Droid or N1

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I got the Nexus One last Friday and love it so far. BUT, T-mobile's service is sorta iffy in my area (despite what their maps say) so I'm considering going to a Droid. If Verizon's Nexus One comes out next week I would definitely return my T-mo version to get the VZW one, but I still am apprehensive about Google's approach to the whole thing.

So here's my question: Which one would you go with, all things considered?

My overall concerns with the N1 are these:
1) Long term reliability/build quality seems iffy, especially next to the tank-like Droid
2) There have been lots of horror stories, and Google's no-store sales model has me concerned if I DO have problems
3) Even though it has Snapdragon, it doesn't FEEL as fast as it should be
4) Requires a separate 16gb microSD card purchase that the Droid comes with, even though the Droid is $50 cheaper at Best Buy

I have some concerns with the Droid, mainly software related. I really like the Nexus One's updated launcher, and some of its other UI touches, most of which won't make the jump to the Droid's 2.1, but since the update just rolled out it isn't completely clear what's being transferred and what isn't. The Droid is also less organically designed, which makes it a bit more uncomfortable.

So what would you do?

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Wait and see what the EVO has to offer. Now is not the time to swap cell phones, wait 'till summer. Possibly a newer Palm Pre, EVO and several other Android Handsets, new iphone. Wait!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wait and see what the EVO has to offer. Now is not the time to swap cell phones, wait 'till summer. Possibly a newer Palm Pre, EVO and several other Android Handsets, new iphone. Wait!

That's the problem. I JUST switched. Whatever I have now I will have for as long as the contract (or as close to the full contract as possible)

I briefly considered getting a Palm Pre Plus on a 1 year contract, but Palm might not be around for another year.

I'm just really frustrated by t-mo's spotty coverage, and I have to decide by early next week whether to stick with it.

(one other question: does HTC have to have the phone in their hands at the end of the 14 days, or do I just have to have the RMA by then?)

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Well
1. My Nexus feels sturdy, no issue or problems.
2. Haven't had to call, see 1.
3. Agreed, but still quicker than most phones.
4. This is crazy, upset me a little too.

Do what makes you happy. The Droids not a bad phone, I wish I had one for the physical keyboard. I don't think you'll be missing anything even if the Nexus 1 shows up on Verizon. Instead of asking here just go to Verizon and see if you could live with the Droid form factor and decide from there. Your real question is how long 'till the Nexus 1 will arrive on VZ and don't think anyone can answer that question, could be a week, could be a month. What about a Nexus on ATT?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Well
1. My Nexus feels sturdy, no issue or problems.
2. Haven't had to call, see 1.
3. Agreed, but still quicker than most phones.
4. This is crazy, upset me a little too.

Do what makes you happy. The Droids not a bad phone, I wish I had one for the physical keyboard. I don't think you'll be missing anything even if the Nexus 1 shows up on Verizon. Instead of asking here just go to Verizon and see if you could live with the Droid form factor and decide from there. Your real question is how long 'till the Nexus 1 will arrive on VZ and don't think anyone can answer that question, could be a week, could be a month. What about a Nexus on ATT?
Just left ATT and their coverage in my area was pretty bad.

Basically, I think I'm going to stick with the N1 on T-mobile unless Google and Verizon announce their N1 for sale next week. If they do, I'll switch.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Go play with a Droid for a while and if you think it works for you then switch. who knows when the N1 is coming and besides it's exactly the same phone with a diff radio so you already know what it would be like except maybe reception and battery life...

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Go play with a Droid for a while and if you think it works for you then switch. who knows when the N1 is coming and besides it's exactly the same phone with a diff radio so you already know what it would be like except maybe reception and battery life...

That's what I want. I can live with the N1's faults if it has VZW's great coverage.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Give it till Tuesday if you can. It was pointed out in another thread that the TMo and Att versions launched on Tuesdays....

That's pretty much my only option. If it doesn't get released, no big loss and I'll stick with the T-mo version. If it does, I'll jump ship and be no more worse for the wear.

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I would say network coverage is more important than handset. Afterall, if you have no network, what good is either phone?? :) So if you're really unhappy with T-Mobile, then I'd say switch to VZW. At that point, it's just a matter of deciding if you can wait for the N1. If not, go with the Droid.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I would say network coverage is more important than handset. Afterall, if you have no network, what good is either phone?? :) So if you're really unhappy with T-Mobile, then I'd say switch to VZW. At that point, it's just a matter of deciding if you can wait for the N1. If not, go with the Droid.

I know. This'll sound odd, but the coverage is pretty much the same as when I was with AT&T, but cheaper. I only get EDGE at my apartment, but the road right in front of my apartment has one of the strongest T-MO 3G signals in the area. (literally, one foot off the road and its down to edge)

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Your story sounds just like mine. I was one of the first to get the N1 with T-Mobile. My reception was so poor, that after a week, I sent it back and replaced it with one of those cheap POS phones where you pay ahead. I'll be using that until the N1 comes out with Verizon or until the HTC Evo is released. Tough choices ahead...:)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Your story sounds just like mine. I was one of the first to get the N1 with T-Mobile. My reception was so poor, that after a week, I sent it back and replaced it with one of those cheap POS phones where you pay ahead. I'll be using that until the N1 comes out with Verizon or until the HTC Evo is released. Tough choices ahead...:)

Can you keep your number when you do that?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Good Question, I just forwarded my number to my work phone and waited for the phone I wanted to be released and then put it on the new phone.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm still not sure at all. I went and did a quick speed test with a Droid at my VZW store, and even at its slowest VZW's network is still TWICE as fast as any T-mobile signal I've been able to pull down yet. I can live with the slower processor of the Droid if I have to, and that speed difference was quite the eye-opener for me.

(I also checked out the Palm Pre Plus, which was just marked down to $50 for a 2-year and only $120 for a 1-year, including the mobile hotspot service for free)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, I returned the T-mobile Nexus One. I love the phone, but the service is just subpar.

My plan now is to bide my time with my iPhone until 4.0 is officially released, and to see what the new hardware looks like in June. If I don't like it, I'll move on to something Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp