Dreaded green flicker on right side of screen

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Indeed! I get almost 2 full days per charge. Yesterday I pulled my P5 off the wireless charger at 08:00 and had 63% left at 02:00 when I retired for the night. Just one of the reasons I will give up this phone when they pry if from my cold dead fingers :)

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
So my pixel 7 Pro started to flicker today. When you press the power button to shut the phone off, or when the phone just turns the screen off to go to sleep, there's a green flash of light that flickers on the right side of the screen. I went online and didn't know that this is a known issue with this phone. There were lots of posts about it on the Google website. I called Google and they're sending me a replacement. They said that they are aware of this issue. But it sucks because they're going to send a refurbished unit. Is anyone else having this problem? They're thinking it's hardware related.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app
Wow. Yep. Same thing on mine. Started happening last night. I chatted with Google today and I'm getting it warranty replaced.
ac5dfb6fb6224e70599cc78e1e720310.jpg

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm going to. When I woke up this morning the flickering was gone, but it showed up again this afternoon. Better to be safe. I'm just hoping there's nothing wrong with the refurbished unit!

It seems like it shows up when the phone heats up or when the screen brightness is high or when it's charging.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Me too. I'm a little bummed that it's a refurbished phone that they are replacing it with.

So I got my pixel replacement today and I'm setting up and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The screen brightness on the replacement unit is much lower than on my original. So I have both phones at 60% and the replacement phone is way dimmer than the 60% on my old phone. Can displays vary that much?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
So I got my pixel replacement today and I'm setting up and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The screen brightness on the replacement unit is much lower than on my original. So I have both phones at 60% and the replacement phone is way dimmer than the 60% on my old phone. Can displays vary that much?

Maybe the phones with the brighter screens are the ones having the issues? There shouldn't be that much of a variation between screens, that's a quality control issue, but maybe the dimmer screen could be a good sign.. it might mean you don't have to worry about that happening again ;)

As long as the screens still bright enough to do the job for you :D

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the phones with the brighter screens are the ones having the issues? There shouldn't be that much of a variation between screens, that's a quality control issue, but maybe the dimmer screen could be a good sign.. it might mean you don't have to worry about that happening again ;)

As long as the screens still bright enough to do the job for you :D
I'm getting used to it lol. Also, does the adaptive battery have to learn your habits all over again on a new phone? I'm assuming it does and it can't copy data from an old phone. Cuz my battery life right now is terrible on this new unit!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm getting used to it lol. Also, does the adaptive battery have to learn your habits all over again on a new phone? I'm assuming it does and it can't copy data from an old phone. Cuz my battery life right now is terrible on this new unit!

Yep when it's factory reset the adaptive battery and adaptive brightness have to relearn your usage patterns. That also might be why the screen was dimmer on the replacement phone....I believe adaptive brightness is on by default, so you might need to adjust the brightness of the new phone under different lighting conditions until it learns your preferences.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Yep when it's factory reset the adaptive battery and adaptive brightness have to relearn your usage patterns. That also might be why the screen was dimmer on the replacement phone....I believe adaptive brightness is on by default, so you might need to adjust the brightness of the new phone under different lighting conditions until it learns your preferences.
Yeah I was doing manual tests. I had both sliders set to 65%. But the 65% on the original phone I had was way brighter than the 65% on the replacement model.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I was doing manual tests. I had both sliders set to 65%. But the 65% on the original phone I had was way brighter than the 65% on the replacement model.

I noticed that you are getting another replacement because of speaker issues... that's the drawback of refurbished phones, they were returned by someone for a reason, oftentimes that's because there was something about the phone they didn't like, like the sound or brightness :-\ But sometimes someone just returns a perfect phone because they changed their minds. I hope you get one of those next, and not get stuck in the revolving door of refurbished phones :eek:

Keep us updated ;)

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that you are getting another replacement because of speaker issues... that's the drawback of refurbished phones, they were returned by someone for a reason, oftentimes that's because there was something about the phone they didn't like, like the sound or brightness :-\ But sometimes someone just returns a perfect phone because they changed their minds. I hope you get one of those next, and not get stuck in the revolving door of refurbished phones :eek:

Keep us updated ;)
My fingers are crossed!! I originally returned the first phone because I got that green flicker on the screen. That's what started this whole thing lol

