EeePad Transformer...

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
The screen and built quality - If the transformer can achieve both in comparison to the xoom, then my xoom will just have to go back.

Built quality of the xoom is top rated, but the screen is not something I'm happy about. It's not the worst, but it could've been better. I'm confident that the IPS screen on the Transformer will already make it better than the xoom, but I'm not sure about the built quality. I'll have to see it when it's out.

zach_alt

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Everything I've read says it feels fantastic, and I like what I've seen of the back. I just want a firm price and release date so I can decide!

AtomicAge

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Everything I've read says it feels fantastic, and I like what I've seen of the back. I just want a firm price and release date so I can decide!

Well supposedly the Canadian release date is May 7 and the US was slated for a release a couple of weeks before then. I'd be surprised if the price for the 16GB version was not $399 since that same price was leaked from both a couple of different retailers.

I returned my Xoom before my 2 weeks were up (figured if the Transformer bombed for some reason I could always just buy the Xoom again). I think I read somewhere that the Asus UI could be disabled to get a vanilla HC experience. So I really don't see a much of a downside to it unless you absolutely need a microUSB. The Xoom might be a more attractive device because Asus put a stupid second bezel on the Transformer, but this difference is not worth $200 for me.

Reactions: eboni_android

zach_alt

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
It has microUSB on it. I don't get where people are seeing that it's gimped without the dock...

The dock just adds two full size USB ports, a full size SD card reader, and another 8 hours of battery.

AtomicAge

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

zach_alt

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
saw a video, can't remember which one.

even if there isnt, with no charging by microusb on these tablets, what do you need it for?

Last edited:

Parker9706

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My problem here in Germany is that we still do not have a release date for the XOOM (rumors are "not before june").
But since the Transformer will be released in UK arround mid of April I assume it will be the same in Germany or at least we may be allowed to order from amazon.co.uk.
I am not able to order the XOOM from amazon.com ("unable to ship to your address blablabla)

So for me the Transformer is more attractive simply because I desperately want a 10" tablet with Honeycomb!

On ASUS's facebook page ( ASUS Eee | Facebook ) It says this...
We?ve checked with our sources and we can confirm that the Eee Pad Transformer will be making its way into the United States, Germany, France, Italy, Singapore, and Hong Kong this April and will be slowly rolled out to other markets from May.

zach_alt

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
oh and from what I'm seeing/reading, WaveShare isnt really a custom UI, it's a custom launcher, so pretty much an app.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, the more I think about this thing, the more I like the transformer idea.

A 16 hour netbook that you can rest anywhere (no need to worry about setting it directly on a blanket and then having it overheat) plus the ability to rip the screen off and use it as a stand alone tablet. If I could get the transformer and the keyboard for around the $600 of the Xoom, that would be pretty sweet.

I?ve got a week to decide before I have to return my Xoom?

-Suntan

Rhyyker

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My 14 days are up on Sunday, I'm going to give the Xoom two more nights to convince me to keep it before it goes back. I'm going to use the downtime between the xoom and the transformer's release to decide if I even need a tablet to begin with.

edit: wait, did I read that right? This thing has no mini usb to speak of? So without the dock there is no way to connect to a PC and copy/paste files?

AtomicAge

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
My 14 days are up on Sunday, I'm going to give the Xoom two more nights to convince me to keep it before it goes back. I'm going to use the downtime between the xoom and the transformer's release to decide if I even need a tablet to begin with.

edit: wait, did I read that right? This thing has no mini usb to speak of? So without the dock there is no way to connect to a PC and copy/paste files?

I think they have a proprietary port - USB cable. It's the same port that's used to connect it to the dock.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

It wasn't listed, but it may just be too common for ASUS to mention. Either way, we will find out pretty soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001