Does Google selling Motorola threaten the Nexus line?

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
With Google's sale of Motorola, does that perhaps point to its exiting hardware business and the Nexus line?
Truly hope this doesn't threaten Google's Nexus efforts.
If so I'll be taking a step I prefer not to take - - going to the new iPhone 6.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
With Google's sale of Motorola, does that perhaps point to its exiting hardware business and the Nexus line?

There are rumors of the Nexus line ending in favor of GPEs.

But that's just a rumor.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the samsung and google patent deal had something to do with this, especially now with the rumors that samsung is toning back touchwiz. I bet google was like we will sell moto if you tone it back and come back closer to android. With how many devices samsung sells, this is a smart move for google, especially with moto losing money every quarter where as samsung is making a killing.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the samsung and google patent deal had something to do with this, especially now with the rumors that samsung is toning back touchwiz. I bet google was like we will sell moto if you tone it back and come back closer to android. With how many devices samsung sells, this is a smart move for google, especially with moto losing money every quarter where as samsung is making a killing.

That's my gut feeling as well.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
With Motorola, Nexus was probably heading the way of hte DoDo. But in my opinion selling Moto gives Nexus a bit more hope to stay around for a while.

I really do not want to see the Nexus line go, but I guess only time will tell.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see the Nexus continue if only because it's one of the only phones that you can use on Sprint and other carriers, and Sprint (and Verizon) miss out on many of the Play Edition phones because of CDMA.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see the Nexus continue if only because it's one of the only phones that you can use on Sprint and other carriers, and Sprint (and Verizon) miss out on many of the Play Edition phones because of CDMA.

Who's to say expanding GPe doesn't lead to more CDMA (Sprint) support?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it will affect the Nexus products since LG makes the N4 & N5 phones and the Nexus tablets ASUS N7 and Samsung N10. Google needs the Nexus to roll out Android and shake out the bugs before the other mobility manufactures start their roll out. Apple only has one phone in plastic or metal case sure one has 64 bit CPU they designed. Their tablets are all the similar CPU that are in their phones that Apple designs. It is a lot easier for Apple to shake out ios bugs with their closed garden product line than it is for Google with about 40 mobility Android manufactures in a open product market that serves the ultra low cost to high cost Android devices.

The Nexus line getting the newest Android release benefits Samsung and other Android manufactures. Already one out of three smart phones sold is a Samsung so why would they be sweating Nexus as long as it isn't mainstream. Google has already said they have something in the works with Samsung in the near future. With over 80% of the smartphones in the world running Android the Nexus line has only helped keep the software rolling out faster and better to take the lead from the evil fruit company that is still making all the money.

Last edited:

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
When Google bought Motorola the story was that they were mainly after certain patents. And apparently they kept most of the important ones -- according to various reports I've read.

One reason for this sale is that Google will no longer appear to be a direct hardware competitor to its partners in the Android program. When they make a Nexus product they team up with a hardware manufacturer -- not actually make the product. So I'm optimistic about the future of the Nexus program.

I'm hoping that Lenovo will be willing to invest long-term and do something good (like selling unlocked phones at a competitive price) with Moto.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I hope not.

IMO the GPE devices while a very cool idea are NOT a replacement for the Nexus.

Reasons:
-the hardware of GPe devices was often designed without stock android in mind. Many don't have software buttons and for me that is important to the over all android experience.
-I like knowing that I own a device which is being targeted first for support by both google and software developers. Several google play edition devices will not provide the same single target for development as the Nexus devices have.
-I buy my phones unlocked and carrier free and the Nexus program has been a very good way to get great hardware while still remaining off contract and not killing my bank account.

My Nexus 5 is currently in transit and I hope that it will last me at least 2 years. But if after those 2 years are up there is no Nexus-like device (100% support from google in both hardware and software) then I will likely take a close look at my other mobile OS options. I have an iPad Air now. iOS is certainly not my preferred operating system but I could probably live with it on a phone if I had to...(Please Google don't let this happen!)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
-the hardware of GPe devices was often designed without stock android in mind. Many don't have software buttons and for me that is important to the over all android experience.
-I like knowing that I own a device which is being targeted first for support by both google and software developers. Several google play edition devices will not provide the same single target for development as the Nexus devices have.

But Android is open and everyone is free to do what they want with it.

And one could argue software developers don't target the latest version since that's not where the marketshare is.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
But Android is open and everyone is free to do what they want with it.

And one could argue software developers don't target the latest version since that's not where the marketshare is.

Appreciate this perspective though I believe fragmentation in the Android ecosystem is a real negative. Getting latest software is essential to me. Without it I will go elsewhere. The loss of one consumer may be no big deal but then it again it will be a loss.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I don't really think one has anything to do with the other. The Nexus line (made by several manufacturers) is a way for Google to get pure Android devices out there with good specs at reasonable prices. I don't see that changing. Motorola was not selling similar devices at equivalent prices. I think the sale happened for 2 reasons. 1.) Google wanted to maintain good relations with other manufacturers (especially Samsung) instead of competing with them. 2.) Google sold Motorola and 2000+ patents, but I am sure they retained the rights to use those patents freely. Rumors from some Russian blogger about the demise of the Nexus line are purely speculative at this time. And I would not be surprised if this recent sale was somehow related to recent agreements between Google and Samsung to keep the joint devices a little purer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate this perspective though I believe fragmentation in the Android ecosystem is a real negative. Getting latest software is essential to me. Without it I will go elsewhere. The loss of one consumer may be no big deal but then it again it will be a loss.

With an open system, fragmentation will always exist.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Google's Nexus smartphones is not a threat to Samsung sales. Shaking out bugs with the Nexus line even saves Samsung money. LG not Google makes the Nexus 5 and Samsung has made a Nexus phone in the past and could again in the future. Last year, one out of every three smartphones on the planet -- not just Android -- came from Samsung, and more than half of Samsung's revenue in 2013 came from its mobile devices. The vast majority of those products used Google's operating system.
Samsung shipped record 320M smartphones in 2013

Samsung captured 32.3 percent of the global smartphone market last year by shipping 319.8 million smartphones, more than twice the 15.5 percent market share held by No. 2 Apple during the same period. Apple grew a sluggish 13 percent annually and shipped 153.4 million smartphones worldwide for 15 percent market share in 2013, dipping from the 19 percent level recorded in 2012," Neil Mawston, an executive director at Strategy Analytics, said in a statement. "Apple remains strong in the high-end smartphone segment, but a lack of presence in the low-end category is costing it lost volumes in fast-growing emerging markets such as India."

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I love android and owned the galaxy nexus, nexus 4, and now the 5. If they ditch the nexus program I'm out. I can never go back to skins and late updates. Things are looking a bit gloomy right now. Only to.e will tell. But only around what like 5% of people use nexus phones so what does it matter. Haha

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
If the Nexus 5 can do it, a GPe could do it to.
It would need to be a phone manufactured to have both CDMA and GSM antenas, which I was surprised the N5 has. Most phones don't to save costs.

Untill I see one, I'll continue to be skeptical

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this is why Google sold Moto that lost over a billion but they made money off the Nexus.

Google Q4 2013 Earnings Driven By Play Store Sales, Chromecast and Nexus 5

Google has released their Q4 2013 earnings, coming up a little shy of expectations but still delivering huge profits due in part to Google Play Store sales, Chromecast and the Nexus 5. This marks the first time in Google’s history that the company’s revenue hasn’t been driven by advertising alone, with hardware and Android apps pulling in massive revenue.

As expected, Motorola did attribute to Google’s losses in Q4 2013. Moto’s losses for Q4 were $384 million. Total Motorola losses in 2013 add up to $1.113 billion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear