Do you guys use iOS in addition to Android?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What does "not optimized for tablets" even mean? It's stretched out? Pixelated? Black bars? I would think it wouldn't be that bad on the 7 inch form factor of the nexus 7?
There is a lot more screen real estate on a 7" tab over a 5" tab and you generally hold them differently. It makes sense to use more screen real estate with a larger screen and minimize how much screen you use at a time with a smaller one. With a phone you're usually using one hand but with a tablet you use two. It makes sense to optimize where buttons are based on how the device is held. If you jsut throw a phone app on a tablet it will assume it has a small screen and not use the screen as well as it could and the buttons might not be in optimal places.

I haven't used tablets a lot, but the IMDB app is one for Android that optimizes how it works for both. There are more on-screen menus that pop up in the tablet version when you tap things where on the phone version it will take you to a new screen entirely or display the information differently.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of getting an iPad until Android tablets catch up some more. The Xperia Tablet Z looked really impressive, especially the features Sony put into it, but the lag in screen transitions is very noticable and has been pointed out in numerous reviews.

I'm tempted to forgo both offerings and wait until the next gen of Windows 8 full OS tablets running Intel's next gen CPUs. Tablets are fun and all, but If I can run an actual full desktop/laptop OS on a tablet with no downgrade in performance or battery life, then I'd prefer to have something that can run full programs and not just mobile apps.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
IPad 4 here and currently using a nexus 4. Haven't had an iPhone since the iPhone 4 but I will be switching to the iPhone 5s when it comes. Android tests my patients to much. I'll be keeping my nexus 4 maybe for a music player and as a backup device though. In the tablet world the iPad is the top I think a lot of people would agree. When it comes to phones its a lot more about what u want in a phone.

Posted via Android Central App

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm split with my family. My wife and children use iPads. My wife also has an iPhone. I have the N4, N7, and Chromebook.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Your loss.
Not really we have iOS products and Android. In my experience Android products are superior.

... Bought a Nexus 7 and returned it 5 hours later. The lack of Tablet apps in the Play Store..
There are scores of good tablet apps. I don't think you're looking correctly, there is no special tablet store for android apps because they have always been designed to scale up/down.

There is no way you could have done a proper search in 5 hrs.

Rocking with the Note II

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I use a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7.

On the Apple side, I use a 4S and an iPad Mini. I love the quality of apps on the iOS side. Many of the apps that I have both iOS and Android versions, the iOS versions are often superior especially in the iPad versions. The same apps that I run on my Nexus 7 are simply scaled up phone apps.

I bought the Nexus 7 first but had I bought the iPad Mini first, I never would have bought the Nexus 7. I love the Mini that much. It's perfect.

I bought the Nexus back in February and the iPad Mini in June.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I use a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7.

On the Apple side, I use a 4S and an iPad Mini. I love the quality of apps on the iOS side. Many of the apps that I have both iOS and Android versions, the iOS versions are often superior especially in the iPad versions. The same apps that I run on my Nexus 7 are simply scaled up phone apps.

I bought the Nexus 7 first but had I bought the iPad Mini first, I never would have bought the Nexus 7. I love the Mini that much. It's perfect.

I bought the Nexus back in February and the iPad Mini in June.

The quality of apps between iOS and Android depends on what type of at you are interested in. I use a lot of Google services. Therefore, when looking at the quality and functionality of Google apps, the Android versions are superior to me. And the way they are integrated into the operating system is also superior. But this is to be expected. Other apps like Netflix, HBO Go, Watch ESPN, Golf Now, CNN, eBay, PayPal, Amazon, Chase, Facebook, Twitter, Starbucks (these are all of the third party apps that I have on my phone) work just the same as iOS apps and look just as good. The only difference I have seen is that the games on iOS seem to run better. But I don't think that has to do with the apps themselves as much as the hardware that they are running on.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The quality of apps between iOS and Android depends on what type of at you are interested in. I use a lot of Google services. Therefore, when looking at the quality and functionality of Google apps, the Android versions are superior to me. And the way they are integrated into the operating system is also superior. But this is to be expected. Other apps like Netflix, HBO Go, Watch ESPN, Golf Now, CNN, eBay, PayPal, Amazon, Chase, Facebook, Twitter, Starbucks (these are all of the third party apps that I have on my phone) work just the same as iOS apps and look just as good. The only difference I have seen is that the games on iOS seem to run better. But I don't think that has to do with the apps themselves as much as the hardware that they are running on.

That's right. You may not see the huge differences that I see unless you use the same apps as me. Several weeks ago, I posted screen caps using the same apps on the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini. I posted this in one of the Nexus 7 threads. The apps I used were the 9news.com app, Sirius/XM and the AP news app. These are apps that I use everyday. On the 9News app, not only can I watch their newscast when it is live using the iOS app, there is no such option on the Android app. The difference in the two versions of the app on that app alone are night and day. It's a local news channel app here in Denver.

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
so you have to pay twice for the App, if there is a cost?
1 for IOS, and 1 for Android? No way to transfer over to other platform devices after you have paid?
Obviously on the same ecosystem, there is only one cost... have same apps on iPhone and iPad, as well as the device specific ones.
Agree that the Apple apps are just awesome.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
1 for IOS, and 1 for Android? No way to transfer over to other platform devices after you have paid?
Obviously on the same ecosystem, there is only one cost... have same apps on iPhone and iPad, as well as the device specific ones.
On apps that cost, yes, you have to pay twice to use on both platforms.

