Do you leave your Chromecast "ON" or plugged in 24/7?

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any problems with mine. I don't use it that much but when I do it is usually a couple hours for a movie or music. Mine is in the back of a cabinet behind my receiver, so plenty of heat in there when in use.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app

Dittio...No problem with mine either.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine is always connected and doesn't get too hot. It is warm when the TV is on obviously cause the TV is running warm.

Posted via Android Central App

ModernTenshi04

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I move it between my big plasma in my living room, and my smaller LCD in my bedroom. Both TVs have USB ports that I can use to power my Chromecast, but they seem to work differently.

On my plasma, when I turn off the TV power is also seemingly cut from the Chromecast. Power it back on and the lights indicating it has power come back on.

The older LCD set in my bedroom? It'll remain powered even when the TV is turned off.

I tend to unplug it when I'm not using it because the lights on the back will still blink occasionally (go from white to red), which I find distracting while watching TV in a dark room. Not sure if moving it around caused it, but over the weekend I was having massive issues getting it to connect to my main network while plugged in to my plasma. Kept telling me it couldn't connect. I restarted the router and everything else that connects to it was able to hit the Internet just fine, but the Chromecast still had issues. Plugged it into my bedroom TV, which is closer to the router, and it worked fine. Took it out to my living room again, and it worked fine.

bcbenton

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
my TV is too old to do CEC but i cant leave my CC on 24/7 or else it looses connection from my router and i cant cast to it and the only fix is to reboot the router. so i unplug it when im not home
This is what mine does. Everytime I want to use it I have to reset it and then sometimes multiple tries. Maybe I have a bad device. I am very unhappy with it to be honest.

Ron Brewster

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I left my Chromecast plugged in to my 46' Visio for about a week after receiving it. After that week, I watched a full length movie on it and my Visio started having HDMI failures. It slowly deteriorated over the next week and now it's main board needs to be replaced.

Has anyone else experienced this? I hesitate to blame it on the Chromecast as I haven't been able to find anyone else with this experience.
I am worried that the using the wall power adapter is too much for long term plugging in.

Cheers.

Dee Dee3

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I came to the forums to find my answer about my chrome cast blinking. You guys are hilarious..electrical tape.So far it doesn't bother me..but now that all of you mentioned it I probably will be using the same tactic...lol

racer_600

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had been out of town for the last week, and left my chromecast plugged in. Completely unrelated to power for lights, what about data usage?
While just sitting there is flashes pictures it gets from online. All my PC's where off and all that was online was my voip adapter which only uses 4 megs a day when left alone. Yet while I was gone my ISP tracked for almost 250 megs a day.
Did it really use 250 megs a day idle? Im more concerened about that then power or an led on.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been unplugging mine (had it all plugged into the tv, both HDMI and USB) because it has this nasty habit of causing my TV to cycle on and off. This happens when I first turn on the TV and it is on an input other than the Chromecast (e.g., turning on the tv to watch cable).

I hadn't even thought of the auto updating aspect.

mathiasjk

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine have been plugged in and turned on ever since I got it for christmas. Yes it gets hot, but the ability to start casting without changing output on my remote beats it.

scag21

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung PN60E8000 with the Chromecast connected to the usb and HDMI 3 port. I got the chromecast months ago and i have had the tv almost a year now. As of late, i have been having a lot of major problems with my TV. Just wanted to get an opinion, if you think the Chromecast could be causing the problem. Thanks for any info you can provide

Situation:

The TV is about 10 months old when this all started. First, the TV power would go off randomly, red light blinks and make a clicking noise when trying to come on. After plugging it into the wall, instead of Panamax digital surge protector. It came on for about 20 minutes and went back off and never came back on. I called Samsung Support and they gave the repair to a company in my area.

Video of the issue: Red light of death - YouTube

1. First visit- They replaced the power capacitor and the TV still did not come on. They had to order more parts
2. Second Visit- They replaced the main board, blue tooth module, and wifi module. TV was find for about a week, then it went back off with red light blinking and clicking. Called Support
3. Third Visit- They replaced the Panel and everything was working fine for about 30-45 minutes. All of Sudden, i went outside and came back in and the TV was off with red light blinking. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It came back on, it lasted for about 15 minutes. At that point, we heard a loud crack and i looked at the TV and see sparks coming from the bottom. I immediately unplugged it and called Support. They transferred me to customer relations and they said the service company needs to come back and deem it un-repairable, then they will accommodate me.

I will find out more info later today or tomorrow depending on when the service can come back out. I'm waiting on a call from them right now. I will update as i hear back.

micaels

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have left mine in 24/7 and to be honest not thought about removing it. Think it will probably stay there since I do not have a cap on my data at home.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I leave it plugged in to the TV ... and the power is provided by the TV (Samsung UN40ES6150 has a 1A USB port). When the TV's on, so's the Chromecast. In fact, I have the TV turn on in the morning "get ready for (ugh) work" hours, in preparation for the day when Google provides some weather, traffic, either from my phone or direct to the Chromecast. (Didja y'all notice that "rough location (wifi)" permission was added to the Chromecast Android app recently?)

EDIT:

OH! I didn't realize that activity on it (e.g. getting a cast from one of my Android devices) would "wake" my TV. I may have to rethink this. My amp is often off, so maybe I'll get a sound bar for the TV this weekend....

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I ordered my Chromecast the day they announced it and has been plugged in and powered with the included charger. However I just heard the Chromecast I gave as a gift to my daughter's house is now broke and it was a lot newer than mine. She also left it powered up.

Xer0 WindKey

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered one, should be getting it this evening.

I read the whole thread, I am a bit worried about the Chromecast updating itself.

The one who will be using it is my sweet mother who has been watching youtube on a laptop, on her lap, in bed since she discovered it. Im giving her a CC as a gift, so she can enjoy it on her TV instead of the small laptops screen, now, I planned to plug in the CC to the TV on both HDMI and USB, I like the idea of it powering off with the TV automatically.

My mother is not tech savvy at all, but she can use things like Youtube, Facebook etc. so obviously she may turn the TV off without warning when she is done using it, does the CC really update itself at any time? Without the user knowing? Is there a way to set it to update only manually?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz