Does anyone have WIFI problem like I do on nexus 7?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Nexus 7 and tried to connect to my wifi but it is stuck on connecting screen and doesn't do anything. I just tried turning it on and off but it still won't connect to my wifi. should i send this back and get a new one?

WiFi was fast, flawless, and smooth. I streamed some extracted Blu-Ray quality video to it last night (very high bitrate) and there were a few stutters when I was connected to a repeater, but everything DVD quality worked great - especially when I was in range of my primary router.

Had the thing on continuously for 5 hours yesterday including about an hour and a half of streaming video over WiFi, used about half the battery charge, and the WiFi performed absolutely flawlessly.

Router: Linksys Wireless-N, running DD-WRT. Repeater was a Linksys WRT-series access point (802.11G) running DD-WRT using dual-band wireless repeat. I'm pretty sure the Wireless-N was in mixed mode. All of it encrypted with WPA2/AES.

njd23

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my 8gb N7 last night from Staples. Took it home and everything work great. I even used it this morning before work.

I come back home from work (it was charging while I was gone) and all of a sudden I can't connect to my wifi. It just says "Secured, secured with WEP".

Please help!

TYIA

njd23

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my 8gb N7 last night from Staples. Took it home and everything work great. I even used it this morning before work.

I come back home from work (it was charging while I was gone) and all of a sudden I can't connect to my wifi. It just says "Secured, secured with WEP".

Please help!

TYIA

I ended up restarting my router and that seems to have fixed the issue. Sorry for the false alarm.

mindbender9

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have to jump in on this thread also, because there are other threads going on about this topic.

Nexus 7 devices seem to be having issues with 802.11n on DD-WRT installs if you set it to "N-Only" on the 2.4GhZ radio. I am also having issues connecting to my router unless I set it to "NG-Only" - changing the encryption and/or removing ACL's does not make a difference.

The question here is whether or not this is a DD-WRT issue or a Jelly Bean issue. If users are unable to connect to "N-Only" enabled routers while other Android users (non-Nexus 7 devices) can connect, doesn't this put the spotlight on the operating system?

Any suggestions are appreciated. We need to resolve this somehow.

Thanks in advance.

slashy42

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how applicable it is here but I have had issues before with android devices and special characters in my WiFi passwords. Specifically the "|" character, aka bar. For some reason it did not get encoded properly.

Naschywolf

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I had some issues with wifi when I first purchased the device. It was fine after the initial set-up, and continued to be so all during its first usage. As soon as I tried the device after it having been turned off and charged, it connected to the same wireless network, but the icon in the upper corner was gray. Still reacting to wireless strength/requests, but not doing anything. Couldn't connect to the internet. The way I fixed it was to change the Nexus IP address from dynamic (default) to static. There seems to be a bug at the moment. If you're having problems maybe try this; it can't hurt:

Go to Settings >Wifi and click on your network. Click to forget it. Rescan and click on your network. Enter your information as you normally would, but click advanced before confirming and go down to IP Address. Change from DHCP to Static. Go to IP Address and change it to something like 192.168.1.9 (mine is 192.168.1.77 for example). Shouldn't have to change anything else. Just confirm and hopefully its rectified. Haven't had a problem since. As I said, it cant hurt to try.

mindbender9

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have to jump in on this thread also, because there are other threads going on about this topic.

Nexus 7 devices seem to be having issues with 802.11n on DD-WRT installs if you set it to "N-Only" on the 2.4GhZ radio. I am also having issues connecting to my router unless I set it to "NG-Only" - changing the encryption and/or removing ACL's does not make a difference.

The question here is whether or not this is a DD-WRT issue or a Jelly Bean issue. If users are unable to connect to "N-Only" enabled routers while other Android users (non-Nexus 7 devices) can connect, doesn't this put the spotlight on the operating system?

Any suggestions are appreciated. We need to resolve this somehow.

Ok. I figured out what was preventing my Nexus 7 from connecting to "N-Only" on DD-WRT.

I had "WMM Support" disabled in the Wireless -> WL0-Advanced section - this is located at the bottom in the "Wireless Multimedia Support Settings" section.

So while I try to disable a lot of things for security, this is required if you want to connect your Nexus 7 to "N-Only" setups in DD-WRT.

The speed/performance of the Nexus 7 is excellent when set to "N-Only" vs. a slower "NG-Mixed" setting. I hope this helps any other DD-WRT owners.

