DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

cooper_m22

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else having an issue where the screen dims with a notification? Specifically, whenever I receive a text through textra, my screen dims until the banner disappears or I manually swipe it out of the way. I am using lux lite, but everything worked fine prior to the update.

Also - sometimes my screen just turns itself up to 100% brightness without me doing anything. Auto adjust is off and when I go to swipe it back to where I have it, it doesn't recognize the brightness is all the way up, nor does lux lite.

Posted via the Android Central App
I am using textra with no problems

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I updated yesterday afternoon. the update took a while but seemed to go pretty smoothly. I noticed the heat up as well but quickly cooled down. Transitions seem smoother to me. I haven't noticed any battery difference yet but I was fine with it before so i'm good there. 2 issues i noticed though were as follows. speaker volume seems to be quieter to me, it was never super loud while listening to songs/videos but now it seems a bit quieter. The most frustrating issue I had was I could not twist to launch the camera unless the camera was already used before. If I closed the camera and then try the twist, no go. I am able to chop for the light however, so I decided to try something. I turned off the chop for light setting and now the camera works. so maybe the phone gets confused between the chop and twist motion. Anyone else notice this?

I didn't know if that was me or not, but it seems I'm not the only one with that issue. Didn't really care though. Hardly use speaker.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I can now read and reply to texts through my 2015 mazda 3! Sweet!

Anyone else having an issue where you can't preview texts in moto display using verizon's message+?

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
When I first installed 5.1 I got a popup after firstboot that asked if I wanted to get alerts, so it must be somewhere in there to disable it, not helpful I know.

Might have been to turn the alerts off but not disable the app under Settings -> Apps, which is what should be an option.

But my biggest pet peeve so far is the ringer to vibrate to silent change that didn't need to be changed. They broke what was perfect.

Still determining what I actually like about the update, if I do like something or something that seems second nature so quick that I forgot about it.

Change always takes time to get used to but I am not sure if I am a fan of this OS. I have enjoyed other upgrades. This one the verdict is still out there and I am not sure it will be good when it comes in. Still giving it time.

Namrobo

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Have you guys noticed that when you unpin a screen with a PW lock, it takes you all the to your lock screen? Is it supposed to be like that?
Also is there a way to remove the tutorial pop up everytime u pin something? Kinda annoying.
Also i found a glitch: when you pin a screen but hit back or home on accident before it loads all the way it ends up pinning your homescreen. And no you cant access any apps.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I have the updated avail, but yet to install. Today, her Android OS is absolutely destroying her battery to the tune of 28% app usage. She went from 96% charge when she left the house at 7a to 15% now at 2:30p (not on WiFi). Again, update hasn't been installed. My phone, on WiFi all day, is fine.

Anyone else notice this?

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

So I got the update and all is working and looking great. Just a quick question though, is there a way to get the Google Now swipe left screen at all? I know it was missing in KK and I used to have it on a rooted S3, was this a feature that was actually removed from the launcher itself or is this a result of a Moto thing?

Is that better/quicker than the "swipe over home button" action?

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

I've always thought that Swipe from home to get to Google now was finicky on the Turbo. I suspect it was due to the Capacative buttons. Usually I hold the home button until I see the "Google" bubble appear then swipe up.

That being said, if you have the same issue as me above, I could see how the Google Now Launcher would be quicker. Never actually tried it though. I prefer customizable icons to quicker access to GN.

BlackDragon22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what lux lite is, and I'm not using Textra, but the fact that the same setup didn't do this before makes me think it is an app compatibility thing with Lollipop. Maybe one of those apps isn't playing well with it.

I rebooted my phone, cleared cache, no fix. I just uninstalled lux lite and it seems to be behaving now.

(Lux lite is an app that controls your phone's brightness and can go darker/brighter than the system's default settings. It saves a little battery but of course the battery you save with your brightness is used powering the app in the background)

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who's phone bricked when downloading Lollipop. :(

My Verizon cloud was maxed out at 5gb.. didnt know until today that i actually had 25gb with my "all everything plan".. so i'm going to lose all of my photos, video and new contacts since December because i didnt backup. Absolutely sick!

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Sorry Cajun. That's a tough one to take

Two minutes after typing my post the doorbell rang.. FedEx with my replacement Droid Turbo.. Got here a day early... Was at Verizon Store at 6pm last night. They said it was too late in the day for it to arrive today.. So.. kudos to Verizon for that.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Two minutes after typing my post the doorbell rang.. FedEx with my replacement Droid Turbo.. Got here a day early... Was at Verizon Store at 6pm last night. They said it was too late in the day for it to arrive today.. So.. kudos to Verizon for that.

Is it new or refurbished?

zagato27

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Qi charging with my turbo before 5.1 and I had problems. Battery would drop from 100 to about zip so I went back to the wired charger. Anybody know if 5.1 fixed this problem?

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who's phone bricked when downloading Lollipop. :(

My Verizon cloud was maxed out at 5gb.. didnt know until today that i actually had 25gb with my "all everything plan".. so i'm going to lose all of my photos, video and new contacts since December because i didnt backup. Absolutely sick!
572675.jpg

Lol, but for real though, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope none of the pictures were particularly memorable or important

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Damn Ry, kudos to you for staying so on top of organizing our posts and separating them into specific categories! Your mod game is on point, son!

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I love how Hangouts keeps crashing when it isn't even installed and is deactivated in the apps list. That's annoying.

I had that problem right after I got my LG G4 and deactivated bloat. If you haven't rebooted since you disabled Hangouts, go in to your Disabled Apps and Force Stop. That fixed the Hangouts crash for me. Or, just rebooting should do it I imagine.

If you have already rebooted since disabling, then I'm at a loss.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I ended up updating since the majority of people's updates came off without a hitch, (sorry Cajun). I don't recall seeing this yet, so I thought I'd mention it here. I don't know if this is something in Lollipop or if LP is letting apps have more control, but I'm seeing the battery percentage again in the status bar icon. I had used the app Percent Enabler before, but you had to wait until it got around 50-60% to see anything (white digits on a white background). Currently am at 75% and the digits are black on the white background. Will see if this changes when it gets closer to halfway or not.

Anyways, just thought that was nice because it's one of the things I really hated that they did to the Droid Maxx in one of the later KK updates (changing the battery icon color so you could see the battery percentage).