DROID 2.1 Update thread.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Directions for getting the update: (Exclusive!)
You will need a compass application and ensure that your droid is properly calibrated. (draw a figure 14 with it sideways)

Be sure to have your droid plugged in (as *they* can tell).

Point your droid to 10 degrees west of due north (based on your compass).
More specifically - point the "hole" at the top of your droid in that direction. (Most people think that it is for Headphones, but they are only slightly right. Data Input for large amounts of data must pass thru this port).

If you hold your droid in this position for an hour *WITHOUT* touching it, an update.zip file should show up in your sdcard under the downloads directory, and soon after your droid will reboot.

The update does change the color of your droid though, so if you don't like blue, I wouldn't allow it or you will be disapointed.

If you have any questions, be sure to contact your Local Verizon Rep (after the hour is up, of course), and let them know that these directions did NOT work for you. Maybe they will update them at that point.

Hi-la-ri-ous!

ebruot

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Hope I'm not getting off topic -- but I probably wont be going back to stock until the lovely folks @ droidmod update their rom. Not much to gain here for me really.

Anyone have any thoughts/guesses as to how long it'll take them to update their rom? I can't imagine it'll take too long considering there are other 2.1 roms out there already.

Thanks!

The google map wallpaper came with the last google map update, it is already available to you now since your rooted. It's one of the live wallpapers.:)

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Hope I'm not getting off topic -- but I probably wont be going back to stock until the lovely folks @ droidmod update their rom. Not much to gain here for me really.

Anyone have any thoughts/guesses as to how long it'll take them to update their rom? I can't imagine it'll take too long considering there are other 2.1 roms out there already.

Thanks!

keep in mind the 2.1 roms out now are ports from the N1. To my knowledge, the official Droid ESE81 2.1 rom has not been rooted yet. I'm sure it will happen soon. That way, the roms can be officially compatible with the droid, plus all of the nifty features rooting has to offer. When 2.0.1 got rooted, we were still using 2.0.1, we could just now overclock, make it look different, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about being off topic, the last 2.1 findings thread was 72 pages of off-topic magic.

R

Roy Aguilera

If you didn't you wouldn't have felt the need to post the pic.....:eek:

The pics were to help stop this thread from turning into what the last 2 turned into, not create credibility. I don't need e-cred. This is a passtime not a job.

R

Roy Aguilera

it doesn't matter whose phone the pic was taken of. If DA posts it, chances are it's legit. I've never felt any need to question him.

Thanks.
Point is its out.
You guys need it cause you want to stay stock. Us root users want it cause it has the radio file that has been updated. So we all win in the longrun.

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
keep in mind the 2.1 roms out now are ports from the N1. To my knowledge, the official Droid ESE81 2.1 rom has not been rooted yet. I'm sure it will happen soon. That way, the roms can be officially compatible with the droid, plus all of the nifty features rooting has to offer. When 2.0.1 got rooted, we were still using 2.0.1, we could just now overclock, make it look different, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about being off topic, the last 2.1 findings thread was 72 pages of off-topic magic.

I thought most of the 2.1 roms as of are ports of ESE53 which was supposed to be the official update until ESE81 showed up today.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
could be, i dunno. doesn't really matter. the important thing, is that with an official 2.1 droid release, future 2.1 cooked roms will be more awesome after it's rooted.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I have update questions:

1. How long does the update process take for an OTA update?
  2. How long does the update take if you get the update.zip file?
  3. How do you load the update if you get the update.zip file instead of going the OTA route?

Trying to get an idea of how it all works. I'm used to the Blackberry OS updates, if that helps as a point of comparison.

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Let's hope this update goes better than the Modern Warfare 2 stimulus pack went today.

I almost took the day off for that, now I'm glad I didn't. Leaving work in 15min -- hoping it's fixed by the time I get home.

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Alright, I have update questions:

1. How long does the update process take for an OTA update?
  2. How long does the update take if you get the update.zip file?
  3. How do you load the update if you get the update.zip file instead of going the OTA route?

Trying to get an idea of how it all works. I'm used to the Blackberry OS updates, if that helps as a point of comparison.

Last OTA I got sick of waiting and downloaded the update.zip on day two.

The only real difference in the process of OTA versus downloaded update is that the OTA would download it and put it in the right directory for you. Everything else is essentially the same.

The update process wont be any longer/shorter (except for not having to download the update.zip).

regardless of how you acquire your update.zip, you place it in the root of your sdcard, reboot into recovery mode and select "install from update.zip" or some such entry, let it do it's thing, and you're done.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Last OTA I got sick of waiting and downloaded the update.zip on day two.

The only real difference in the process of OTA versus downloaded update is that the OTA would download it and put it in the right directory for you. Everything else is essentially the same.

The update process wont be any longer/shorter (except for not having to download the update.zip).

regardless of how you acquire your update.zip, you place it in the root of your sdcard, reboot into recovery mode and select "install from update.zip" or some such entry, let it do it's thing, and you're done.

Good to know, thanks! Now, who's got the update.zip file?

icyblu07

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Clarifies Android 2.1 Update for Droid

posted Mar 18, 2010, 4:27 PM by Eric M. Zeman

In response to reports that Verizon Wireless had suddenly delayed its planned roll-out of the Android 2.1 update for the Motorola Droid, Verizon reached out to Phone Scoop. Spokesperson Thomas Pica said in an email, "The Android 2.1 upgrade for the Droid by Motorola was deployed to a small number of Verizon Wireless test users as scheduled. It is expected the broader phased rollout to all Droid by Motorola users will take place, but not just yet. No date scheduled yet." This message is essentially the same as the one provided yesterday by Verizon Wireless. Users should not expect their devices to update today or at any time during the next several days.

from Verizon Wireless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones