droid died yesterday

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
So, I was playing com2us's homerun 3d when my phone went suddenly black. It made a fizzling sound when it died, but I just thought my battery died. Several battery pulls and the phone connected to the wall charger later, I tried to reset the phone without success. I called Verizon and was informed to trade my less than 2-month old phone for a "new" one. I go to the Verizon store and receive Droid "certified like-new" phone #1. #1 had a severely raised space between the keyboard and touch screen and dust all around the screen and under it. So I trade "certified like-new" #1 for #2 "certified like-new." This one looked good but I later find the bracket on the bottom right that is part of the sliding mechanism is raised causing a really annoying clicking noise each time I pressed in that area. I go to the Verizon store the following day and spoke with a manager. I told him my issue with "certified like-new" phone #2 and he tells me it is normal to have some give between the screen and keyboard. I agreed with that point and reminded him the clicking does not seem normal. He shows me his non-certified like-new Droid pointing out the give. I then show him that on his phone that it does not click when you touch the screen like my "certified like-new" phone #2. He follows this demonstration by stating I will need a warranty phone replacement and they do not carry warranty replacement phones at his store. Hmmm, I was thinking wow, this is where I just got "certified like-new" phones #1 and #2. I could not believe this guy, even a manager, just lied to my face. He also tried to inform me that the "certified like-new" are new phones and not formerly used, busted ass Droids. I proceed to ask then why "certified like-new" phone #1 had dust under and around the screen and dust all over the ear piece screen or why "certified like-new" phones #1 & #2 have elevated screens and click to touch. Plus, I asked why do you have to call them "certified like-new" if they are new Droids that were not previously used. He had no answers other repeating they are new phones. So, I finally get "certified like-new" phone #3 that is in good shape with some very minor wear on the rubber back, which is surprising for a new phone.

Moral of the story is you should closely look at the phone they give you as a replacement and any talk of a "certified like-new" phone being a brand new phone fresh off the assembly line is complete BS. Why not be honest and say they are refurbrished phones hence the "certified like-new" title.

Plus, the serial number appears to list "certified like-new" phone with a letter b at one point where my original phone had a letter d. I can only assume my 4th generation phone was replaced with a fixed 2nd generation phone.

I also think homerun 3d challenge or whatever it is called overheated my phone as it was really warm when it died. Anyone have a similar problem?

DeeMat

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
alright, I cant read such a long post. based on the thread title, I will hold a moment of silence for you robot.

ancient_dragon

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
That sucks about the phone, and the fact you had to go through so many "like new" phones after the first one died. Def not sounding like a customer service experience I would like to have.

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Now my like new phone has been averaging 2-3 battery pulls a week, randomly shuts down or restarts, and the screens locks frequently when I am on my browser. I actually have less apps now than on my first phone. I hope it not time for like new phone #4. This is getting ridiculous.

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I actually have gotten good customer service from Verizon. I have been with Sprint and Att and had a horrible experience with both. It just sucks that Verizon (at least this manager at this local store) tried to state certified like new phones are new. And now I am having issues that I never had with my first, non certified like new phone.

My browser randomly closes when loading a page or the screen goes black as the phone has rebooted.

The worst is the phone will randomly just reboot with no apparently running.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

jerzaudi

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Insurance Replacement

Received a replacement phone from the insurance company this afternoon and the screen is without a doubt recessed into the bezel(not flat). The keyboard is convex, being more pronounced in the middle and recessed around the edges of the keyboard and there are also four noticeable backlights at the bottom portion of the screen.

Taking it to a retail store in the morning.

G

GenericMessage

I have also had issues with VZW "replacements"

These replacement phones (YES! EVEN WITH INSURANCE!) will be refurbs.

Best-Buy's insurance gives you new ones.

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I've always had pretty good customer service with VZW

I actually have gotten good customer service from Verizon.

i must just have terrible CS reps where i'm at. but i'm glad to hear that its not a company wide thing.

GenericMessage: how does best buy's insurance work? I'm going out there tomorrow to finally pick up my droid, and i'm curious if thats worth buying over the VZW insurance i'm paying for now

G

GenericMessage

i must just have terrible CS reps where i'm at. but i'm glad to hear that its not a company wide thing.

