Do you guys use iOS in addition to Android?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Choices will need to be rethought this year with the introduction of Haswell powered tablets/laptops/hybrids. Previously if you wanted portability+performance+long battery life, the majority of people turned to the iPad, adding yet another gadget to their stable of devices. Interestingly enough when polled, most people today still turn to their laptops and desktops for serious work, with only around 1% of people preferring a tablet for content creation. ARM based tablets on the other hand offer the the most portable and lightweight way to consume movies, surf the web, and play games. But they're still gadgets and they're still adding a 3rd device you need to own if you're out and about a lot and want to have the best productivity tool as well as a tablet for media consumption.

Once haswell powered devices hit the shelves though, it's going to be possible to have both on one device. A tablet that can run serious programs, and also play movies, games, and web browsing without the bulk of a laptop or the need to be always near an electrical outlet. App selection will no longer be a problem because a haswell PC can install any program you can install on a laptop or ultrabook.

Price is going to be the defining factor because I can't see any of these devices falling under $500. If you're currently a user of both laptops and tablets, then being able to combine both devices into one would basically cancel out the price difference with the benefit of having one less device to bring along. However if you're a desktop user who only uses a tablet for media consumption / play and has no use for a more productive mobile device like a laptop or ultrabook, then the haswell tablets are in my opinion, not going to be as cost effective for you as an android tablet. Since Apple will most likely refuse to budge on iPad pricing though, this presents iPad buyers with a serious dilemma because it's going to be a lot harder to justify a $700+ iPad when you can get a full computer OS for approximately the same price, size, weight, performance and battery life. Whether you like or dislike Windows 8, you can do much more on it than on iOS by orders of magnitude. You could easily justify an iPad until now because laptops and even ultrabooks were too large, ran hot, had short battery lives etc. Or if they were small enough, they had underpowered Atom processors. That's no longer going to be the case from 2013 forward.

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Choices will need to be rethought this year with the introduction of Haswell powered tablets/laptops/hybrids. ...

Exactly. I posted elsewhere re Haswell, think it was my thread in the General Discussion forum, re ipad Alternative.
Haswell will change the game... and I for one want one!!

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else use both android and ios? How to you keep them in sync with one another? Do you find investing in two separate ecosyes
tems to be expensive or cumbersome?

Have both an Android phone and an ipad and there are only certain things I feel the need to keep synced up. I use MobisleNotes to jot todo list down and keep them not only synced with my mobile devices but my computer as well. I do the same with my calendar by using Google Calendar to do that. My contacts are synced between my iPad and computer but for my phone I tend to link up to Facebook instead. I use Our Grocieries to sync up grocery shopping list not only on my devices, but my partners cell phone too so we don't duplicate buy or forget things. For music, I am in a state of flux right now as much as the industry is itself. I have some things in Amazon, some things in Google, some things in ITunes...it's a little disjointed. Hoping that Google releases an iOS app soon for their music service. That would help a lot. Though I might consider using another service like Sony's because then I would have an additional platform in the form of my PS3 to listen on. Not sure yet what form my music listening will ultimately take. Right now I listen to Soundcloud a lot and that's all synced up automatically between my devices.

Since I mostly use free apps I haven't found the multi-platform thing to be expensive or cumbersome. It does involve some choices though in some cases. For instance, I only buy Pinball Arcade tables on iOS as I don't want to spend twice for the same thing.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I use my wife's iPad for specific apps - Watch ABC, Amazon Instant Video, and traktor dj.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I?m too old to multitask (being a man doesn?t help!) and I really couldn?t cope with using two different mobile OS.

When I moved from S60 there was only one option: Android. I hate the whole idea with iOS ? its either done their way or no way and I?m too much of a free spirit to be doing with that. They make great quality devices, have great integration, and are perfect for a plug-and-play solution but just not for me.

Apologies if this is slightly off-topic, but thought I?d throw in my tuppenny worth and no offence intended to iOS users

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Really, I'm going back and forth wether to buy the new nexus 7 in addition to my ipad mini and ipad 4. 3 tablets seems crazy, huh? I'm just not sure if the nexus 7 would serve my needs better as a 7 inch tablet. Petty much, how I figure my uses for my devices go, I like my phone to be productive, forward thinking, connective, and things like that. I think android is serving that need the most right now, therefore I have a nexus 4.

