Driving Mode

Patrick Satta

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
So, I just switched to Android from Windows Phone after being a very happy Windows user for a decade. Something I'm used to just working is Cortana's Driving Mode. It would automatically start when my phone paired to the Bluetooth in my car & it would announce all calls & text messages and allow me to respond to texts with voice dictation. These announcements would automatically pause whatever audio I had coming from my phone, or present itself as a "phone call" and Ford Sync would interrupt radio to allow the announcement to be made. All other notifications would be silenced. I could say Hey Cortana whenever & ask it to do whatever I wanted it to. It worked & it worked well.
Since switching to Android a month ago, I have been frustrated beyond words. I've used Android Auto, Car Dashdroid, & Drivemode apps. It's all trash. While driving, my phone constantly locks up & doesn't notify me when I get texts. It just goes crazy. I don't need or want a driving interface. I don't want anything to draw over the screen, & I don't want there to be tons of complicated options. Cortana for Android doesn't have near the functionality that it's Windows 10 Mobile counterpart has, so that's not an option. I just want something similar to what I'm used to. Something that works without being intrusive or slowing my phone down. Can someone help me please?

Signed,
A frustrated Android user that misses his Windows Phone

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? It's odd that Android Auto is problematic -- it's been very smooth and helpful for me. When I get a text message (or a Hangouts message), I see a very prominent notification appear, with a big fat Play button to tap. Music then pauses while the system reads the message, and then asks me if I want to reply. It's possible that some other app you're using is interfering with Android Auto's function (especially since it sounds like something might be causing a Screen Overlay).

If you don't want to use any kind of driving mode or app, you can always say "Ok Google, show me my last messages." You'll be prompted to have them read to you if you want, and then you'll have the option to respond.

What you describe is a fairly common complaint from users who have used Windows Phone, so you're not alone. Hopefully, the many strengths of Android will help compensate!

jasqid

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Hands down, windows phone had the whole auto texting and cortana thing down. That was single handedly the reason why stayed in the system so long because of my commuting.

Patrick Satta

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? It's odd that Android Auto is problematic -- it's been very smooth and helpful for me. When I get a text message (or a Hangouts message), I see a very prominent notification appear, with a big fat Play button to tap. Music then pauses while the system reads the message, and then asks me if I want to reply. It's possible that some other app you're using is interfering with Android Auto's function (especially since it sounds like something might be causing a Screen Overlay).

If you don't want to use any kind of driving mode or app, you can always say "Ok Google, show me my last messages." You'll be prompted to have them read to you if you want, and then you'll have the option to respond.

What you describe is a fairly common complaint from users who have used Windows Phone, so you're not alone. Hopefully, the many strengths of Android will help compensate!
I have the LG V30

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that some app you installed is contributing to the instability. Are you using Microsoft Launcher, or any other 3rd party launcher? Any "RAM cleaner" or battery-saver apps installed?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've seen other complaints about Microsoft Launcher causing performance issues, so it's possible it's also causing the other bugs. Try switching back to the stock launcher, or use another launcher like Nova.

Vertego

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
So far, in my limited experience with Android, this may be a common complaint from previous Windows Phone/Windows Mobile users. But with good reason. The Android experience doesn't come close.

My phone stays in my pocket always while driving. Absolutely no visual or physical interaction. The Cortana on Windows perpetuated that. It would announce text messages, offer to read/ignore/reply etc. Cortana on Android doesn't come close, and so far as I know nor does any alternative (please correct me if I'm wrong).

As MS seem to be continually developing their Android presence they will bring Cortana up to where it has been on Windows phones.