GenericMessage: how does best buy's insurance work? I'm going out there tomorrow to finally pick up my droid, and i'm curious if thats worth buying over the VZW insurance i'm paying for now

Its WAY better than VZW's, I LOVE IT!

$10/mo

You get coverage from everything minus theft, and COMPLETE submersion is water, but if you spill water on it, its okay.

So if I drop it, it shatters, boom, brand new Droid.
And if the droid is "obsolete" and no-longer in store when you come to replace it with a new one in the event yours breaks, you get the new one! (droid 2 or whatever)

Its nice having peace of mind that if my phone breaks i'll get a brand new one same day.

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site

$10/mo

You get coverage from everything minus theft, and COMPLETE submersion is water, but if you spill water on it, its okay.

And if the droid is "obsolete" and no-longer in store when you come to replace it with a new one in the event yours breaks, you get the new one! (droid 2 or whatever)

Its nice having peace of mind that if my phone breaks i'll get a brand new one same day.

Ugh..makes me wish I bought mine from Best Buy..although my insurance isn't too bad, I'd like the replacement with the updated device alot! lol

G

GenericMessage

Ugh..makes me wish I bought mine from Best Buy..although my insurance isn't too bad, I'd like the replacement with the updated device alot! lol

The problem with VZW insurance is you have to pay a deductible, and you'll get a refurb, and not a brand new device.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
Now my like new phone has been averaging 2-3 battery pulls a week, randomly shuts down or restarts, and the screens locks frequently when I am on my browser. I actually have less apps now than on my first phone. I hope it not time for like new phone #4. This is getting ridiculous.

FYI, you should never do battery pulls on an android devise unless there is no other alternative. IE, cannot power cycle the devise because your screen wont wake up.) Always safer to set phone down and wait a few to see if the system recovers itself first.

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

$10/mo

This isn't true at the Best Buy I got mine from at least. You have to bring it back 3 times for them to give you a new phone, and every time before that they ship it away somewhere out of the company to try to get it fixed. They told me it might take a couple weeks to get it back. I'd be leery of getting the Best Buy one over the Verizon one.

Have you actually had to return your phone there Generic or is that just what they told you there? If you have returned it and got a new one I wish my BB was like that, but unfortunately they aren't.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
FYI, you should never do battery pulls on an android devise unless there is no other alternative. IE, cannot power cycle the devise because your screen wont wake up.) Always safer to set phone down and wait a few to see if the system recovers itself first.

+1 on this, that might be part of your problem. To the OP: are you familiar with how to reset without pulling the battery? Open keypad and press cont-alt-delete at the same time. (note: control is the arrow button to the left of the Z)

If you're overheating a lot, I might suggest an app called "TempMonitor". It'll give you temp readings on the battery AND the CPU.

I'm rooted and overclocked (don't know if you are)... anyhow, I like that if I am running a little hot, the app tells me. Then I can kill some apps or just put the phone down for a minute (gasp) to avoid damaging it.

check out that app, might help.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Wow that was a very long story... Well I was thinking about getting the homerun game, but now I think I will pass on that one!

Yeah they only have refurbished phones at the store. I once got a replacement phone (before my Droid) that what a bubble under the screen and the 8 key didn't work so well.. But the ppl at the VZW store by my house are great and they gave me a brand new phone. and I didn't even have to start yelling.. That sucks that you had to go through all that, and its even stupider that they also increase the insurance from $5.99 to $7.99 and even with that you don't get a new phone if needed!

G

GenericMessage

This isn't true at the Best Buy I got mine from at least. You have to bring it back 3 times for them to give you a new phone, and every time before that they ship it away somewhere out of the company to try to get it fixed. They told me it might take a couple weeks to get it back. I'd be leery of getting the Best Buy one over the Verizon one.

Have you actually had to return your phone there Generic or is that just what they told you there? If you have returned it and got a new one I wish my BB was like that, but unfortunately they aren't.

I actually have had to make a warranty claim.

If the droid is crushed or destroyed, you cannot repair it, therefore they replace it out of the box right then and there.

So if you break it just a little...............just go the full monty and obliterate it. Not like they'll know. Its best buy, not forensic experts