For tablets, I'm noticing myself using the ipad 4 for video viewing, comic reading, and gaming,

I'm using the ipad mini mostly for web browsing in bed, reading, and when I need one thing bigger than Myron's, but something smaller than the ipad 4.

So really, I'm wondering if the new nexus 7 is going to serve that need better than the ipad mini is right now. Considering its better screen and all.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I hate this indecisiveness, lol. Just really afraid to make a purchase mistake or waste money, you know?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
so you have to pay twice for the App, if there is a cost?
1 for IOS, and 1 for Android? No way to transfer over to other platform devices after you have paid?
Obviously on the same ecosystem, there is only one cost... have same apps on iPhone and iPad, as well as the device specific ones.
Agree that the Apple apps are just awesome.

Same as if you bought the same game on PS3 and Xbox.

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use both and like both. I have an Android phone and my wife has an iPad that I use regularly. I also use Windows Phone sometimes and I really like it as well.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Currently I own a Nexus 4 and a ipad mini and ipad 4.

I love my iPads and think their tablet experience is superior to what android does right now for tablets, but I think I'm liking android more for my phone uses. The thing is, I don't know if is be better served just going all in on ios or going all in on android.

Does anyone else use both android and ios? How to you keep them in sync with one another? Do you find investing in two separate ecosyes
tems to be expensive or cumbersome?

I agree. I think the Apple tablets are superior to Android still.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

labrat1028

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can do a proper search in 5 hours, because the tablet app ecosystem on Android is that bad and the app store is that barren of apps that were designed specifically to be used on Tablets. iOS development is completely different. Compare Facebook, Twitter, OneNote on the iPad to what's on Android and then come back and talk to me about how I should accept crappy scaling of smartphone apps to a 7-9" screen (cause I actually went and got a Nook HD+ and tried it the day before yesterday, and returned it cause the results are even worse on a bigger screen) as "tablet apps."

It takes less than 5 hours to do a proper search. I'm not new to this... There is even an app in the Android market that will tell you which apps are tablet-optimized and there is a website that lets you load apps in an emulator in your browser so you can check to see how it looks on a tablet. 5 hours is too long. If it takes you more than 2-3 hours to check to see if your apps are tablet-friendly, then you're doing something extremely wrong and shouldn't be lecturing anyone on an enthusiast site about it.

I don't use third party apps for major services on my devices, for support/update/privacy reasons. iPad users don't have to do that :) So don't make that suggestion.

Any links? Hella time finding GOOD tablet apps for my new Note8. That emulator sounds like it would be very useful as well.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Yup I do. I have an ipad, which I believe beats every another tab out in the market. I just love my GSIII N iPad.

Sent from my GSIII

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I used to but I just went full Android so I wouldn't have to keepbuying two versions of the same apps.

Not rooted, Stock rom, just Awesome (NSA)

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have an Android phone (GNex), Nexus 7, and an iPad 4. The iPad is almost strictly used for watching videos, partially because I prefer the bigger screen and partially because Amazon Video only works on iOS or Kindle.

For everything else I use Android. The new Nexus 7 is fantastic and I prefer it for reading and browsing because of the great screen and light weight.

Sent from my Nexus 7

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I have an Android phone (GNex), Nexus 7, and an iPad 4. The iPad is almost strictly used for watching videos, partially because I prefer the bigger screen and partially because Amazon Video only works on iOS or Kindle.

For everything else I use Android. The new Nexus 7 is fantastic and I prefer it for reading and browsing because of the great screen and light weight.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Nexus 7 2nd generation?
I'm thinking to buy iPhone in addition to S3. It has started causing a trouble like slow charging.

Sent from my GSIII

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I use a macbook but my phones have always been Android. I most likely will never own another Apple product. I don't like how they always make proprietary os and products. I don't like all the legal battles they project at other OEMS. I don't like how they pay other app developer's to keep it only Apple exclusive . These are just my own dislike towards Apple as a company and that's why I don't support them.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I use a Nexus 5 but I have an iPad mini and a Nexus 7 2013 for tablets. So yes I have an iOS device but I don't use my iPad at all really because I prefer Android to iOS. I actually got the iPad mini as a gift.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz