the install, and they sent me another. That being said, I never actually cut mine so I am not sure how they would have reacted to that.
I finally received mine today. I would rather not cut it because it would be difficult to get it straight & to the right size. I really can't figure out how my case would bother it because it looks like it only covers the screen by 1/32nd of an inch, but that may be all it takes. The Ditztronic case isn't that much different from the Speck case, although the Speck is rigid on the sides so it can't move around on the screen. Not having used the Ditztronic I don't know if that was a factor in your situation, but the Ditztronic is very flexible. My husband has a saying "It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission." Maybe the best thing for me to do is install it the way it was sent to me. Then if it comes off I'll have them send me another one & I'll cut it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I finally received mine today. I would rather not cut it because it would be difficult to get it straight & to the right size. I really can't figure out how my case would bother it because it looks like it only covers the screen by 1/32nd of an inch, but that may be all it takes.

I've tried a few cases where I've noticed the Skinomi starting to peel a bit on one of the edges. I believe that the Otterbox Commuter was the one where I saw this. It doesn't happen with the Bumper case, or the Griffin Reveal. I can't remember whether it did with the Incipio Dualpro.

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I've tried a few cases where I've noticed the Skinomi starting to peel a bit on one of the edges. I believe that the Otterbox Commuter was the one where I saw this. It doesn't happen with the Bumper case, or the Griffin Reveal. I can't remember whether it did with the Incipio Dualpro.
I did install the unaltered Skinomi last night & left my phone alone until today. My case went back on without a problem and it doesn't look like it is interfering with the screen protector. As a side note, I noticed about 3 hours after the installation it looked like there was a small white hair under the protector. Boy was I upset. Not only did I have a temporary screen protector on, I also used the removed protector's adhesive side to tap all over the screen to remove ANYTHING & EVERYTHING that might be on the screen. Then I used their cloth straight out of the package to wipe the screen down. Prior to starting the installation (including removing the old protector) I washed down the counter that I was using & washed my hands well. In addition I eliminated any possibility of traffic through the room which might cause dust to scatter. I do have 2 small white dogs (see my picture), so I assumed it was a hair. After replacing the case this morning and starting to use my phone again I discovered that not only couldn't I see the hair when the screen was lit, I couldn't feel it either. It only shows up when the screen is dark. Now I'm wondering if that white line is from the solution that allows you to work with the protector. I hope it will go away along with the few bubbles that I have. If it doesn't I contact Skinomi for a replacement.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If it is solution, it will go away after no more than a couple of days.

I once read a tip to apply Skinomi type protectors in the bathroom after taking a shower. It may sound weird, but the humidity keeps the dust down.

PDX97229

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
If it is solution, it will go away after no more than a couple of days.

I once read a tip to apply Skinomi type protectors in the bathroom after taking a shower. It may sound weird, but the humidity keeps the dust down.

Not only hasn't the line from the solution gone away, one of the bubbles hasn't either. You were right about the case too; the edge of the protector has lifted very slightly right next to the power and volume buttons. The Speck Grip case covers those buttons so when depressed the edge of the case pushed to the left and lifts the protector. Shaving a little off the side would probably resolve the problem. I'll have to contact Skinomi and see what they say. Even if they send me another protector it will start lifting unless a little is taken off that edge.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Favorite setup of all time :

Verizon anti glare screen protector (installed by diligent employee)
When traveling or bad weather Paired with black otterbox defender (no chance of sand or dust scratching from being beneath the otterbox built in display guard)
Day to day use Incipio Feather

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i just got the droid maxx phone and love it. it is not much better than my previous droid razr maxx HD, but i did the upgrade mainly for the bigger battery.

i always use a case but i get the thinnest one on the market to not ruin the overall aesthetics of the phone. sure it does not protect it like an otterbox but those cases are huge and bulky. i went with the incipio feather.

i have never used screen protectors before on any of my previous phones but decided to experiment with them on the new phone.

i tried the zagg invisibleshield and did not care for it. i did not like the rubbery feel that is well known and i think it also took away from the clarity.

i tried the verizon wireless ones (anti-scratch) and those are terrible. i had the store install it and while it looked great for a few hours, dust eventually got inside it.

the screens on these phones are beautiful and the feel of it is great too, so i personally decided not to go with one.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjd19891