I also have some apps that I had to buy twice just to use on the iPhone and the iPad Mini. Some devs don't make an all in one app for all iOS devices. You have to buy the specific version for either the iPhone/iPad. Tweetbot was one of these.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have certain apps that are exclusively on iOS, that I have an iPod Touch for that.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Mobile Nations mobile app

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a last gen iPod Touch in addition to my One that I have used all the time to play music, but since I got the One and Google Play Music I have uploaded all my music to Google Play and been transitioning to using my phone exclusively - not 100% there yet, but I pull out my iPod far less than I used to.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Not really we have iOS products and Android. In my experience Android products are superior.

There are scores of good tablet apps. I don't think you're looking correctly, there is no special tablet store for android apps because they have always been designed to scale up/down.

There is no way you could have done a proper search in 5 hrs.

Rocking with the Note II

Yes, you can do a proper search in 5 hours, because the tablet app ecosystem on Android is that bad and the app store is that barren of apps that were designed specifically to be used on Tablets. iOS development is completely different. Compare Facebook, Twitter, OneNote on the iPad to what's on Android and then come back and talk to me about how I should accept crappy scaling of smartphone apps to a 7-9" screen (cause I actually went and got a Nook HD+ and tried it the day before yesterday, and returned it cause the results are even worse on a bigger screen) as "tablet apps."

It takes less than 5 hours to do a proper search. I'm not new to this... There is even an app in the Android market that will tell you which apps are tablet-optimized and there is a website that lets you load apps in an emulator in your browser so you can check to see how it looks on a tablet. 5 hours is too long. If it takes you more than 2-3 hours to check to see if your apps are tablet-friendly, then you're doing something extremely wrong and shouldn't be lecturing anyone on an enthusiast site about it.

I don't use third party apps for major services on my devices, for support/update/privacy reasons. iPad users don't have to do that :) So don't make that suggestion.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

iOS developers have already offered me complimentary copies of their iOS apps in a few cases, and they're pretty true to their word cause these are companies/devs that I have spoken to in the past about issues and whatnot.

In some cases there are Universal apps available for iOS while the Android versions require you to purchase the Smartphone and Tablet versions separately.

If you get in contact with some developers, they are sometimes willing to credit your purchases on other platforms, and avoid you having to pay twice for the same app.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What does "not optimized for tablets" even mean? It's stretched out? Pixelated? Black bars? I would think it wouldn't be that bad on the 7 inch form factor of the nexus 7?

It means that it was designed to use the screen real-estate of a tablet PC, not simply stretch the smartphone interface across a bigger surface area.

For example, OneNote for iOS has a Ribbon Interface on the iPad which makes it a complete joy to use, while the Android version is simply a blank slate smartphone interface stretched across a larger surface area.

Facebook for iOS has both side bars visible on the screen along with the stream in landscape mode on the iPad, because there is room for that on a tablet and it's simply a superior way to display things on that screen size. The Android app is still simply the smartphone app - stretched across a larger surface area.

Twitter for iPad puts the navigation on the left side of the screen and gives more room for content, among other things. The Android app on a tablet is simply the smartphone app blown up.

Most 3rd Android apps do not have a proper tablet version, but those same apps have a proper iPad version.

There is a difference between "Works" and "Designed for." Those iPad apps are designed for the iPad, and work better than their Android counterparts in almost all cases.

I do have a few apps that are Universal on Android. OfficeSuite Pro, Pocket, and Skype for example. But 90% of the 3rd party apps I installed and ran simply presented a blown up smartphone interface, and I don't like a lot of the third party Twitter/Facebook clients, among other things, because those developers don't know how to design a decent user interface (often too busy, bad themes, etc.) - nevermind there are features missing (Facebook Voice Calling, some Messenger Features, Twitter Push Notifications that no third party app is as good at doing, etc.) and feature implementation lag.

Lastly, a device with locked storage (any Nexus) has no room for redundant applications. I'm not ditching the Official, and I don't see a need to install a worst third party app (in overall functionality) in addition to it.

So I'm not touching Android tablets until the developers start pushing out quality tablet apps, like on iOS/iPad.

I'm up for upgrade soon, so buying on two platforms can potentially not be an issue for me...

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Many of the apps that I have both iOS and Android versions, the iOS versions are often superior especially in the iPad versions.
Many apps that are ported from ios to Android are bad but that is not to say apps on ios are more robust it just proves that the port was shoddy. I rarely install such garage on my devices.
Games are an exception because they don't need to follow the app guidelines for each os.

Top quality companies that do support multiple platforms do a fantastic job, example is Google, Evernote, Netflix, Adobe, etc...

What I found gives the best experience is to look for the best in product for each platform.

For instance with PDF iOS iAnotate is a great product, for Android it's horrible. On Android I much prefer RepliGo which is superior to the iOS versions of iAnotate.

Rocking with the Note II

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Finally some decent conversation in this thread where people didn't jump down others throats about their opinions.

Here are two screen caps, one from the iPad version and one from my Nexus 7. Huge difference. This is from a local news app, 9News. These caps are from June so the news items pictured are a bit old. You can see on the iPad version, I can use the app in either the landscape or portrait mode while the Android version is only useable in portrait. The Android version is identical when used on an Android phone as it is on the Android tablet, it doesn't change for a tablet.

ON the iPad version, they have even added a nice desktop clock that changes scenes and displays time and temp and current headlines It even has an alarm clock which is left out of the Android version. Also on the iOS versions, I can watch the news cast when it is live through the app by selecting Live Now tab. They do not have that function on the Android app.

wzt7.png

ca6y.png

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
This is all excellenta information... And if you are sitting on the (uncomfortable!) fence, it says to go with Apple.
Yes you pay for it, but marginally get a better user experience...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001