Dual cameras - is it worth?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
So, say you are in the market to buy a new phone with average to good camera specs, do you consider dual lens support? Do you feel such a spec enhances your pictures or provides better photo abilities?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally am loving my G6 due to the dual cameras. The wide angel is great for getting more in the shot without having to really move. Some may not care for it but for my needs over the past week or two that I have had it .. it has become so necessary :).

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
So, say you are in the market to buy a new phone with average to good camera specs, do you consider dual lens support? Do you feel such a spec enhances your pictures or provides better photo abilities?
Not at all. The Galaxy S7 did a perfectly good job last year and is up there with the latest this year, same with the Google Pixel.

Galaxy S7 and Google Pixel were the 2 best Camera phones in 2016 and neither had a dual camera setup.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Its not a deal breaker for me. I'll take it if its there but it would not deter me or attract me one way or another. I personally don't care for the optical distortions towards the sides of the image... but thats just me.

Generally with my LG V10 I find myself wanting to zoom in more often than zoom out.

Last edited:

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

I personally love taking photos and normally look for a phone with a good camera (doesn't need to be the latest & greatest)

If you look at devices like the Galaxy S8 or Google Pixel or iPhone 7. They all have a single shooter and they take fantastic photos. So personally, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I would still be ferry happy with a single lense :)

Don't get me wrong, the dual lense is awesome and I would love to have it but if I don't, I wouldn't be upset with my purchase.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I personally love taking photos and normally look for a phone with a good camera (doesn't need to be the latest & greatest)

If you look at devices like the Galaxy S8 or Google Pixel or iPhone 7. They all have a single shooter and they take fantastic photos. So personally, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I would still be ferry happy with a single lense :)

Don't get me wrong, the dual lense is awesome and I would love to have it but if I don't, I wouldn't be upset with my purchase.

It's like, once you used a dual lens camera, it's difficult to imagine one without. For example:

- iPhone 7 Plus does an excellent job in zoom and portrait mode.

- Honor 8 does an excellent job with wide aperture and monochrome photos

- LG G6 with the wide angle photos

I was surprised to see Samsung still continuing with single lens camera in their S8 line!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It's like, once you used a dual lens camera, it's difficult to imagine one without. For example:

- iPhone 7 Plus does an excellent job in zoom and portrait mode.

- Honor 8 does an excellent job with wide aperture and monochrome photos

- LG G6 with the wide angle photos

I was surprised to see Samsung still continuing with single lens camera in their S8 line!

Agreed, they definitely have some awesome features and I DO love them!

The wide angle lens is by far my favourite. There have been many times when I'm in a restaurant trying to take a photo and you end up standing 2 miles away from the table to fit everyone in lol.

but I wouldn't be like 'this phone is rubbished' if I didn't have the features :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, when I'm in the market for a new phone, I rarely look at camera specs as a deciding factor. If the camera is "average," that is usually good enough for me. However, when I had been researching what new phone to get in December, I saw that the Honor 8 had dual cameras; and while it looked cool, it didn't really impact my decision - it was just another "pro" on my pro-con list (yup, I make those).

But when I started using the camera the day I got the phone, I immediately noticed a difference. I'm not the best "phone photographer" by any means, but I really like the quality of my photos.

In future, I will certainly see this specification as an asset in choosing phones.

Red_Star

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
In my opinion, dual cam is necessary only if you want to make selfies :) But usually the front ones have very low quality so for better pics you'll need to buy a very upgraded smartphone which is really expensive. Personally for me it isn't important like in case of the standard cam too, again I a nice separate photo cam and I see no sense in paying much more money for getting more pixels in my mobile cam :D

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Of no real importance to me. My Dslr has only one, I can cope with that. That said going from my S8 to my Note 8, there are advantages to the second lens. But I still took many great pictures with all my single lens devices.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Of no real importance to me. My Dslr has only one, I can cope with that. That said going from my S8 to my Note 8, there are advantages to the second lens. But I still took many great pictures with all my single lens devices.

I've got 3 lenses for my Nikon and looking to get more, different lenses handle different situations better.

With that said I would much rather have a duel lens phone, as it improves performance in different situations.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
In my case no. I have too little photography skills to take advantage of it, and so far I don't really mind. Lol. A good camera is needed, but don't matter if it's dual or single lens. The other features are more important.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The way I look at it, if a phone manufacturer sacrifices on the main camera to get that secondary, I'll pass. And I just can't see how that can be avoided since it's hard enough to get one working right... Twice the sensors to calibrate, r&d cycles needed to integrate both in the app so operation is seamless, etc.

I had a G6, and I'm about to get rid of a V30... And I would have gladly traded in that wide angle camera - which I'll admit was far more useful than I previously thought - if I got a main camera that could match the one in my first gen XL. Actually, if they could match my two year old 6P, I'd take that deal.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
One cannot fight it at this point. What I am loving with the Dual Camera in my Note8 is the x2 Zoom, I do a lot of car spotting, and love that I do not have to get super close to get a good shot, just hit 'x2' and boom, zoomed in without major loss of quality, and having dual OIS makes it great for night time and shaky shots.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I bought my Honor 8 (about 19 months ago), I've loved the dual camera setup. I think that, when I decide to upgrade from my Pixel 2, if I see a dual camera phone, I'd go for it. It's pretty impressive.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky