Don't take your Note 9 in water unless you take your Bluetooth stylus out!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From www.indysoftwater.com/2015/08/21/protect-what-you-have-effects-of-chlorinated-tap-water/

Your water heater, dish washer, and washing machine are all at risk when they use chlorinated water. Without chlorine removal, even your water softener can be damaged. That’s because chlorine oxidizes these appliances’ rubber parts, which makes them mushy and ruins their tight water seals. Rubber hoses and other fittings corrode because of chlorine, and can lead to leaks that cause other costly plumbing problems, along with machine malfunctions.

With some further digging, it seems the recommended levels for both drinking and pool water are the same. But how many times have we accidentally swallowed a little pool water and tasted the chlorine, or smelled it just by walking into a public pool area because they treat it heavily?

So unless the gaskets used are designed to withstand chemicals like that (doubtful), I wouldn't trust them long term even in tap water.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
A water softener company is going tell you all kinds of things to sell their product. My dishwasher is about 23 years and no leaks. I'm not not suggesting that chlorine has no long term effect and I don't recommend that anyone should dunk their phone. I just wouldn't concern myself highly if I accidentally got it a little wet with chlorinated water.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
From www.indysoftwater.com/2015/08/21/protect-what-you-have-effects-of-chlorinated-tap-water/

With some further digging, it seems the recommended levels for both drinking and pool water are the same. But how many times have we accidentally swallowed a little pool water and tasted the chlorine, or smelled it just by walking into a public pool area because they treat it heavily?

So unless the gaskets used are designed to withstand chemicals like that (doubtful), I wouldn't trust them long term even in tap water.
Who hasn't accidentally swallowed pool water or ocean water

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A water softener company is going tell you all kinds of things to sell their product. My dishwasher is about 23 years and no leaks. I'm not not suggesting that chlorine has no long term effect and I don't recommend that anyone should dunk their phone. I just wouldn't concern myself highly if I accidentally got it a little wet with chlorinated water.
I agree with you ..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That was just the first link that popped up, but the effect of chlorine on rubber is a known issue. The small amounts in pool water and municipal water (if applicable) may not cause a problem with occasional contact. That is, of course, it's regular rubber being used. Without knowing the exact material of the seals, we can only speculate their resistance to chemicals/contaminates.

But still, the thing that matters is the warranty. If they are willing to warranty against water damage, then we can assume the seals are designed for a multitude of variables, even if the phone has been dropped and risked dislodging the seal. Since they do not warranty against water damage, then it's not advisable to purposely dunk your phone in anything.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind - the second number in the IP rating is pressure, not depth or motion. IP68 is listed as 1.5 meters of water, but that actually means about 2.1 psi. So if you're swimming, moving the phone through the water, you're going to exceed that.

And if you take it into the bathroom when you take a shower, the IP rating doesn't matter - steam is a gas, and there's no gas resistance in the phone - it's not airtight. So the steam enters the phone, you leave the bathroom, the phone cools down ... and the water condenses inside the phone. (And due to the IP68 rating, it can't get out. So the phone starts to get damaged, Not as quickly as by chlorinated water or ocean water (or even tap water - some of the minerals in tap water form very weak - but working - etchants), but not as slowly as a dry phone.

Bottom line - if you're on the phone outdoors and it starts raining, don't panic. If you're going swimming, leave your phone at home. (Buy a cheap flip phone if you have to call someone to drive you home - if you lose a $10 piece of junk, it's not that bad. The SIM will fit with adapters, that are available for $1 for a complete set on eBay.) If you're taking a shower and want music, buy a shower radio - they're (supposedly) airtight.

But taking the phone into the shower or taking it swimming with you? If the phone were waterproof (the old Nextel 225 was) it would be guaranteed against water damage (which the Nextel was). You could also throw it full force to a concrete floor, The battery door would pop off, the battery would come out, but when you put them back together, the phone worked, (We used to do that in the store to demonstrate how tough the phone was. "Is it breakproof?" "I wouldn't drive a tank over it, but pretty much yes.") Even if you threw it, full-force, into a puddle 2 feet deep. They don't make industrial-strength cellphones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't take my device in the shower or the bathroom and don't recommend it, but just a clarification on the misconceptions of steam.

The steam you think youre seeing in a shower is actually evaporation which is caused by the temperature differential between the water and the air in the room and is actually water vapor or condensate.
With water vapor from a shower, the room and the device will still be equalized at atmospheric pressure so moisture realistically shouldn't enter the device. It's not high pressurized steam which requires 212 degrees to create and requires containment to actually build up a significant amount of pressure. When water turns into steam it's actually invisible....if you can see it, it's water vapor.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Currently the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is taking Samsung to court over "alleging it made false, misleading and deceptive representations in advertising the water resistance of various ‘Galaxy’ branded mobile phones."

In short, the advertising showed Samsung phones being used in wet environments that Samsung would later deny warranty claims when the phone encountered such situations.

Phones subject to the ACCC’s case are the S10e, S10, S10 Plus, S9, S9 Plus, S8, S8 Plus, S7, S7 Edge, Note 9, Note 8, Note 7, A8, A7, and A5, manufactured between 2016 and 2019.
Link to full media release below.

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...leading-phone-water-resistance-advertisements
There's a whole thread discussing that topic.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Keep in mind - the second number in the IP rating is pressure, not depth or motion. IP68 is listed as 1.5 meters of water, but that actually means about 2.1 psi. So if you're swimming, moving the phone through the water, you're going to exceed that.

And if you take it into the bathroom when you take a shower, the IP rating doesn't matter - steam is a gas, and there's no gas resistance in the phone - it's not airtight. So the steam enters the phone, you leave the bathroom, the phone cools down ... and the water condenses inside the phone. (And due to the IP68 rating, it can't get out. So the phone starts to get damaged, Not as quickly as by chlorinated water or ocean water (or even tap water - some of the minerals in tap water form very weak - but working - etchants), but not as slowly as a dry phone.

Bottom line - if you're on the phone outdoors and it starts raining, don't panic. If you're going swimming, leave your phone at home. (Buy a cheap flip phone if you have to call someone to drive you home - if you lose a $10 piece of junk, it's not that bad. The SIM will fit with adapters, that are available for $1 for a complete set on eBay.) If you're taking a shower and want music, buy a shower radio - they're (supposedly) airtight.

But taking the phone into the shower or taking it swimming with you? If the phone were waterproof (the old Nextel 225 was) it would be guaranteed against water damage (which the Nextel was). You could also throw it full force to a concrete floor, The battery door would pop off, the battery would come out, but when you put them back together, the phone worked, (We used to do that in the store to demonstrate how tough the phone was. "Is it breakproof?" "I wouldn't drive a tank over it, but pretty much yes.") Even if you threw it, full-force, into a puddle 2 feet deep. They don't make industrial-strength cellphones.

^^^ What he said ^^^^

IP68 and IP67 phones will be fine in the rain. In the pool or ocean? Maybe, but don’t risk it.

But the Note 9 is water resistant to IP68 with the S Pen still inside as far as I’m aware.

AirMech74

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had my Note 9 in my pocket and jumped in the pool...immediately realized it was still in my pocket, took it out, set it out to let it dry...no issues with the phone or the pen....it was completely submerged....but was only in the water maybe 30 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunarmoon0320