Do your custom notification tones keep reverting to default on Hangouts? This might be why.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had occasional issues with Hangouts using too much battery, which would only resolve if I cleared cache/data from the app. But then I'd notice that afterwards, my custom notification tones wouldn't play, and it would go back to the default Hangouts tone, even if I selected the custom tone in the settings. Then some time afterwards, maybe several days later, the custom tones would reappear.

Then I realized that due to the way permissions are done in Marshmallow and above, when I was clearing the app data, I was also resetting the app's permissions. One of those permissions is to access my media/photo files. Since I reset that permission, Hangouts could no longer access my custom tone file. What made me realize this is when I took a photo using Hangouts to send to someone, it then prompted me to grant permission to access media/photo files, and then right after that, the custom tones kicked in again.

Bottom line: If your custom tones are no longer playing, go to Settings>Apps, select the app, then Permissions, then make sure it has access to your Media files.