DVDFab and EVO 4G

Amkey

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
I have been lurking around, and I did search first before posting, but forgive me if this has been covered before.

I have the EVO 4G and I am currently using the trial version of DVDFab to rip rental DVDs and put them on my phone. I love the software so far except for an audio issue which I think I have found a solution for, but the software does not have an output device choice for the EVO 4G. I used the droidX choice and it did not seem to be bad bad quality.

I was curious of what other EVO owners were using as their device when using this software.

I also wanted to know if there was another preferred (based on experience) software other than the DVDFab that is easy. I don't want to be a videographer or anything. I just want movies to watch at the gym and on the plane. I don't mind shelling out the money for a quality, easy product that works great with the EVO.

Any help is appreciated

Amkey

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The fact that you are ripping rental DVDs means that you are technically pirating the movies in case you were unaware.

When you rip a DVD for use on a portable device you *should* only be doing it to movies that you own.

That being said, if you want to rip DVDs that you own, you could try Handbrake (a free program) or Xilisoft DVD ripper (paid) and use iPhone type settings with a mp4 output file.

Amkey

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! Also I did mean movies that I "own" however, I have just purchased them via rental stores =) Oh and it is also against the law to copy even movies that you own and have purchased. You can't copy any digital media for any reason legally.

I have read that Handbrake is really for the more advanced movie watcher. I do not have the time or technical expertise to manually input settings and so forth and I have read in that case, to leave Handbrake alone.

I will try and use the iPhone setting on DVDFab and see where that takes me. Hopefully I can nail the sound issue.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Or just download bit torrents using Swarm on your phone and watch them in Rock Player... now I know the lectures will come after that comment. :)

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
I have been lurking around, and I did search first before posting, but forgive me if this has been covered before.

I have the EVO 4G and I am currently using the trial version of DVDFab to rip rental DVDs and put them on my phone. I love the software so far except for an audio issue which I think I have found a solution for, but the software does not have an output device choice for the EVO 4G. I used the droidX choice and it did not seem to be bad bad quality.

I was curious of what other EVO owners were using as their device when using this software.

I also wanted to know if there was another preferred (based on experience) software other than the DVDFab that is easy. I don't want to be a videographer or anything. I just want movies to watch at the gym and on the plane. I don't mind shelling out the money for a quality, easy product that works great with the EVO.

Any help is appreciated

Amkey

I use iPhone setting. Works like a charm.

Amkey

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I went home and I fixed the audio sync issue by downloading the older version of DVDFab and then I converted the movie by using the iPhone as the output. I used just regular iPhone and NOT the choice for iPhone h264. The movie converted fine, but the picture came over somewhat small. Like super widescreen and I am pretty sure I had it set to 4:3 letterbox, but really can't remember. I tried to convert it using the output as iPhone h264 and the size was 1.3GB and it totally froze up my phone when I tried to play it back.

I will keep messing with it by using the regular iPhone as the output, and I will see if cropping helps with the picure.

I would like the movie to take up my entire screen without any black bars. Any tips on that by chance?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Amkey

May 4, 2011
Visit site

TheTolsonator

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link to the how to article on using Handbrake. I am loving it, however it takes forever but I don't care. I wanted to ask what the best perimeters to use for the picture size for the EVO? I tried to use 480X800 but it wont let me use that. I just want it to take up my entire screen.

Thanks.
Amkey

Did you make sure to uncheck the keep aspect ratio, so you could input the proper Evo screen resolution?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

dazz59

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
DVD Catalyst 4. It's not free, but for under $10 it's a great program IMHO. I had some difficulty getting the previous version to work with my Evo, and the dev was answering my emails in under 10 minutes....

It also seems like the dev is keeping up fairly well with each new android device as it is released. I use it for my xoom and evo.

For encrypted DVD's that dvd catalyst doesn't decode, I used DVDFab to rip an iso, then I use the iso in DVD Catalyst.

DVD Catalyst 4 | DVD and MKV to Galaxy Tab, Iconica, iPad2, NOOK, Playbook, Transformer, Xoom and more.

Internetpilot

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had years of success using PQDVD products for converting DVDs for all my various portable devices, but they're definitely not the cheapest. I bought into them back when they weren't quite so pricey, but long enough ago that every app was still rather up there in price. It's a pretty fast, high quality conversion, and you don't have to be a video genius. I've also used DVDFab for a long time now, but not for converting videos for portable devices.

If I had to go a free route, I would probably use DVDFab free version to rip the DVD and then use Any Video Converter which is also free. It can convert from just about any file type (including a decrypted DVD) to just about any file type, and it's fairly easy to use, too.

Vic Lovan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I use iPhone setting. Works like a charm.

My phone is the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and I tried with DVDFab with a BUNCH of the presets, including one that was for a GNex and nothing worked until I found this post. The iPhone 5 1080p setting worked like a charm! It puts out an .m4v file that plays perfectly.

Now it just seems so simple.
Thank you to PookiePrancer!

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My phone is the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and I tried with DVDFab with a BUNCH of the presets, including one that was for a GNex and nothing worked until I found this post. The iPhone 5 1080p setting worked like a charm! It puts out an .m4v file that plays perfectly.

Now it just seems so simple.
Thank you to PookiePrancer!

You're welcome! Most Android devices will also handle Generic mp4.aac setting as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itay85