Does the Z3 Support Sprint? (Not natively but on LTE) (Z3 D6603) "Sony Store US Version"

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I just want to ask if the Z3 has support for Sprint. Most people say it's not supported, but I'm thinking that it means Sprint doesn't have a model for it or just doesn't have the Z3 at all (which they don't). The Z3 has support for LTE Band 2 (1900 mhz), right? If Sprint has support for LTE Band 2, shouldn't that mean that the Z3 is compatible with Sprint, but only on the LTE networks? Thank you if you can figure this out. Or tell me If I just made an answer without knowing. :confused:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does the Z3 Support Sprint? (Not natively but on LTE) (Z3 D6603) "Sony Store US Version"

Welcome to Android Central! The D6603 is not supported by Sprint or Verizon because it isn't a CDMA phone. Although Verizon is still rolling out its VoLTE network (voice over LTE, which doesn't need CDMA), most of its phones still require a CDMA radio for voice calls. See the specs in this Amazon listing: Amazon.com: SONY XPERIA Z3 D6603 LTE 16GB (FACTORY UNLOCKED) INTERNATIONAL MODEL- BLACK: Cell Phones & Accessories

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does the Z3 Support Sprint? (Not natively but on LTE) (Z3 D6603) "Sony Store US Version"

This means I'll have to wait for the VoLTE on Sprint? Also, thanks for the answer. Another thing, does this mean I can technically still use LTE on Sprint with its broadband capabilities (i.e. interwebz), but not on VoLTE?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I think you're right--you should be able to use 4G LTE data for internet connectivity. Just no voice calls. I suppose you could use Hangouts or some other VOIP app to make calls over mobile data.

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Honestly I don't think you will be able to activate the phone for whatever service you decide to use. If the ESN is not accepted into their database, they won't be able to activate it.

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

All of this clears up one everything, but since VoLTE is planned for Sprint, in the near future, it will be theoretically possible for the Z3 to work on Sprint's LTE service.

Last edited: