Dropped phone in water every thing wrks but wont connect to Wi-Fi

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I put my Galaxy A20 in rice 2days everything works but the WiFi will not connect?it tries to but WILL not..you no why??

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I put my Galaxy A20 in rice 2days everything works but the WiFi will not connect?it tries to but WILL not..you no why??

It only takes a fraction of a second for an electrical component will fry itself and fail when it's exposed to water, so you should consider yourself luck that so far you've only found the WiFi function to have stopped working. As long as the phone starts up normally, the touchscreen functions, and the display lights up you have the ability to backup all your files, data, and such. Samsung's Smart Switch utility is a handy tool to do comprehensive backups:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2Fus%2Fapps%2Fsmart-switch%2F&token=CkFi9s3S
But getting back to your 'why' query, when you dropped the phone in water that allowed moisture inside the case. Leaving it rice for a couple of days probably helped extract and/or allow more evaporation of that moisture but a shorted out electrical component is permanently damaged, not matter if it's still exposed to water or completely dry. Also keep in mind the tolerances inside a smartphone are very, very tight, so when water gets inside, by basic capillary actions it becomes a lot more difficult to try out by external actions. There just isn't a lot of open-air spaces inside a phone. These days a lot of phones now include water-resisting features (i.e. openings sealed by rubberized insulation), typically referred to as something like IP68 (Ingress Protection) -- the A20 being in Samsung's 'budget' class does not include this feature. But you should give some serious thought into replacing this hardware-damaged phone now. It's going to be easier to transfer the user account from this phone to another when it's still usable. Odds are 50/50 WiFi will work again in the near future vs. complete failure of some critical component.