Cheers!

johmann

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm having intermittent problems with Wi-Fi. I frequently receive the message "authentication problem." Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The problem does not appear to be with the router as other devices are not having a problem with it. Nor does it appear to be the password as its programmed in and connects sometime and sometimes not.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had a single issue with the wifi. I had the last tablet on for 91hrs straight, no power cord, with wifi on the entire time.

mrgdr57

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Just a post to say thank you to everyone who has provided suggestions for N7 WiFi solutions. My first day out-of-the-box N7 experience was not a happy one - couldn't connect. After reading through this topic the following day, I disabled MAC addressing and set a specific channel on the router and BINGO! Perfect connectivity. Many, many thanks! :D

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Nexus 7 and tried to connect to my wifi but it is stuck on connecting screen and doesn't do anything. I just tried turning it on and off but it still won't connect to my wifi. should i send this back and get a new one?

Not with my Nexus, but I did have a problem with a Broadcomm chipset driver on a Thinkpad laptop once (in both Linux and Windows XP). I would happily connect to open WiFi networks, but my home WPA2/AES network would just cause a "connecting.." loop and it would eventually give up.

Turned out I had Linksys "Afterburner" (their attempt at increasing 802.11G speeds) turned on in the router, and it was interfering with the encryption of the authentication protocol.

If your router has any vendor-specific speed/performance improvements, I'd strongly urge you to turn them off for compatibility. Some devices work with them, some apparently do not.

In my case, it worked to my favor since my company got tired of my whinging about it and replaced the laptop with a newer and faster model (which also didn't work, hence my later discovery of the "afterburner" nonsense). But I did get to keep the newer machine.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Got four Nexus 7s in the family now. None of us have experienced any connectivity issues on literally dozens (hundreds?) of networks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MountainSufi

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I love my N7 except for zero reception at my hangouts: a pub and bagel shop. My reception at home is just fine. Since my old Mac Air only receives 802.11n, the N7 should connect elsewhere. It fails at this miserably.

I'm now drinking fine IPA at the pub and enjoying 5 bar reception on my laptop. The ONLY way I get reception on the N7 is to bring it to the managers office. Holding it through the door, a mere ten feet away from the router, I get ONLY 1-2 BARS!!!

My experience proves this is a software problem. Google and Asus screwed up on this one. We shouldn't have to dink around with adjusting settings on our home routers, and it's impossible to do this with open wifi spots outside the home.

Yes, I've taken the back off and adjusted the antenna contacts a bit up to get a stronger signal. It didn't work.

I called up Google Play, which is where I bought it, and was told nothing is wrong with the unit since it receives my home signal. I was told I could send it back on warranty, but if they determined nothing was wrong I be shipped a new one back and have to pay for it.

There must be tonz of folks with this problem. What a load of crap.

Last edited:

creeduk

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I had issues with the one I bought, it never connected to the router on every setting possible and every channel, similar with a friends unit. Also the first annoyance before even realizing connection was impossible was that my router was not showing as the strongest signal despite being in the same house maybe 10 feet away. All other devices show 5 bar

So I decided like you you cannot change settings on open wifi spots so a device or software that is so particular (wanting fixed IP or specific security or channel) is not much good (back it went maybe I will try again maybe not :(

I would love to know if it is a handful of defective units (saves wifi settings but never connects) or is it an issue with the software which hopefully will get resolved soon.

brokensyst3m

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I ended up with an authentication failed error when trying to connect at work after the 4.1.1 update. I reset back to factory and suddenly got authentication failed at home. I then rooted it which didn't help but then I decided to take out all of the symbols for the access points wpa2 personal passphrase and just like mysql it worked. I don't know all the "new password rules" but just try removing the symbols - because of this bug I wont be using the N7 at work - which is why I bought it. :mad: Hope this helps some one.

MountainSufi

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Here's fixed WiFi for me!!!!

My N7 is now connecting easily. Here's what happened...

N7s automatically connect to a WiFi network you're in when you turn them on the first time.. This led me to assume there'd be a no brainer option every time I was around a new network (& indeed a friend told me his Ice Cream device has the option of automatically connecting). Not Jelly Bean.

Switching over from Macs, I assumed all I had to do was touch or swipe the WiFi bar signal strength in the upper right corner to get a list of other networks to join. This doesn't work on the N7... I got a strong signal from my home WiFi (which is where I first turned on the N7), but later didn't get any other listings when I was in areas I KNEW had strong signals I could use. Yes, I read the 100 page "Nexus 7 Guide" on the device, but this was at home and I breezed thru the WiFi section because I knew everything was OK (so I thought); only later when out & about did I find it impossible to find a signal.

Turns out the N7 demands you go to Apps/Settings/Wi-Fi. This is MORE than an on/off switch. Tap it to get a list of WiFi options. BINGO!! I now love my N7, and it's got very good WiFi reception.

Was I dumb? Perhaps. But Google Play support missed telling me this on 3 calls for help. Why is the path to WiFi so convoluted? A techie friend told me it's got something to do with the Apple-Samsung lawsuit.

Happy Trails!