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Just found this article. Check the comments underneath it. Seems to be a big widespread issue. And replacement phones are having the same issues. I'm not sure if at some point we're able to just return the phone for a refund. I'm not sure that's possible if we bought the phone from Google. I had read in the comments of a video on YouTube of someone who bought it from Verizon being able to return it and go back to the previous phone they had.

https://piunikaweb.com/2023/02/03/google-pixel-7-7-pro-screen-flickering-issue-troubles-users/

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not feeling optimistic nor happy about this. I've truly enjoyed using this phone and had planned on keeping it for a long time. I'm not sure what I'll do with the replacement. I could sell it on Swappa, but not with a good conscience knowing what I now know. I'm going to be really upset if this starts happening to my replacement when I'm on vacation in June because that's the main reason I bought this phone.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the replacement yet.

I may end up trading it in to Verizon for the S23 ultra as much as I love this phone and don't want to return to Samsung. I need a reliable phone that takes great pictures and videos.

I did read that the screen issue shows up when the phone gets hotter so it seems like it doesn't perform well if you're in your car and charging it and using it at full brightness, which is what I have done almost every day.

So this doesn't give me confidence in using it in the Dominican Republic in June in the middle of summer.

I was even toying with the idea of going to an iphone for 6 months to a year and I almost would if my Galaxy watch 5 was compatible with iOS.

I only owe a little more than $200 on my 7 Pro so I can pay it off and trade it in to Verizon and pay $11/month for the S23 ultra 512 gb. I'm about 75% certain that is what I'm going to do.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Granted, I haven't personally experienced this problem, but I would still suspect that this is only a very sporadic issue, and the chances of lightning striking twice for you is low. The article you linked is from a fairly obscure site (I've seen them before, but they're certainly not one of the bigger news sites like The Verge, Ars Technica, PhoneArena, etc.), and I wouldn't necessarily equate a number of threads in Reddit and the Google Help Communities to a widespread epidemic of screen failures.

Maybe I'll eat my words later if this proves to be truly more widespread, but this is always the challenge with these kinds of issues. For virtually any phone, you can find articles about a problem that at least some users have had. Here's one about a very similar issue on the S20: https://www.phonearena.com/news/samsung-galaxy-screens-green-flicker-issue_id133605. Did that pan out to be a major issue for that phone? I can't recall it becoming a brouhaha, so I'm guessing it didn't.

Regarding usage in a car -- that can definitely be detrimental to any phone if you have it mounted on the dashboard in direct sunlight while charging and doing something processor intensive, like navigating. Most phones will heat up significantly in that situation, and the high heat can certainly contribute to potential component damage. If you're going to use the phone in the car for extended periods, I would recommend using it in an AC vent with the AC blowing cool or cold.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Granted, I haven't personally experienced this problem, but I would still suspect that this is only a very sporadic issue, and the chances of lightning striking twice for you is low. The article you linked is from a fairly obscure site (I've seen them before, but they're certainly not one of the bigger news sites like The Verge, Ars Technica, PhoneArena, etc.), and I wouldn't necessarily equate a number of threads in Reddit and the Google Help Communities to a widespread epidemic of screen failures.

Maybe I'll eat my words later if this proves to be truly more widespread, but this is always the challenge with these kinds of issues. For virtually any phone, you can find articles about a problem that at least some users have had. Here's one about a very similar issue on the S20: https://www.phonearena.com/news/samsung-galaxy-screens-green-flicker-issue_id133605. Did that pan out to be a major issue for that phone? I can't recall it becoming a brouhaha, so I'm guessing it didn't.

Regarding usage in a car -- that can definitely be detrimental to any phone if you have it mounted on the dashboard in direct sunlight while charging and doing something processor intensive, like navigating. Most phones will heat up significantly in that situation, and the high heat can certainly contribute to potential component damage. If you're going to use the phone in the car for extended periods, I would recommend using it in an AC vent with the AC blowing cool or cold.
Thanks for the insight. I really don't want to get rid of this phone but I also don't want it to crap out when I'm on vacation from overheating. I go back and forth on whether I want to keep the pixel 7 Pro or traded in. At this point I think I'm leaning towards keeping it and giving it another shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance