Does the fire phone support tethering?

Juan J Guevara

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I would like to know that if for an emergency I need a quick access to the internet, will I be able to use the fire phone as a hotspot?
I have an old Motorola Atrix, and that option save the day one time I needed to connect in my laptop and used my phone as a hotspot.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Android supports tethering via many different apps. (It's the operating system, not the hardware - as long as you have to communications channels - USB and wifi or wifi and mobile data, etc.) Whether your provider allows it, or will block a tethered connection, is another matter.

Juan J Guevara

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your answer. In the Atrix when I go to the wireless settings, I can select "Tethering & Mobile Hotspot". From there I did the hotspot thing.
I guess the phone came with that option loaded. I wanted to know if the Fire Phone has something like that.
If I understand correctly your reply, that will be the same as adding an app to the phone to do that. Is that correct?

lancorp

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The Fire Phone does (natively) have Wi-Fi Hotspot built into the OS. Assuming your carrier / plan allows it, then the phone definitely does.
Under SETTINGS / Wi-Fi & Networks there is "Setup a Wi-Fi Hotspot".

Mark Isherwood

May 1, 2015
Visit site
The Fire Phone does (natively) have Wi-Fi Hotspot built into the OS. Assuming your carrier / plan allows it, then the phone definitely does.
Under SETTINGS / Wi-Fi & Networks there is "Setup a Wi-Fi Hotspot".
Wi-Fi Hotspot is NOT the same as tethering.
Is there a tethering option. like the original question?
I can't seem to find a tethering option, only hotspot.