[ED01 FroYo][SCH-i500] 2.2 Officially Announced by Verizon!

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Actually it was an app that got you daily comics from newspapers like Dilbert and Doonesbury. Forgot what it was called but it had a dog as a logo. "Daily Comics" or "Daily Funnies." I have PDAnet and it seemed to re-install from backup but I haven't tested it yet. Maybe I should.

It's possible that the developer of that app may of removed it and it's no longer available at all. That's really the only thing I could see causing you to be unable to find it at all.

MarcoPSU

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I was chomping at the bit for froyo before this update and now that I finally have it I can't stand it! As a QA Analyst by trade, I honestly don't think there was any QA testing done on this update, because I can't possibly imagine how the hell this update was actually approved to exit the QA phase and into prod with the amount of serious deal-breaker type bugs that were present. I mean the whole point of QA is to ensure that a piece of software isn't rolled out with serious bugs that affect the usability of the software (or in this case the device that employs it). I've never seen a device with more potential get screwed up so much by such stupid and absolutely avoidable bugs and screw-ups. Shame on you Verizon and Samsung.....

sroake4

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you Marco. My brother and one of my employees have both done the OTA to froyo and are both unhappy with the phone's performance compared to eclair. I have spent some time checking out their phones and see no reason to upgrade with the OTA. Why risk poor battery life and other malfunctions when my phone works perfectly the way it is. (Rooted and debloated EA28)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

PromoTheRobot

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Eh, Froyo has been okay for me. But my biggest disappointment is how the update did nothing to fix my issues with Swype. My phone insists on certain nonsense words when I swype and even when I delete them from the dictionary they are back in 5 minutes. It's a complete joke and forces me to edit every message I swype.

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone rooted the new 2.2 ed03 yet?

I rooted my phone just after I bought the it a few days ago...before I got to the car from verizon my phone prompted the ed03 OTA...so far no issues, but I haven't got around to figuring out voodoo, (or any other kernel for that matter) nor have I decided on any particular ROM...

notesdude

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was running Superclean 2.9.2 NV - Was better than the stock 2.1 but even it would warm boot occasionally or I'd have to reboot or yank the battery.

Been running Froyo almost since it came out. Seems more solid / less buggy...
Now for the big BUT

The network performance SUCKS. I listen to streaming radio frequently - Almost NEVER had a false "Stream has ended", even on 3G. NOW I get them on Wi-Fi.
VERY Unimpressed... especially after a 6+ month wait from when other manufacturers had 2.2.

glennp

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I use to like my Fascinate but ever since updating the phone it's a piece of garbage! My phone has a mind of it's own. It locks up constantly, camera turns on by itself, syncing with my truck is sporadic, battery life is now non-existent and the list goes on and on. My wife has the same phone and her issues are exactly as mine. Wish we would have never of updated the phones.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Luckly my GF has had no issues since the update.. her phone is actually working better than before... guess she is one of the lucky ones... if anything does go wrong though. I will post back... and let you know!

Goombaw

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Dose any one know if there is a plan fix the froyo update or are we just supposed to deal with phones that freeze for no reason other than the user is trying to use it and a battery that all the sudden cant make it through the day.

kjacw

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Help to Newbie so please be gentle. I might have not looked in the right place on this forum. Please advise

I am running on Verizon Fascinate__ firmware 2.2.1; Kernel 2.6.32.9; Build SCH-i500.EB01.

I would like to:

1. Install Cyanogen. Is there a ROM for this phone or something that is efficient and smooth and looks stunning.

2. Am running the latest system update for my android.

There is so much on this forum that is confusing. I am kinda of a visual learner

kjacw

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Help to Newbie so please be gentle. I might have not looked in the right place on this forum. Please advise

I am running on Verizon Fascinate__ firmware 2.2.1; Kernel 2.6.32.9; Build SCH-i500.EB01.

I would like to:

1. Install Cyanogen. Is there a ROM for this phone or something that is efficient and smooth and looks stunning.

2. Am running the latest system update for my android.

There is so much on this forum that is confusing. I am kinda of a visual learner
By the way when I select System updates to check for system updates
on my fascinate it says "System update is unavailable for this Eng build mode". Do I need to force the official Android 2.2 Froyo update?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are on EB01, that is not an official update, and you won't be able to do an official OTA from there.

The latest official update is ED04. If you want this build, you can use Odin do flash back to stock DL09, which will then allow you to update to ED04.

If you could care less about official stock, there are several ROMs available, the most popular being UKB 2.1 and the new UGB. The Fascinate doesn't have a full CM port yet, but it is very close. It is, however, still considered in the testing phase.

You can see all of the different ROMs available in Jaekar99's wonderful thread. There are other very helpful threads in the ROMs/Hacks subforum as well

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey Kev,
Just a head's up. JT's CM7 build has been accepted into mainline CM7. Everything is working on it with only a few minor bugs or quirks. He got MMS working, but that fix apparently has to be pulled when the ROM gets mainlined. Fortunately though once it gets mainlined, the Cyanogen team will be lending their help to iron out the bugs and quirks and possibly provide a better MMS fix. Good times.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well there's also the OMFGB ROM now too, it's pretty amazing. Unbelievable how many good choices we have now for the Fascinate. Like I said.........good times.

I loved all the possibilities of the fascinate.. and a new fascinate has a few newer features in the settings,,, nothing much but a differencee.. my trouble is that I live in a fringe area and after my fassy took a swim i jumped ship to the Droid Charge..so far i can make recieve calls with ease but i do misss the support the fassy has..seems the Charge is on its own..
miss ya fassy owners and the support..perhaps the charge might get themes etc an update or 2 later after the fassy is topped out.. thx for the good themes and roms to all in fascinate forums.. its been a ride..
android forever