Do you think I should have waited?

AndroidNote3

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to the note 3 the other day from my s3 and I was just thinking should I have waited until the galaxy s5 was released? Its too late now but do you think I should be disappointed with the note 3?

I love the snapdragon 800 but im worried in 2 years it will be very out dated :(

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't know your current situation but on most carriers, you have 14 days to return or exchange a phone.

Well, you tell us. We bought the Note 3 cause we love it. Most, or all of us, are NOT disappointed with the N3....are you?

Any and ALL phones now and in the distant future will be outdated as soon as you buy it. Flagship phones lately have about a 1 year turn around....Like the S4....less than a year later they are going to release the S5! But you have to consider all the other models (such as the N3) that will be updated also in 2014....1 year or less later. What are the prospects that the N4 will have better specs than the S5? Pretty good. SO if you buy the S5 on release, 6 to 8 months later you'll see the Note 4 that will blow away the S5. At this point your banging your head....

What I'm saying is that be happy with the purchase you made and don't sweat it.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to the note 3 the other day from my s3 and I was just thinking should I have waited until the galaxy s5 was released?
The GNote3 and the GS4 are nothing alike. The GNote3 is a phablet with an Spen and the GS4 is great phone but not a phablet with an Spen. Also if you are on Verizon, the GS4 likely won't be out until 6 months from now.

I love the snapdragon 800 but im worried in 2 years it will be very out dated :(
yes, it will be, just like the GS4 will be very out dated 2 years from its release date.

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to the note 3 the other day from my s3 and I was just thinking should I have waited until the galaxy s5 was released? Its too late now but do you think I should be disappointed with the note 3?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The S5 is currently in the rumor stage. It likely won't be announced for a couple of months, released around a month after it's announced, and won't make it to the US until about a month after that. Assuming you're in the US, you likely won't be able to purchase the S5 until May or June at the very earliest. My guess is July. Are you willing to wait that long?

The Note 3 is only a few months old. As Gator already said, any flagship you buy will be replaced with a updated version in around a year. Don't get caught up in an endless cycle of waiting. Get what you like now and enjoy it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
2 years is a long time for android. Even Nexus devices are expected to get updates for 18 months. I certainly think that the note 3 would be functional in 2 years, but it wouldn't be a high end device by then. Think of the s3 or one x. They will be about 2 years old when the s5 comes out. They are still usable devices but, a bit dated.

" Android 4.4 (KitKat) FAQs

Is Google releasing Android 4.4 as a system update for Galaxy Nexus?

No, Galaxy Nexus phones won?t be receiving the update for Android 4.4 (KitKat).

Why isn?t Galaxy Nexus receiving the update to Android 4.4?

Galaxy Nexus, which first launched two years ago, falls outside of the 18-month update window when Google and others traditionally update devices."

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3468085

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Agree with the others, anything you get will be outdated within a month. If you like a device, use it and don't worry about it.

I love my Nexus 5 (on the charger after a long night), despite every reviewer singing the praises of the MotoX. I would not trade my Nexus 5 for anything else currently available.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Your Note 3 is arguably the best phone of 2013. You should be happy with all it can do and all you can do with it, IMO.

CM on OgPro

George Jenkinson

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
What you are trying to do is outguess the tech market and Samsung and project what you think you will need to a date in the future! Because Samsung have a rolling release programme for all of their phones, when the S5 is released you could easily end up asking yourself whether to wait for the next Note. And so you go on and on...

Is your S3 a problem because it is out of date? Do you know that you are trying to compare the S5 with the N3 which are quite markedly different in design.

Your best option, to avoid getting a headache trying to weigh the devices available now with devices that might be released, is to decide what you need today. If necessary, draw up a list of needs (not to be confused with wants) and see what best fits you. Proceed on that basis.

Depending on when you bought your phone, all of this might be irrelevant anyway if you can't return it now....

nettech207

May 23, 2012
Visit site
most carries in the us offer upgrade plans where you can upgrade your phone every 6 month to a year though. changeing phone everytime a new one comes out is kinda crazy you become a beta tester for the phone maker as every new phone has it's quirks

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not disappointed with the note but I can't tell you if you should be or not. If you realize you don't like the device then you should return it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Beantown Bashers

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
And Verizon has the Edge Plan.

I think the next plan and the edge plan are both insane.

That is of course my perspective because of how I use my devices and the cost.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
most carries in the us offer upgrade plans where you can upgrade your phone every 6 month to a year though. changeing phone everytime a new one comes out is kinda crazy you become a beta tester for the phone maker as every new phone has it's quirks

Tmobile jump is the only one that is reasonably priced at $10 a month. Combine it with the $0 down promotions that come up from time to time and the fact that it includes insurance and it is a really good deal. But Verizon Edge and att next are not financially beneficial to the consumer as they do not reduce the monthly bill.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

MissouriFarmer

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Your line of thinking leads to a bottomless pit. I know, I followed it for years.
When something as special as the GN3 comes along you have to savor it....
Yes, something better will come along next year. (although I can't imagine how it could get better!)
So it has a little faster processor, a little bigger screen, etc. Next years GN4 will not outshine the GN3 enough for me to be interested.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app