Question Dropped call issues with regular Phone calls and Skype video chats

JMY2024

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
The issue I am having is when on video calling on Skype or just talking on phone at home I am experiencing dropped calls constantly.
I know the BLU phone is not the best but being new to Android I thought maybe it is a setting I need to fix.
Wifi calling is enabled because our cell reception at home is not very strong. Tracfone is our carrier and on Verizon towers which is the best for our area.
My husbands Samsung A03 doesn't have the dropped call issue (he doesn't use Skype so not sure on it). I had never had this issue before with my iPhone SE either.
I believe his Samsung is running Android 13 and my BLU is running 12.

My cell phone model is a BLU View Speed 5G

JMY2024

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
I haven't attempted the suggestion from B. Diddy yet but I did solve the Skype issue (I think). I happened to see my phone try to switch from wifi to cellular which caused the app to glitch and drop the connection. So when I use Skype I turn cellular data off and I haven't had any issues with Skype since.
As far as my phone calls they have been fine lately with no adjustments. So I am not sure what caused the issue for awhile.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That might have been the issue for both. If the phone was running into problems with really poor wi-fi, that might impact apps that rely on a web connection (like Skype) as well as phone calls (if you have wi-fi calling on). The phone might not be detecting a poor wi-fi network fast enough, and therefore switching to cell connection too late.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
If you'd prefer to just leave mobile data enabled all the time, try going into your Skype app's Settings menu and look for an option to Avoid cellular data. (the exact phrasing might vary, perhaps it'll be Reduce cellular data usage.)

Keep in mind that a typical audio-only phone call requires only a minimum amount of bandwidth. A video call however, is a bit more involved and requires more bandwidth to travel across. (..... An audio call is a highly-compressed, mono only stream while a video call is a combined audio and video steam. It's that video part that adds the need for more bandwidth.)
As far as your cellular service, you can send/receive audio phone calls and SMS text messages using just your base cellular service (SMS is text-only). No matter if you have mobile data or WiFi enabled or disabled, those two services will work for you, well as long as there's reliable cellular coverage.. But with something like a Skype video call, that has to be done over higher bandwidth connectivity so in that case WiFi or mobile data does need to be enabled.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oneup